Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What distances and length of time do you spend on a ride?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 09:14 PM
Exemonium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, I'm very exciting to be joining the cycling community. Here's a little on why I'm asking this question. I busted my ankle some years back and I cannot run, but want to stay fit. I've found out biking is something I can handle and go for a while. I've done a few mountain bike rides between 10-15 miles and it's rough. So after some research I realized the different bikes aren't just for racing and what not. (I was very ignorant) Anyway, I hope to be able to ride distances and someday put at least 100 miles in one continuous trip. Most people say that road bike is what I'm looking for and even if I get a hybrid, I'll be buying a road bike not long after. I also think joining one of the cycling clubs around could be a blast, but does anyone take the hybrids out on those? Being completely honest, money is the issue, but I really feel more comfortable going through a bike shop for my first go-round. I sell guitars and I can't tell you how many unhappy people I get because they bought a guitar on their own. So I see THAT and fear it'll be me with my bike. Plus, I want to ride it like mad and don't want to injure myself due to an improper fit.

So the question is in the title, how far and how long at a time do you enjoy riding your hybrid?

Also, should I be looking at a road bike for what I want?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Exemonium; 05-08-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 10:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome aboard .

People have ridden centuries on hybrids.
Old 05-08-13, 11:10 PM
HooKooDooKu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old Diamond Back MTB (no shocks) that I use like a hybrid (runs MTB tires with the solid tread down the center for better road performance). I love it for casual crusing as the low gears of the MTB make hills as easy as I want to make them, and the MTB tires let me get off road if I need to.

But after riding it the length of the Chief Ladiga Trail (out and back, about 65 miles) with a buddy using a road bike, I wish I had a road bike for those kinds of rides.

So sure, you can ride centuries on a hybrid. But IMHO, if your focus is going to be distance riding, I think you're going to prefer a Road Bike.
Old 05-08-13, 11:35 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I vote road bike. I have both and whilst I do use the hybrid regularly for distances over 50km in the mountains, the road bike is much better, as the hybrid is far too upright for long distance, especially on flat terrain. There is nothing worse than copping a strong wind against you on a hybrid. The road bike coupled with your body has much less drag.
Old 05-08-13, 11:59 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most bicycle clubs are usually road bike oriented. So much so, that some members actually look down upon others for having either older bikes, or entry level bikes. Some Roadies are snobs. Therefore, anticipate getting a road bike whenever joining a club.

OTOH, there are a few clubs or bicycle groups that don't care what type of bicycle that you have, as long as you can keep up!
Old 05-09-13, 12:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
As long as it takes me to get there.
Old 05-09-13, 03:36 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by Cfiber
... Some Roadies are snobs. Therefore, anticipate getting a road bike whenever joining a club...
I have no idea what a bike club is like in the USA. Are they just social riding clubs or race based?

In all fairness, in my experience you join the club (racing) applicable to your bike and require a UCI licence. If you have a hybrid and join a Road Bike Club, you are hardly going to be able to participate, as they usually abide by UCI rules. The hybrid is not a road bike (by definition of the UCI) and therefore can't be used in events covered by UCI rules.

As for snobs, you get them in all areas of hobbies and past-times.
Old 05-09-13, 07:01 AM
Exemonium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank for the responses everyone. The bike clubs near my area are fun rides with different level groups. Some are as low as 20 mile rides. But I would still think anything above the beginner rides will be all road bikes. On going to hit a few shops today, I will ask them. One guy I'm dealing with runs a club. Sadly, at this point its really about money too. I like both for the test rides. Guess I'll just have to pick a lot of brains today...I NEED to get out there and ride, its eating me alive!
Old 05-09-13, 12:59 PM
bellinibean

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hybrid and I've gone up to 30 miles so far and the only downfall I can report is headwind and my ass hurts. The latter can be fixed with a different saddle (I think the consensus is that the Bontrager SSR saddle isn't very comfortable to begin with) The headwind is because of riding position obviously so I just have to deal with it... I'm hoping to crack a 50 miler this weekend or next depending on weather.
Old 05-09-13, 02:08 PM
Exemonium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great, I ended up getting a Trek FX 1.1 and tossing road tires on free from the bike shop. I was between road and hybrid, road wasn't feeling right. Hybrid felt right, so now I have best of both worlds. I fear the headwind, but It'll still be tons better than my mountain bike for long rides. I can't wait until I'm 50 miles on up
Old 05-09-13, 03:09 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The furthest I've ridden my Hybrid since getting it a couple weeks ago is 20 miles. I could have easily rode even further but I departed late and don't have any lights on my bike just yet. I'm looking to do a 50-miler either this weekend or the next, weather-permitting.

