Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My 2023 Trek FX Sport 6 Upgrades (photo heavy)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

My 2023 Trek FX Sport 6 Upgrades (photo heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 08:31 AM
flat tires

Bikes: 2023 Trek FX Sport 6, 2016 Trek Zektor 2 with a few upgrades, 2001 Trek 5200 with many upgrades over the years

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love your set up! Shimano seems to only recommend drop bar brake levers for the GRX810 calipers. Have you encountered any problems? I bought SLX flat bar levers and have reservations matching them to the GRX calipers.
Old 07-08-23, 08:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by flat tires
I love your set up! Shimano seems to only recommend drop bar brake levers for the GRX810 calipers. Have you encountered any problems? I bought SLX flat bar levers and have reservations matching them to the GRX calipers.
I'd recommend asking in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum if nobody here knows for sure. I'm about 75% confident that all Shimano hydraulic levers are cross-compatible, and that the only mechanical difference between all the braking systems, besides the styling and brake pad type and even hose end type itself, is the brake hose...the lower end systems use the BH59 hose and the higher end systems use the BH90 hose. More on that on Epic Bleed Solutions' website (I'm not a customer and have no connection, other than Google finding me their handy brake hose chart). I think the primary difference is the BH59 hose is "softer" and produces more of a softer/squishier lever feel whereas the BH90 hose is "harder" and produces more of a firm/aggressive lever feel. I have one set of Deore brakes with the BH90 hose and I can say that they're definitely more aggressive brakes than my other sets that use BH59, but I don't know if the hose is the only factor there.

Even with the hose difference, though, I think you can use either hose with any of the brake systems...you just have to mind the correct hose end and/or olive type.
Old 07-08-23, 10:24 AM
flat tires

Bikes: 2023 Trek FX Sport 6, 2016 Trek Zektor 2 with a few upgrades, 2001 Trek 5200 with many upgrades over the years

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I have always had a road bike and I bought a new FX Sport 6. I was caught by surprise how technical bikes have become and hybrids are truly hybrids of their own imagination. Posting in the Mechanics Forum is a good idea and I will start a thread there. I think the flat bar levers are more powerful which would make sense due to mountain bikes in general being heavier, have heavier calipers, heavier wheels, heavier tires, demand more hard on/off use, etc. I hope the olives, fittings, and brakelines match up. I wasn't planning on doing all this (or at least right away), but the bike came with Promax brakes.
Old 07-08-23, 05:36 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
The Ritchey carbon bar came in and yes it's feather light.. It's actually lighter than I was expecting.

Still waiting on the carbon stem. If Trek does not have an ETA soon then I'll order it elsewhere. I found a place in Europe that has it in stock so they'll be next on the list.. While the Europe stock is cheaper it actually comes out at about the same price after paying for international shipping..
How much are you liking the Ritchey? I have one being delivered Monday (710mm with 30mm rise).
Haven't decided on the cut down yet. Probably 660 or 685.

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Old 07-09-23, 08:04 PM
Jbirdie57

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That is one sexy bike!!!!
Old 07-09-23, 08:06 PM
Jbirdie57

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just gorgeous...have a 21' Verve 2
interested in upgrading to a 1by....what would you suggest?
Old 07-10-23, 06:01 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbirdie57
Just gorgeous...have a 21' Verve 2
interested in upgrading to a 1by....what would you suggest?
I would consider very carefully the actual gear range you want or need before changing anything. Take the time to do the math and figure out the gear inch range you need to cover both your slowest riding and your fastest descents. If that gear inch range is relatively small, then a 1x drivetrain might work for you. If that range is relatively large, then a 1x might not work well for you.

I converted some of my bikes to 1x, and I switched nearly all of them back to 3x. I found too many compromises with 1x to make it work well for me.

The one bike that is still converted to 1x is a vintage Peugeot mixte that my family uses as a neighborhood cruiser, and we definitely don't need a lot of gear range on that one.
Old 07-24-23, 01:48 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
How much are you liking the Ritchey? I have one being delivered Monday (710mm with 30mm rise).
Haven't decided on the cut down yet. Probably 660 or 685.
It's been great. No complaints at all with it.. I am sure you'll love it.
Old 07-24-23, 01:49 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by flat tires
No issues whatsoever.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-11-23, 01:50 PM
Cagatay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks awesome. One of my friends did a similar upgrade. Spent tons of money on a Trek FX. At the end, he sold the bike and purchased a road bike.
Old 09-23-23, 03:22 PM
jmarques

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raqball Looks great! I bought a FX sport 5 a few days ago.

Is your bag a Bontrager Adventure Boss Frame Bag? Which size did you get for your Large frame? I don't know if I should get the 3 or the 5 liter.

Also, which water bottles and holders do you use? I'm trying to avoid that the bag makes too difficult to take the water bottles out.

Thank you!
Old 01-08-24, 11:52 PM
Parsival

Bikes: 23 Sirrus X.50 / 21 Sirrus 6.0 / 19 EPIC Carbon Comp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 15 Posts
nice build!
Old 02-10-24, 06:33 PM
Daveshark

Bikes: Trek Superfly FS 9.8 SL / Scott CR1 Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is really interesting…..

I’ve been looking at the FX S 6 for a while. It seems that Trek has worked out the issues of substituting lower rate components, at least I hope so. I rode a new FX S 6 a couple of days ago and it had all the Shimano components as per the specs on the website. Even so, I wasn’t impressed with the brakes at all. I much prefer the Deore XT set up on my mtn bike, or even the old 105s on my older road bike.

is it possible to buy the FX frame set and build up ?. Or is it just as economical to buy the bike as is and do the upgrade as described here ?

Thanks !