Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to keep my %$&%$& toes warm??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 08:36 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Last Thursday I think it was in the upper 30's when I rode to work 15+ miles. I wore my merino wool socks (quite thick), then tried wrapping plastic wrap around my feet, then putting my SPD shoes on. Toes still felt frozen when I got to work.

This morning I tried wearing my Injinji toe socks (somewhat thin), the wool socks over that, plastic zipper bags, then my shoes. Toes still got pretty cold. They also felt a bit scrunched together.

So what is the secret for keeping toes warm when it's cold out? I surely thought the plastic would block wind and keep the warmer but I guess not. I did notice condensation inside the bags when I got to work this morning. Suggestions?
Old 11-12-13, 08:41 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Get some %$&%$& shoe covers!

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-12-13, 08:43 AM
TomCat_Ford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're likely restricting the blood flow in your feet, which isn't helping your situation.

I've had good luck with merino wool socks and shoes covers to block the vents. Some folks recommend buying a pair of shoes a size or two larger so that you can comfortably fit extra socks/insulation in them without cutting off circulation.
Old 11-12-13, 08:55 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Well my shoes are already freakin' size EUR 48, US 14.5, and I normally wear size 13.

Shoe covers make that much of a difference huh? I thought the plastic would have a similar effect.
Old 11-12-13, 08:55 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I know I am going to get torched for this but here goes. I was never able to keep my feet warm using SPD no matter what I tried, finally gave up went to regular pedals and shoes this works for me. In my experience the Spd cleats act like a conductor for the cold to go right to your feet.
Allen
Old 11-12-13, 09:09 AM
PatrickGSR94

Interesting theory. Perhaps I should try it using my Goretex hiking boots on the flat side of my A530 pedals.
Old 11-12-13, 09:34 AM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are chemical toe warmers. I have a 11 mile commute, and I do fine in dry conditions until about 20 F, then, while my overall foot stays warm my toes go numb. I think the SPD cleat heat transfer may have a lot to do with it.

I only remembered my toe warmers once or twice last winter, but they did the trick.
Old 11-12-13, 09:37 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Interesting theory. Perhaps I should try it using my Goretex hiking boots on the flat side of my A530 pedals.
I would save those for the 20's in the upper 30's athletic shoes and wool socks works for me, use shoes with very little if any mesh. The cleats are connected to the metal crank arm so plenty of cold conductivity there. The only insulation from the cleats is what's under your foot and the air is mashed out of that by pressure. Using a shoe you get an insulator of rubber between the pedal and your foot.

Allen
Old 11-12-13, 09:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Get some %$&%$& shoe covers!

BB
No. 1. Right now I'm riding on platform pedals and lightweight leather boots; that's working pretty well.
Old 11-12-13, 11:30 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Last Thursday I think it was in the upper 30's when I rode to work 15+ miles. I wore my merino wool socks (quite thick), then tried wrapping plastic wrap around my feet, then putting my SPD shoes on. Toes still felt frozen when I got to work.

This morning I tried wearing my Injinji toe socks (somewhat thin), the wool socks over that, plastic zipper bags, then my shoes. Toes still got pretty cold. They also felt a bit scrunched together.

So what is the secret for keeping toes warm when it's cold out? I surely thought the plastic would block wind and keep the warmer but I guess not. I did notice condensation inside the bags when I got to work this morning. Suggestions?
If your toes feel scrunched that's probably a big part of the problem. I have wide feet and frankly it isn't always easy for me to find shoes that fit well, - especially cycling shoes which are hard to find in wide sizes. Anyway, you might need different shoes or thinner socks in combination with a bootie. Booties aren't my favorite though. Performance used to make some nice ones that were well insulated and had a durable rubber sole. Most of them just have a strap that goes around the bottom of your shoe and they're shot after a month or two of daily riding.
Old 11-12-13, 12:11 PM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Shoe covers and warm wool socks keep me adequately comfortable into the low teens
Old 11-12-13, 12:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
You could make toe warmers with duct tape. It might pay to put some insulation inside them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-13, 12:25 PM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know what your budget is but I invested in a pair of shimano MW81's. They are a winter riding shoe. Got it a size bigger than normal. Wear one pair of marino socks. When it gets below 25F slap on a pair of boot covers and you are good to go. It is real important to make sure you have lots of wiggle room to keep the blood flowing.

2nd option is to wear lousy gloves so that your hands get so cold that you forget about the cold in your toes.
Old 11-12-13, 12:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Plastic bags, duct tape, shoe covers? Are SPD shoes with their built-in metal heat loss conducters really that important for your commute? If not, I recommend platform pedals and regular shoes/boots made for cold weather. Works for me without wacky improvised accessories at below 0° F.
Old 11-12-13, 12:31 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
So what is the secret for keeping toes warm when it's cold out?
Wear a warm hat. Seriously. Without blood flow to your feet, NOTHING you wear will keep your feet warm. It's all about blood flow. Heat up your brain's thermostat and in an effort too cool itself your brain will command your blood vessels to expand and pump warm blood away from the brain and to your extremities.

