Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Word! Term use in cycling. "Salmon", "Primary", "Waffle", "Cafe bars", "SS", ... ...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Word! Term use in cycling. "Salmon", "Primary", "Waffle", "Cafe bars", "SS", ... ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 05:54 PM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah sure, I may THINK I know this 'n that but I don't know it all. Sometimes I run across terms that my not-know-it-all self is stumped by. Ready... Set... Go!

Last edited by Brannigan; 12-14-13 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-13, 05:55 PM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a "salmon"?
Old 12-13-13, 06:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Brannigan
What is a "salmon"?
People who ride against the direction of traffic. Like salmon travelling upstream to spawn.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-13-13, 06:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Waffle : Knight and Bowerman's 1st Nike running shoes were poured rubber in a waffle Iron.
Old 12-13-13, 06:55 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to add to the dictionary what I call the "Mr. Magoo." That is the iPod wearing, usually younger, adult pedestrian who considers the bike path and/or the street an extension of their sidewalk/front yard/playground. They wander into and out of your path aimlessly and unpredictably.
Old 12-13-13, 07:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
SS can be stainless steel, or single speed depending on context. SSSS would then be a stainless steel single speed bike.

I could try to help with the others, but I'd need some context.

BTW- context is often the best clue to things like this. You may not have it on the first pass, or maybe not exactly. But like code breaking, as you see it more often the secret reveals itself.

You can sometimes find out via the internet if you know haw to phrase the question. You won't get "salmon" s meaning from a normal dictionary, but if you search bicycle slang dictionary - salmon you get this.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-13-13, 07:01 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Ninja- someone who rides at night without any lights or reflective material.
Old 12-13-13, 08:01 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha, good one. I use it for people who pretend not to see you, for people who don't see you on purpose. It was always a mystery with Mr. Magoo whether he did it on purpose or if he was simply clueless.

Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
I'd like to add to the dictionary what I call the "Mr. Magoo." That is the iPod wearing, usually younger, adult pedestrian who considers the bike path and/or the street an extension of their sidewalk/front yard/playground. They wander into and out of your path aimlessly and unpredictably.
Old 12-13-13, 08:09 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Must be visiting from the UK." For people walking on the left side of the sidewalk or trail. Sometimes they cross over from the right to the left when they notice you approaching. BTW, which side do they walk on in the UK?
Old 12-13-13, 08:12 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fred: Usually a cyclist, unfamiliar with bicycle technology, who has any combination of old bicycle components and accessories, who is most likely riding an old mountain bike, a hybrid, or touring bike, complete with either a rack or fenders.

*Not to be confused with a poser, who is a cyclist who owns an upscale road bike, but can't properly ride it.

Last edited by WestPablo; 12-13-13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 08:21 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And then there are Freds in Disguise, Freds on a cost no object crabon fibre with the right clothing but who don't really know how to ride. Ah, you call them posers, but I like the French spelling better, poseurs.

Originally Posted by WestPablo
Fred: Usually a cyclist with any combination of old bicycle components and accessories, who is most likely riding an old mountain bike, a hybrid, or touring bike, complete with either a rack or fenders.

*Not to be confused with a poser, who is a cyclist who owns an upscale road bike, but can't properly ride it.
Old 12-13-13, 08:32 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
SSSS would then be a stainless steel single speed bike.
Careful you might inadvertently launch SSSSCXWC.
Old 12-13-13, 08:51 PM
vanttila

Bikes: Scattante R670

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
SSSSCXWC.
Stainless Steel Single Speed Cyclo Cross... Water closet (toilet)? ... World cup? ... Workers Comp? What's the WC stand for?
Old 12-13-13, 08:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I don't think the OP intended for this to create a bicycle slang thread. He asked about some specific terms, and not all of those were defined yet. How about some help on those?

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 12-13-13, 08:58 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
And then there are Freds in Disguise, Freds on a cost no object crabon fibre with the right clothing but who don't really know how to ride. Ah, you call them posers, but I like the French spelling better, poseurs.
Old 12-13-13, 08:59 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by vanttila
Stainless Steel Single Speed Cyclo Cross... Water closet (toilet)? ... World cup? ... Workers Comp? What's the WC stand for?
C'mon. It's a staniless steel, single speed Cyclo-cross Woman chaser.

What else would it be? Whoopie cushion?

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-13-13 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 09:16 PM
vanttila

Bikes: Scattante R670

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon. It's a staniless steel, single speed Cyclo-cross Woman chaser.

