Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for a large trunk bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 02:37 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Doesn't really have to be waterproof. Nor does it have to have a Q-R system. Does need to be relatively easy to carry off the bike for minimum time/distance. Got to be able to fit a couple layers of clothes, as well as the obligatory keys, wallet, phone, bus pass, mp3 player, spare batteries...

Large panniers won't work for me due to heel strike. Saddle bag panniers are attractive, but most that I've seen look like they would be awkward carrying around. If I could find some panniers that rode higher (e.g. the hardware was lower on the bag instead of near the top) then I'd consider that option.
Old 01-08-11, 02:50 PM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked at this one yet?
https://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categ...tailrider.html
My experience with Arkel has been positive; they make decent stuff.
Old 01-08-11, 03:25 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
While I love mine and you'll need to pry it from my cold dead fingers, I wouldn't classify the Arkel Tailrider as a large trunk bag. Yes, it expands a bit, but when I need to carry pants, for example, I have to strap them under the expansion straps on the top, outside.

I'd classify it as medium-sized, but a lot more stylish than the usual black nylon shoebox ones.
Old 01-08-11, 03:57 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MTX DXP
https://topeak.com/products/TrunkBags-MTX
Yes it has fold out panniers but since they are on the side of the bag they actually ride higher then a conventional pannier. A true 4 season bag. In the winter you have the panniers when you need to shed a couple layers. In the summer the main compartment is insulated and you can take a water bottle get it near freezing and stick it in there with you lunch to keep it reasonably cold.
My only negative comment is it tends to collect extra junk (weight).

Now let me also point out another option. I have used my MTX for 2 years and while happy with it I recently tried out a mediums size handle bar bag. The gain is I can strap my iPhone on top and use the GPS, speaker phone and Ipod (on speaker) as I roll. My camera is very handy as is other items without having to fully dismount. In fact a lot of stuff can be grabbed as I roll if I need it. I have gone to a small seat bag for my patch kit, tools etc. I keep my personal junk in the bar bag. When I need to shed a couple layers I bungee it to the rack. I have the cheap bar bag I picked up from performanc on sale fro $32. I strung a bungee under it off the bars to steady it. So far I am liking it quite a bit.
Old 01-08-11, 04:51 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no1mad, been following your thread with racks and pannier bag. Instead trunk rack bag, I just installed a Escape Pod from Planetbike. I can fit a small to medium size light duty back pack inside the pod and take the backpack with me with most of my stuff. It is water resistant. I also mod some pannier to bolt onto the pod which raised the bottom of the pannier. I didn't have any heel strike to begin with but did notice the gain of clearance. I also mod the back with a bar to attach all goodies of rear lightsThe cost of the Pod is about $54. Pricey? Yes and no because some trunk bag can approach that price range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1713.jpg (98.9 KB, 40 views)
DSCF1710.jpg (96.4 KB, 35 views)
DSCF1711.jpg (100.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-08-11, 06:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
MTX DXP
https://topeak.com/products/TrunkBags-MTX
Yes it has fold out panniers but since they are on the side of the bag they actually ride higher then a conventional pannier. A true 4 season bag. In the winter you have the panniers when you need to shed a couple layers. In the summer the main compartment is insulated and you can take a water bottle get it near freezing and stick it in there with you lunch to keep it reasonably cold.
My only negative comment is it tends to collect extra junk (weight).

Now let me also point out another option. I have used my MTX for 2 years and while happy with it I recently tried out a mediums size handle bar bag. The gain is I can strap my iPhone on top and use the GPS, speaker phone and Ipod (on speaker) as I roll. My camera is very handy as is other items without having to fully dismount. In fact a lot of stuff can be grabbed as I roll if I need it. I have gone to a small seat bag for my patch kit, tools etc. I keep my personal junk in the bar bag. When I need to shed a couple layers I bungee it to the rack. I have the cheap bar bag I picked up from performanc on sale fro $32. I strung a bungee under it off the bars to steady it. So far I am liking it quite a bit.
I'm not sure I could go with a bar bag. I have a small rise bar that has grip shifts and my cheap Coleman Max LED light is hose clamped to the bar as well.
Old 01-08-11, 07:04 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
no1mad, been following your thread with racks and pannier bag. Instead trunk rack bag, I just installed a Escape Pod from Planetbike. I can fit a small to medium size light duty back pack inside the pod and take the backpack with me with most of my stuff. It is water resistant. I also mod some pannier to bolt onto the pod which raised the bottom of the pannier. I didn't have any heel strike to begin with but did notice the gain of clearance. I also mod the back with a bar to attach all goodies of rear lightsThe cost of the Pod is about $54. Pricey? Yes and no because some trunk bag can approach that price range.
I love this setup.
Old 01-08-11, 07:25 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
colleen c, I have been kicking around the idea of a hard sided top box for a while now, but haven't actually bought one because I'm sure that it would fit. I might yet get one if I have to start locking my bike up at the bus station instead of taking with me to work.

