Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2023 Trek FX3 Review

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2023 Trek FX3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 02:40 PM
jean4181

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike but needs some upgrades

Bought my FX3 Eq in Aug'23 and had done over 3000km to date in rain, snow, ice and sunshine commuting to work.
I immediately upgraded to 35mm Conti's with softer compound for more grip in slippery conditions, installed MTB flats as well as changed the seat to a more comfy Bontrager Elite MTB saddle.
1000km in, replaced the KMC chain and stock wheels for Mavic 12mm Thru-axle wheels with cartridge bearings for ease of maintenance in future. 2000km in, replaced the bottom bracket as bearings were shot. Currently upgrading to RS Paragon fork as the uneven paved surfaces are killing my wrists and shoulders. Also read of a couple of guys snapping their CF forks and ending up in the ER, not worth the risk. The Shimano deraileurs are not as bomb proof compared to SRAM so they need constant TLC.

Overall great bike for the daily commuter, if you maintain it properly.
Old 04-02-24, 08:54 AM
tenrec

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=andlum;23195495]Hi there,

greetings from Germany.

>> My wife bought a Trek FX 3 last year and keeps complaining that the gearing is not ideal for her. We live in a rather flat area and she is only using the two „hardest“ gears and even they feel odd cadence-wise.
A local shop offered us to upgrade the bike to 2by (Shimano Deore crank, shifter, derailleur and so on) for about 300€.
Is there any other way to improve things for her? 300€ seem a bit steep considering it’s 1/3 of the retail price. <<

It's expensive because derailleurs and other drivetrain components are expensive these days. (I wonder if it would require a new chain, as well.) Before going that route, ask them about the possibility of putting a larger chainring up front. That would have the effect of increasing the "difficulty" of all the gears. It's possible a new chain might be needed, but I would think.that a new chainring and chain should surely cost less than a whole new front derailleur.

Last edited by tenrec; 04-02-24 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Incorrect character
Old 04-02-24, 09:37 AM
tenrec

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
>> 2000km in, replaced the bottom bracket as bearings were shot. <<

That seems like awfully fast wear for a bottom bracket. I have a number of Trek bikes with far more mileage than that (plus an FX3 with a little more) and I've never had a problem with a bottom bracket.