Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where are you looking for your next barn find?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where are you looking for your next barn find?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 04:17 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
Lately however that's all changed. The flea markets have been dead for four or five years, yard sales here have had nothing but old clothes and old glass, and nearly all the auctions have closed down.
Seems like there are too many large volume "pros" and full-timers these days, using technology to quickly snap things up before applying their useless middleman fees. And it looks like the phenomenon has reach Italy as well, where there are untold treasures lurking in basements and attics. Guys there taking advantage of the global desire for Italian steel, and can't completely blame them...
Old 12-08-20, 04:49 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I spend almost as much time getting rid of bikes as I do actually working on them. Being a frugal old Yankee, I can't seem to let anything go that has even a shred of intrinsic value, hence I tend to become inundated with bikes and parts of all kinds. The old adage of garbage-in, garbage out is taken quite seriously here, and I cull my "herd" on a weekly basis. I am constantly struggling with it.

Just yesterday I had a conversation with my wife about it, and I've decided to up my game a little - seeking out and retaining only bikes that really flip my switch, and letting go all of the others.
I'm at that point as well and not just bikes. Many a "treasure" has hit the classifieds or curb in the past couple months and I have a long way to go. There's not a single piece that I've purged that I regret letting go of and it feels quite "liberating".
Old 12-08-20, 05:05 PM
twm182

Bikes: 89 Trek 660, 94 Rockhopper Grocery-Getter, No Name Carbon Franken[road]bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm new to the game, but here in the southeast US I have found the most luck on Facebook Marketplace. CL is pretty much dead compared to Marketplace. Things do go quick though, so I check fairly often.
Old 12-08-20, 05:18 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Perhaps as an addition to my initial (or our initial) barn find posts, would be a barn (or "forgotten") find of a...newer variety? Hidden gems that have the geometry specs and/or capability of vintage steeds (race, touring, etc)--perhaps even the lively feel of them--but are not sought after as they were never meant to be the apex of a particular genre? Maybe I'm speaking for myself as a younger C&V guy. Maybe this is appealing to the contrarians among us? Miyata Triple Crosses and other "Cross" or hybrid type bikes being based off touring geometries yet having more clearance. XO-1 descendants and other bikes. Sport or endurance "road" bikes that actually do just fine, if not very well when outfitted with much better components.

Again, I may be talking about myself here, or I may be looking at the vintage steel market as an already saturated and 'conquered' land, and thus I go in search of other potential lands to discover. We all are looking for different things in a bike, and some of those include aesthetics on top of feel or performance. I know the requirement well. Will I receive comments of "Nice bike!" from total strangers if I'm riding something apart from a vintage black-and-chrome Paramount with plenty of polished pieces? Probably not. And yes, part of me does lament the lack of classy chrome frame elements adorning production bikes. And lugs. Sloping top tubes and visible welds would have to be accepted aesthetics while obtaining a lively ride, feel, performance, and features/capability (and for potentially not that much money either).

Whichever find is happened upon, it will still have to contend with matching or bettering my Paramount. Even if I wish that bike were a couple cm taller, it's never the less a high bar (heh!) to clear in my mind.

To future discoveries!
Old 12-08-20, 05:45 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Andy_K
Seem to recall you posted photos before back when you got them but can't recall looking at them if you did. There are really a lot of photos and mot seeing too many of one item.
That isn't a simple purchase, that's the clean out of a high end store! I'm guessing $4500 for a bulk price? If less it was even more impressive. Wow
Old 12-08-20, 07:08 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I'm at that point as well and not just bikes. Many a "treasure" has hit the classifieds or curb in the past couple months and I have a long way to go. There's not a single piece that I've purged that I regret letting go of and it feels quite "liberating".
I totally agree. The older I get the less I want (it seems), but the stuff I want, I want to be rich and fulfilling.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-09-20, 02:42 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Andy_K
Seem to recall you posted photos before back when you got them but can't recall looking at them if you did. There are really a lot of photos and mot seeing too many of one item.
That isn't a simple purchase, that's the clean out of a high end store! I'm guessing $4500 for a bulk price? If less it was even more impressive. Wow
About half that. I call it the Great Hermiston Bike Cornucopia. @gugie calls it the Hermiston Heist. The seller had inherited all this from an uncle who used to own a bike shop in San Francisco. I like to think he had some idea of the value of this stuff (he got a lot of interest in just a couple of days), but Hermiston is a long way from everywhere. I only wanted to buy the three bikes. He wanted me to take the rest too. I agreed to that over the phone, thinking maybe there would be some stuff I could use. I had no idea!
Old 12-09-20, 10:33 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
also nearby...

