Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shipping bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shipping bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 10:14 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Shipping bikes

What is the best way to ship a bike? I have moved to AK and there are a couple of my vintage Schwinn bike I would like to get shipped up here. Packing tips is mostly what I am after.
Justin
Old 08-22-08, 10:36 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
What is the best way to ship a bike? I have moved to AK and there are a couple of my vintage Schwinn bike I would like to get shipped up here. Packing tips is mostly what I am after.
Justin
Get a good solid bike box from the LBS, you will probably have to break the bikes at least part way down to get them in the boxes. I pack mine using the foam pipe wrap stuff. I also add some wood blocking at stategic points to keep the box from getting crushed on a critical component. Also add wood in the drop outs to keep them where they belong. I have a couple of pictures somewhere if I can find them. Check with an LBS you trust and have them price packing one up for you. One LBS here in SC will do it for about $40 and do a pretty decent job.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-22-08, 11:42 AM
guygadois 

Bikes: yikes, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have had good luck with Fed-Ex. Dave Moulton has a good page on how to pack your bike up. Check out his website.

Guy
Old 08-22-08, 02:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I get a bike now and then from a guy in Texas. He cuts the end off a bike box about 12" in, and then tapes up the large portion and stands it on end. Then he takes the brakes off the mounts and the chain rings and pedals off. He also removes the fork. He slides the rear wheel/frame down into the box, then the bits, then puts in the front wheel and gets cardboard/foam etc between touching parts. Then he slides the end he cut off over the other part. The box is then about a foot shorter and meets USPS rules. He's shipping for about $20.
He's shipped me two or three with no damage.

I tried it with a bike to Ohio from NC forBike Tales. < $19.00 shipped via the Post Office.
Old 08-22-08, 02:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Yesterday I watched a guy pay UPS $112. to ship a bike from Kalamazoo MI to Denver CO. This was on top of paying a LBS for the box and packing it for him.

Old 08-23-08, 01:52 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a box from LBS (free) and he also gave me hundreds of these little airbag things to pack it with.
Minor disassembly required.
Make sure you get the right size box, (road bike, mountain bike, BMX etc)
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-25-08, 11:08 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Now to decide which ones get to come north and which ones get to find new homes.
Justin
Old 08-25-08, 02:14 PM
jjciiijs

Location: CO....Hetchins MO, Merlin XL, Trek, Klien, Specialized, Kestral, Bataglin, Guerciotti, Bianchi, Schwinn, Colnago Geo, Miele, Contini, Feggin, Cannondale, Lemond, Ciocc, Giant, Rossin

Bikes: Hetchins MO, Merlin XL, Trek, Klien, Specialized, Bataglin, Guerciotti, Bianchi, Schwinn C19, Colnago Geo, Miele, Contini, Feggin,Cannondale, Lemond,Ciocc, Giant, Rossin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done the LBS bike box thing. I have even used the original protection that came with these boxes. However, if i had to ship one of my 'collectable' bikes i would get that pie shapped box i saw on the web when i entered "bike boxes". I could then be sure it was not rubbed or scratched and the box can be used again. The delux box even has wheels. BTY, the box is made of cardboard.
Old 08-25-08, 02:21 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I get a bike now and then from a guy in Texas. He cuts the end off a bike box about 12" in.....
I did this with just a frameset - made the box as small as possible. It still cost $52 for FedEx Ground to send it from CA to PA.

S. J. Perelman
Old 08-25-08, 02:55 PM
MerckxMad
10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be prepared to be shocked. I've noticed that shipping costs have risen about 30% across the board with all carriers. I just shipped two bikes from East to West coast, broken down into a standard bike box. One went UPS for $75; the other went FedEx for $100.
Old 08-25-08, 04:07 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
https://chainwheeldrive.com/page.cfm?PageID=286

I just shipped a bike to rural Ga from MI. With all the surcharges and oversized fees and residential+rural delivery, it was still just over $50, insured to $900. This as shipped UPS, per the customer, Fedex may be cheaper.

Keep the box under 130" combined length & girth and you are good to go.