On a side note, you are a very creative individual. I'm half surprised that you haven't taken a Dremel or some epoxy and mounted a bunch of lights to that thing.
Old 01-08-11, 09:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ortlieb rack pack, a side opening Dry duffel, with a shoulder strap .
put something stiff in the bottom and you can strap it on sideways..

Seattle Sports makes similar, strap it down on your rack,
straps extra.
Old 01-08-11, 10:39 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no1mad
colleen c, I have been kicking around the idea of a hard sided top box for a while now, but haven't actually bought one because I'm sure that it would fit. I might yet get one if I have to start locking my bike up at the bus station instead of taking with me to work.

On a side note, you are a very creative individual. I'm half surprised that you haven't taken a Dremel or some epoxy and mounted a bunch of lights to that thing.
Honestly speaking, I came close to boring out some hole and mount the MS tail light and the PDW 1000 inside the pod with the lens flush. However, I don't trust the reliabilty of the MS tail light and not totally satisfied with the PDW blinking pattern as being better than the PB Super Flash. Therfore I made an universal mounting bar out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe and bended the ends to give some side lumination. This allows me to change my lights as needed when new design of lights come off the engineering desk
Old 01-08-11, 10:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
While I love mine and you'll need to pry it from my cold dead fingers, I wouldn't classify the Arkel Tailrider as a large trunk bag. Yes, it expands a bit, but when I need to carry pants, for example, I have to strap them under the expansion straps on the top, outside.

I'd classify it as medium-sized, but a lot more stylish than the usual black nylon shoebox ones.
Since I know that you have direct experience with this product, care to comment on how long the velcro used in the mounting straps last? My experience with velcro is it fails over time, and the Tailrider looks like it would last a long time.

Though it is kinda on the pricey side, it would make a nice addition to my ever-growing bag collection. Should I need extra capacity, something like a grocery/market pannier with a shoulder strap could work.
Old 01-09-11, 07:09 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
That looks wild.
Old 01-09-11, 08:35 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Since I know that you have direct experience with this product, care to comment on how long the velcro used in the mounting straps last? My experience with velcro is it fails over time, and the Tailrider looks like it would last a long time.
Mine is 4½ years old and has over 20,000 miles on it. The velcro is just fine. The whole bag is just fine. It's just sun-faded on top (I have the red one) and it could use a bath.
Old 01-09-11, 08:37 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are sold under a number of brand names. you can find them fro $34 on Amazon as the "swagman whee pod".
I have considered one of those for my Mountain bike made commuter due to the water proof and hard shell that mud would clean off of easily.

See if this link works. https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Whee-R...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t
Old 01-09-11, 09:53 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Those are sold under a number of brand names. you can find them fro $34 on Amazon as the "swagman whee pod".
I have considered one of those for my Mountain bike made commuter due to the water proof and hard shell that mud would clean off of easily.

See if this link works. https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Whee-R...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t
Yeah, PB's Escape Pod, the Swagman, and Sunlite's version is pretty much the same design. For a bit more $, the Cargo Cache looks a bit nicer.

I've thought about using one of these, but I haven't due to basically two reasons: a) not sure if the local transit service (bus) would be okay with it, since you are *supposed* to strip the bike of anything that could fall off. Since it's bolted to the rack, it's not likely to go anywhere, but if it has anything in it, it would raise the C.O.G./C.O.M., and b) only have one bike, I want to leave it as versatile as possible.
Old 01-09-11, 11:25 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at all of the options that people have posted... I think that perhaps I should invest in a new rack. I think I'll just order an Axiom rack and then re-evaluate things a bit. Hopefully a new rack will minimize my heel strike issues, if not eliminate them.

@tsl- thanks for the testimonial about the Tailrider and answering my question about the mounting straps. When the time comes, I will get one.
Old 01-09-11, 06:12 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I have a rear trunk bag made by Jandd that's pretty satisfactory, with side pockets I find useful. It attaches to well to any rear rack with easy Velcro straps. There are a couple features on more expensive bags that I would mention. First is an attached rain cover that stows away when not in use. I use a simple plastic bag with handles, secured by two of the diagonally opposed straps and that has worked fine for me, even in heavy rain.

Secondly are drop down bags, like mini-panniers, that are useful to store extra clothing, like a jacket, as you remove it during a ride. (On a long ride I bring my own food and water so the trunk is usually full.) For my bag I use a bungee cord to hold down the extra clothing, though one has to be careful it is well-secured and nothing flaps into the spokes or chain.
Old 01-12-11, 01:27 AM
HappyStuffing
6 miles per taco, w00t!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice commuter! So neat and organized, and clean! Im not even sure what color my bike is anymore!