What else would it be? Whoopie cushion?
If I'd had a drink, it would've been all over my keyboard after I read that.
On another note, I didn't know they made whoopee cushions that fancy.
Old 12-13-13, 09:38 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
"Must be visiting from the UK." For people walking on the left side of the sidewalk or trail. Sometimes they cross over from the right to the left when they notice you approaching. BTW, which side do they walk on in the UK?
In Oregon, bike paths are defined as roads. The vehicle code states that pedestrians proceeding along a road without a sidewalk are to walk single-file on the left (into oncoming traffic) shoulder or as far to the left side as possible. I frankly don't care which side of the path folks walk on, as long as they manage to stay as far to that side as necessary. Sadly, no one else cares what I want, so our bike paths are merely places where women of girth walk three abreast. So, typically folks around here walk on both the left and right sides at the same time; I guess it makes us look international.
Old 12-13-13, 11:05 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
fred type A -- misanthropes who ride mtbs with slicks, fenders, bar ends, racks, bungee cords, and/or safety triangles and wear hi viz, safety vests, and knee high tube socks.

fred type B -- someone who rides a $4000 dollar crabon fibre leisure road bike with pro-team kit and flabby thighs.

gutterbunny -- commuters

Cat 6 -- people who enjoy cycling fast (outside of competition)
Cat 7 -- people who enjoy cycling slowly, smelling the fresh air, and berating all people who cycle faster than them (much overlap with "A" type freds)

Black hoodie wearing anarchist scofflaw spoker cyclist -- every time a motorist is angry at you it's this person's fault

Retrogrouch -- rusty bikes...steel is real...brooks leather saddles...proofide...cork wrap/grips....tweed...britches...nitto stem/bars...velo orange/honjo fenders...merino wool base layers/jerseys/underwear/bras/merkins...

Fakenger -- someones who rides a fixie poorly, pretends they can track stand, carries a micro mini-messenger bag, and has a mini-u-lock in their pocket.

Weekend warrior/lance(alot)/roadie/clubbie/real-cyclist -- carbon fiber bike, sidis, thenthetive buttocks/crotch, farmers tan, shaved legs, very angry husband/wife, neglected pets/children, peter pan syndrome: check!

Mamil -- male weekend warriors who are over 40 and either single, divorced or about to be to divorced.

Experienced cyclist -- someone who has toured/ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on every possible type of bike, has dozens of scars and healed fractures, has toured in the ozarks, 3rd world nations, and canada, and has n+5-30 more bikes than you (that they wrench themselves).

Urban cyclist -- someone who works in the saddle, has way more skillz than you, and get's the blame for the antics of fakengers, n0obs, and scofflaws.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 12-13-13 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 12:57 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually...

I don't think the OP intended for this to create a bicycle slang thread. He asked about some specific terms, and not all of those were defined yet. How about some help on those?
NHF ("No hard feelings"), but I kinda did both.
Old 12-14-13, 01:19 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FBinNY is right though, y'all are off-keel a bit. Please define specific cycling terms/abbreviations... not ones you are either making-up or are too obscure as to be relevant. Go!
Old 12-14-13, 01:35 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
People who ride against the direction of traffic. Like salmon travelling upstream to spawn.
Thank you.
Old 12-14-13, 01:36 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Waffle : Knight and Bowerman's 1st Nike running shoes were poured rubber in a waffle Iron.
Thank you.
Old 12-14-13, 01:37 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS can be stainless steel, or single speed depending on context. SSSS would then be a stainless steel single speed bike.

I could try to help with the others, but I'd need some context.

BTW- context is often the best clue to things like this. You may not have it on the first pass, or maybe not exactly. But like code breaking, as you see it more often the secret reveals itself.

You can sometimes find out via the internet if you know haw to phrase the question. You won't get "salmon" s meaning from a normal dictionary, but if you search bicycle slang dictionary - salmon you get this.
Thank you.
Old 12-14-13, 01:40 AM
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
fred type A -- misanthropes who ride mtbs with slicks, fenders, bar ends, racks, bungee cords, and/or safety triangles and wear hi viz, safety vests, and knee high tube socks.

fred type B -- someone who rides a $4000 dollar crabon fibre leisure road bike with pro-team kit and flabby thighs.

gutterbunny -- commuters

Cat 6 -- people who enjoy cycling fast (outside of competition)
Cat 7 -- people who enjoy cycling slowly, smelling the fresh air, and berating all people who cycle faster than them (much overlap with "A" type freds)

Black hoodie wearing anarchist scofflaw spoker cyclist -- every time a motorist is angry at you it's this person's fault

Retrogrouch -- rusty bikes...steel is real...brooks leather saddles...proofide...cork wrap/grips....tweed...britches...nitto stem/bars...velo orange/honjo fenders...merino wool base layers/jerseys/underwear/bras/merkins...

Fakenger -- someones who rides a fixie poorly, pretends they can track stand, carries a micro mini-messenger bag, and has a mini-u-lock in their pocket.

Weekend warrior/lance(alot)/roadie/clubbie/real-cyclist -- carbon fiber bike, sidis, thenthetive buttocks/crotch, farmers tan, shaved legs, very angry husband/wife, neglected pets/children, peter pan syndrome: check!

Mamil -- male weekend warriors who are over 40 and either single, divorced or about to be to divorced.

Experienced cyclist -- someone who has toured/ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on every possible type of bike, has dozens of scars and healed fractures, has toured in the ozarks, 3rd world nations, and canada, and has n+5-30 more bikes than you (that they wrench themselves).

Urban cyclist -- someone who works in the saddle, has way more skillz than you, and get's the blame for the antics of fakengers, n0obs, and scofflaws.
Awesome. I thank you as many times as the number of terms you spit. I am an Urban Cyclist Gutterbunny combinant... thing, guy.. whatev.

Last edited by Brannigan; 12-14-13 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Because I frikin needed to EDIT damnit!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.