Next in importance - your core. Keep your core temp up by abiding by the "ABC Rule" (Anything But Cotton). Fleece, wool, nylon, polyester etc. Then add a windbreaker and your feet will go to Miami Beach! (Unless your shoes are too tight! Blood flow baby, blood flow!...)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-12-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 12:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by TomCat_Ford
You're likely restricting the blood flow in your feet, which isn't helping your situation.
This is my first reaction. You have to have toe wiggle room, plus not excessive pressure higher on your feet. Otherwise blood circulation is reduced, and all the insulation in the world won't keep your feet warm. Wear thinner socks so there's a bit more room in your show, then consider insulation outside of the shoe (neoprene shoe covers) if needed.

Also, keeping your legs warm helps keep your feet warm - same with arms and hands - wear fleece lined tights under a wind stop outer layer. If you feel cold on your legs, your feet will always feel cold.

Lastly, if you have a long ride and feet start feeling cold, get off and walk 100 yards. The walking flexes your feet and improves circulation to wam them back up.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-12-13, 12:59 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The more I ride in cold temps, the more I believe that the outer layer should be wind resistant/proof and then insulation under that. I rode earlier this fall in -9C (16F) air (-17C/1F or colder wind chill given riding speed) with toasty toes and my "trick" was booties (mine are only moderately wind resistant) over a plastic bag over my shoes over a wool sock. This created an air pocket between my toes and the bag. If I need extra cold protection, I'll put on my DIY Toe Covers for extra insulation, I'll put the bag and booties over top of the toe covers. These toe covers alone have proven their worth at -5C (23F) (air temp, not accounting for wind chill) with only nylon summer-weight socks.
Old 11-12-13, 01:18 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Shoe covers are the best simple thing. I rode all the last two winters by simply making shoe covers out of plastic shopping bags and duct tape. Put a plastic bag over the toe of the shoe, start wrapping with duct tape, finish by making a loop of duct tape around the heel to hold it on. Cut off the excess bag and cut a hole for the cleats if needed.

Honestly, down to about 30 or so I'm still wearing the thin poly ankle socks that I wear all summer and I've never noticed the cold. This morning it was down to 22*F so I decided to throw on some medium weight full length cotton socks.

I'm considering a DIY electric toe warmer setup for temps below about -10*F where I start getting uncomfortable.
Old 11-12-13, 01:26 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
spd SANDALS
Thick socks
NEOPRENE DIVING BOOTIES

Keeps my feet toasty warm down to the high 20's, and very effective in the rain as well.
Old 11-12-13, 01:30 PM
the engine
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe covers make a world of difference ... wool socks, plastic bags, ect. help the shoe covers work better. But, shoe covers are the key. IMHO
Old 11-12-13, 01:34 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Plastic bags, duct tape, shoe covers? Are SPD shoes with their built-in metal heat loss conducters really that important for your commute? If not, I recommend platform pedals and regular shoes/boots made for cold weather. Works for me without wacky improvised accessories at below 0° F.
+1.

It is so much easier and comfy to go for winter boots than trying to transform summer cycling shoes into winter cycling shoes. I have plenty of well used shoe covers that i don't need anymore. Winter boots require nothing else but your feet. (i still have my dive boots to play with a little)
Old 11-12-13, 01:44 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yes, I prefer my shoes to be connected to the pedals as my commute is 31 miles RT and hilly. I did the commute once on my other bike with "skater" style shoes and platforms and I just didn't enjoy it as much at all.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Wear a warm hat. Seriously. Without blood flow to your feet, NOTHING you wear will keep your feet warm. It's all about blood flow. Heat up your brain's thermostat and in an effort too cool itself your brain will command your blood vessels to expand and pump warm blood away from the brain and to your extremities.

Next in importance - your core. Keep your core temp up by abiding by the "ABC Rule" (Anything But Cotton). Fleece, wool, nylon, polyester etc. Then add a windbreaker and your feet will go to Miami Beach! (Unless your shoes are too tight! Blood flow baby, blood flow!...)
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is my first reaction. You have to have toe wiggle room, plus not excessive pressure higher on your feet. Otherwise blood circulation is reduced, and all the insulation in the world won't keep your feet warm. Wear thinner socks so there's a bit more room in your show, then consider insulation outside of the shoe (neoprene shoe covers) if needed.

Also, keeping your legs warm helps keep your feet warm - same with arms and hands - wear fleece lined tights under a wind stop outer layer. If you feel cold on your legs, your feet will always feel cold.

Lastly, if you have a long ride and feet start feeling cold, get off and walk 100 yards. The walking flexes your feet and improves circulation to wam them back up.
Actually my upper body and legs were all quite warm, to the point of sweating. My feet were really the only problem area I had this morning. I think having my toes scrunched together too much was the main problem.
Old 11-12-13, 01:51 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
spd SANDALS
Thick socks
NEOPRENE DIVING BOOTIES

Keeps my feet toasty warm down to the high 20's, and very effective in the rain as well.
High 20s is barely even thick sock weather. I wear just my regular shoes and thin ankle socks down to about 32 even in the rain.

My real problem is below about -10*F. I'm still not good down there.
Old 11-12-13, 01:55 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
High 20s is barely even thick sock weather. I wear just my regular shoes and thin ankle socks down to about 32 even in the rain.

My real problem is below about -10*F. I'm still not good down there.
I rode with my dive boots at -36F/5hr so dive boots can do it eventually. My 7mm neoprene balaclava was even too warm at those temps.
Old 11-12-13, 01:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Loose fitting boots with warm socks, on platform pedals ..

How about Fleece lined Bean Boots ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.