Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mustache Bars - break positioning

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mustache Bars - break positioning

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 01:22 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Forget about the levers, please give me more info on that front rack. Awesome.
Old 12-08-08, 03:34 PM
chase.
out of shape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i believe that's a nitto mini rack... it looks like something rivendell or VO might have.
Old 12-08-08, 03:52 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
That's what I thought at first but its different. The nitto rack would mount through the brake hole, where the centerpull is mounted. This rack id designed for these brakes and tucks under the brake. I just thought it was cool.
Old 07-02-23, 11:53 PM
Chester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
Ok, are these moustache handlebars? I really like these and the brakes as well. Does anyone know any details on the brake levers?

Raleigh_Retro_Lauterwasser_XX.jpg (600×466) (velospace.org)
These are Lauterwasser bars and Soma makes a modern version in aluminum and steel:

Lauterwasser Alloy Bar - Soma Fabrications
Lauterwasser CrMo Bar - Soma Fabrications

The clamp area is 25.4mm to work with that standard for quill stems, but the grip area is 22.2mm so that you can use modern grips for MTB bars, and MTB shift levers.

Soma also makes a moustache bar variation with 25.4mm clamp and 22mm grip area if you want to use MTB levers near the grip are of the moustache "drops."

As for the OP question, not that anyone has to follow it, but the one production bike I know of that was fixed/SS that came spec'd with moustache bars was the Redline 925. The first model year, maybe second too, came with moustache bars but later model year(s) switched to bullhorns with reverse levers. When they had moustache bars, the catalog "spec" was to have the levers installed pretty much at the apex of the forward curves:

2007 Redline Perfomance Catalog by Redline Bicycles - Issuu (Page 7)
Redline 925 Review - CampfireCycling.com

I had one of these, and loved it. Rode it fixed and SS, mostly SS. But I think the stock position of the brake levers was sort of a compromise position that I think was to split the difference between optimizing for reaching the levers from the forward curves and from the "drops" grip area. And, IMO, sort of worst of both worlds as a result.

Personally, I think it's probably better to go at least a bit more toward the inside of the curves to optimize for riding on them, or more toward the outside to reach them better when in the drops. But, for the latter, probably better to use the Soma variation and use MTB levers that'll be even better for using them when in the drops/grips.
Old 07-03-23, 06:14 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
This thread could have been locked way back after post #3 but here we are all these years later and with so little going on here anymore that I welcome Chester's resurrecting it.

And in fact I had one of those mustache handlebar 9-to-5's. But back then those bars were so obscure to the sw8 phiksay scene that they were replaced and gotten rid of PDQ. But it really was a great all-around bike.

And not that I'm trying to sell anything here but if anybody here loves mustache handlbars and would like to have a Nitto RM-016 which is the original like you see in those pics from back in '08, but in the rare & more costly 31.8mm clamp version for your modern stem setup - I might could tell you where to find a new one for less than MSRP
Likes For IAmSam: