Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Accend

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Accend

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 06:53 PM
Check6

Bikes: Haro Extreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Accend

Anyone have any first hand knowledge about this bike. It seems popular in Europe and Asia. I am a former tour rider. I have a mountain bike. I am looking for a bike I can ride recreationally and for fitness. Pavement, mild trails, around town. Being on the dropdowns just isn't comfortable anymore. I have looked high and low but can't find a review of this bike. I can get Giant, Trek, Specialized, Marin and Cannondale locally.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Good Forum!
Ride Safe,
Check6
Old 04-06-11, 07:34 PM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like a lot more bike than you need...... I ride tour and road bikes and just made the switch to this. I really like this bike, and had it of road this past weekend and road it pretty hard and it performed flawlessly. It's a Trek (Kaitai) take one for a test run, I'm sure you will be impressed.

Old 04-06-11, 07:41 PM
Check6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I will check it out. But I am curious, the accend seems to be a very nice, well designed bike, won some euro design awards ( which has nothing to do with how it rides) I would love to hear someone's impression of the bike. Zippo for reviews on the net.
Thanks again.
Check6
Old 04-06-11, 07:55 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think the reason why there are little reviews is due that's it's probably a brand new model.
Old 04-12-11, 09:54 AM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to save some money on a great bike, a new 2009 Jamis Coda Elite with a 19.5" frame is still $680 delivered from Bicycle Bananas. Steel frame, carbon fork, wider gearing, and generally better components than that $1400 Giant Accend. Trikes2Bikes near Green Bay has Jamis bikes to look at. I have a 2009 Jamis Coda Comp and love it.

2009 Jamis Coda Elite

Even a Giant Rapid 1 would be a better bike for your application in my estimation.

Last edited by EsoxLucius; 04-12-11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 10:27 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
I dont like it because its a soft tail and you dont need that for road riding unless your just a slowish recreational rider.
If your trying to get fit and and increase your speed over time you'll quickly out grow it, it'll be to heavy and fell mushy and you lose efficiency trying to ride faster.
The Gary Fisher and the Jamis above would kill it. I like the retro look for the jamis coda elite to after losing the suspention seat post that is.
Old 04-12-11, 10:32 AM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The suspension seat post on the Jamis Codas is very stiff and might as well be rigid. But nothing a swap out for a rigid seatpost wouldn't cure if one was so inclined. I haven't because it is so stiff.
Old 07-10-11, 08:13 AM
RTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings. I've just joined the forum to learn about the Accend. Your post is the closest I've come to reading any real world experience with this bike. Seems like some are trying to talk you out of it for reasons I don't understand. Did you buy it? Thanks
Old 07-10-11, 10:20 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The 2011 Giant Accend looks like an updated version of the 2008 Specialized Globe Centrum or the 2007 Breezer Liberty w/Direct X frame.
Old 07-10-11, 01:09 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Reminds me more of a Moots YBB (why be beat?) pivotless rear suspension. I disagree that this very limited travel suspension design is going to rob a lot of power from the engine. In certain terrain it will faster. It will be more comfortable in all conditions. I doubt that little bumper adds a lot of weight either. I like the front suspension also very much so. I don't think we should lump this bike into the full suspension category, nor would I consider the fork to be similar to typical suspension forks. I wish I had a fork like that on my Cannondale. More Silk Road than off-road.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 07-10-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 03:26 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I've got a fork like that on my Giant FCR3500 and while it's no mountain bike suspension fork in terms of travel, it's no mountain bike suspension fork in terms of weight either. And it does work - very well - in smoothing out the vast number of bumps in Shanghai bike lanes.
Old 07-11-11, 03:14 PM
RTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank for keeping the discussion going. I ordered one and expect it later this week. I currently have a 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport (I mention the year since they seem very different nowadays), Fuji Roubaix 3, Schwinn Transit and Triumph Bonneville (efi). I'll leave a review when I get the tires broken in.
Old 07-11-11, 05:50 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The 2011 Giant Accend looks like an updated version of the 2008 Specialized Globe Centrum or the 2007 Breezer Liberty w/Direct X frame.
Although the design of the three bikes look alike, the main difference is in the drivetrain. The Globe is a single speed and the Liberty and the Jamis have the Deore line of components with FSA cranksets, whereas, the Accend uses the Tiagra road bike groupo (except for the shifters). All the bikes are good bikes and if you can get to a bike shop that carries them and are able to test ride them all, then it's a matter of the choosing the bike that you feel fits you the best.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-15-11, 07:31 AM
Check6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTD
Greetings. I've just joined the forum to learn about the Accend. Your post is the closest I've come to reading any real world experience with this bike. Seems like some are trying to talk you out of it for reasons I don't understand. Did you buy it? Thanks
I am the original poster. Thanks everyone. I rode many bikes. I really liked the Accend but also looked at others. I loved the Trek Montare but could not get one anywhere in my size. I went with the Giant Roam 1 and am very happy. It is a good rider/commuter. It is not the best at anything but is a very good all round bike. And about half the cost of the Accend. For me it was a great choice. Good luck with your search.
Check6
Old 09-14-11, 10:23 PM
itsmcgee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the accend last week and I am really enjoying it. As a round towner it just can't be beat. I figured out how to tune the suspension within it's limitations which Giant was no help at all. I weigh 200 lbs and as it comes out of the box it is a little bouncy in the front on climbs. After tuning it, it rides great. The ride is so smooth on our less than smooth roads you find yourself checking to make sure the tires are up to preasure. Because of the sharp headtube angle it handle very quick, however the long chainstays do make exceleration a bit slower than my steel cyclocross bike. The comfort makes it all worth it for me.
Old 02-06-24, 09:24 AM
Rob M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Accend Suspension

Originally Posted by itsmcgee
I got the accend last week and I am really enjoying it. As a round towner it just can't be beat. I figured out how to tune the suspension within it's limitations which Giant was no help at all. I weigh 200 lbs and as it comes out of the box it is a little bouncy in the front on climbs. After tuning it, it rides great. The ride is so smooth on our less than smooth roads you find yourself checking to make sure the tires are up to preasure. Because of the sharp headtube angle it handle very quick, however the long chainstays do make exceleration a bit slower than my steel cyclocross bike. The comfort makes it all worth it for me.
I have a Giant Accend, and have had for a while but I have never seen any reviews on the bike either and bought mine on looks alone. I think it's a pretty decent bike and have enjoyed riding it. I never realised the suspension was adjustable, if you can remember that far back, or if anyone else knows, how do you tweak or adjust the the Giant Accend Mono Flex suspension? The same suspension was also used on the Giant Enlight.

Thanks in advance if you can be of any assistance.