Originally Posted by rajbcpa
...retired now. ....used to ride bikes in NYC during '70/80s.... ...just returning to biking now in the east hills of Tenn.

A bike collector told me never to use EBay or buy foreign bikes on Ebay or non-EBay cites. ...(Too many scammers, false truth tellers, shipping issues, etc.)

She uses freinds who know she is collecting bikes. But her most frequent buys are from local and no-so-local bike shops, however.

If you are a collector or know someone who is, how do they find the goods?

Thanks, Rob Bartsch
I moved down here five years ago and have been a small collector (read: N+1 victim) since. I've gone through two dozen bikes which are given to relatives/friends/local kids and only sold two. I have bought them through Ebay, Craglist, yard sales, a local scrap iron yard. The largest concentration of finds are in the Knoxville area (CL mostly). Best bargains are those listed :Local pickup only. But I'm not a flipper and getting more picky by the day now that I have everything I need and most of what I don't.
Old 12-09-20, 10:47 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Vintage Bike shows/swap have provided a few like my treasured Robin Hood. Most of the others have found me via a network of other collectors, friends and family. Lots of friends find deals on bikes that are not their style and let me know. I was alerted to two vintage by the minister at our church this summer. She saw them along the roadside!

1971 Robin Hood

1987 Raleigh Canada derivative from a local antique store.
Old 12-09-20, 11:00 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
In this City, there seems to be no shortage of d-bag bike flippers. Anything which is advertised gets scooped up post haste, many times relisted within hours right back on the same site they bought it from... fully "serviced" of course, and for many multiples the original offering price. It's almost as if they sit around all day hitting refresh on their screen waiting for something they can flip to pop up. Pure filth.

For the non-collector, non-flipper, it takes a little more strategy to find a bike you want in the size you need. Patience too. Unadvertised bikes, or anything else unadvertised, eliminates the d-bag competition element. Asking around is as good a method as any I guess.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 12-09-20 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 04:25 PM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I prefer swap meets.

Scambio 017 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 039 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 088 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Scambio 026 by iabisdb, on Flickr

2019 Imola Scambio 13 by iabisdb, on Flickr

2019 Imola Scambio 49 by iabisdb, on Flickr

2019 Imola Scambio 48 by iabisdb, on Flickr

I wish there was something like that around here, the nearest I've seen was four hours away and nothing like the meet pictured above.
I found FB a waste of time, in all the years I've been watching there I've yet to be able to make a deal, or worse yet even get a reply.
Its also a nightmare to search, set the distance to search 100 miles and it gives me things half way across the country or completely unrelated items.

Most on CL around here are asking top dollar regardless of quality or condition.
Unless the auctions start back up, I don't foresee many deals in the near future.
Nearly all the auctioneers have gone to live online auctions only and there hasn't been any deals
at all Everything gets bid up to the moon,
Selling wise, locally, its pretty slow, everyone wants it for free. $50 seems to be the limit lately.
I've always been amazed at how many decent bikes are listed in other areas but not here.
All we see is Walmart junk and rust lately.
Old 12-16-20, 01:03 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
My opinion only. the single most important thing to keep in mind when buying any vintage road bike is... Know your frame size, seat tube height and top tube length. Bring a tape measure with you and verify the numbers. Any frame that doesn't fit well will not let the magic happen and will not get ridden, don't guess.
There are bikes out there with long top tubes that I can't make work for me, I have bought this lesson a few times and had to sell them on because the bike didn't "feel" right no matter how I adjusted the fit,, the difference between fit and not a fit is is less than 1/2" (13mm) in top tube length for me. For reference my bikes that are keepers are 21" X 21" (53.3cm X 53.3cm), I'm 63 and 5' 9" tall.

: Mike
Yep, I have an old wooden yardstick I bring with me. It has saddle height, saddle setback, saddle to handlebar reach, and saddle to handle bar drop all marked permanently. So I can straight out measure a bike but also tell if the saddle post, stem, cranks, etc work for me as well as the angles.