Last edited by MikeRides; 05-09-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 03:20 PM
dbascent1986

Bikes: Thorn Raven Sport Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode a Diamond Back for many years and did some 300~400 mile trips - had fitted mudguards, better saddle and better tyres. 100 mile days were OK, 80~90 miles more comfortable on a daily basis! Now ride a Raven Sport by Thorn, also a hybrid with alfine 8 hub gear- use it on a 21 mile each way commute - would see little problem on riding 100 mile days, and enjoy catching up on road bikes. Upgrades on this bike have only been the saddle (swapped from my old bike), deore v-brakes, and shimano saints flat pedals. The ride is sportier than the DB and have thinner, faster tyres (1.6 in conti).
Old 05-09-13, 03:23 PM
USMCRet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you want to spend a good deal of time in off-road mode, get a road bike. I've had my hybrid since January and have put about 500 miles on her. It did not take long to realize that what I really should have bought was a road bike, and I regret not going that route now. I just didn't know what I needed at the time. That's only saying that I made a poor choice for myself. Many have hybrids and they hit the sweet spot for them. I'm just not one of them.
Old 05-09-13, 03:24 PM
Ravenhog

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Transit Rock Creek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longest ride to date on my hybrid 52 miles of hilly road. Generally my weekday rides are around 30 not including my 8 mile round trip commute and my weekend rides are in the 40+ range.
Old 05-09-13, 04:07 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I have no idea what a bike club is like in the USA. Are they just social riding clubs or race based?

In all fairness, in my experience you join the club (racing) applicable to your bike and require a UCI licence. If you have a hybrid and join a Road Bike Club, you are hardly going to be able to participate, as they usually abide by UCI rules. The hybrid is not a road bike (by definition of the UCI) and therefore can't be used in events covered by UCI rules.

As for snobs, you get them in all areas of hobbies and past-times.
Most road bike clubs are just social riding clubs where either local, or regional cyclists who own road bikes, submit applications and pay a fee. After being accepted, they then become eligible to participate in club activities, which usually include a few types of group club rides and/or races that are base upon the various fitness levels of the clubs members.

Many clubs these days hold CF road bikes in very high esteem...
Old 05-09-13, 08:14 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by Cfiber
Most road bike clubs are just social riding clubs where either local, or regional cyclists who own road bikes, submit applications and pay a fee. After being accepted, they then become eligible to participate in club activities, which usually include a few types of group club rides and/or races that are base upon the various fitness levels of the clubs members.

Many clubs these days hold CF road bikes in very high esteem...
Thank you for your explanation.
My native country is Australia and what you describe in relation to CF is very much the norm, but here in Japan, it is very different. (well in Kyoto) Steel and aluminium is still very acceptable. In fact one of my local shops hasn't sold a CF bike for at least 8 years. He now refuses to stock them because his customer base has no demand for them. Just another cycling culture here these days. Of course there are CF bikes here, but it's not necessarily the first choice.
Old 05-10-13, 02:52 AM
Maukaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my hybrid Cannondale Quick 5 about 20-25miles 3 times a wekk for exercise. So far I lost 18lb in 4 months. Started out at 194, now I'm at 176. I can feel the wind pushing against me when it's blowing and it only makes me exercise harder which I don't mind. I only started riding again less than 6 months ago and now I'm very addicted to getting out there and riding as much as I can. Tinkering and replacing parts is another part you will get into once you start this bicycle hobby. So fun to tinker and upgrade with new stuff. Looks like I have a small bike repair shop with all the cool tools now.

Maukaman...
Old 05-11-13, 06:01 PM
Greyhoundsrock

Bikes: Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden several centuries on my trek 7.3 fx. I love my hybrid, will never part with it but at some point soon I will add a road bike to our stable because after 60 miles of riding, I am wanting different hand positions and a carbon fork.
Old 05-11-13, 06:23 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike was a mountain bike. I used it for - yes - mountain biking. Off road, jumping stumps, the whole deal. But then I got busy with work and stopped biking for about 10 years. When I got back into it, I realized I wanted to do longer distances. Plus bike technology had improved so much. So I got a hybrid - A Trek Dual Sport - which is on the offroad end of the hybrid spectrum. And I loved it. But I still had that nagging feeling that I should have gotten a road bike if I wanted to do lots of century rides, and longer ride. And I was lucky to be able to get a used road bike from ebay. It's a nice, LIGHT bike. And I can go WAY faster on the road bike. It's amazing how much faster I am on that thing.

But... I still prefer by hybrid, because I realized that while I like to do long rides, and even tours, I like to do long rides and tours on trails. Not on the street. And so an off road hybrid is what I like. Taking a multi day trip on old canal tow paths or on rail-trail lines is perfect. I can see the sights, carry stuff in my panniers and racks, I've got suspension. The other people who trail ride are more "my people". It's my ideal. I was fortunate enough to figure that out and have the opportunity to ride several types of bikes.

Of course, there may be a day when I want to try a true touring bike. Or a recumbent. (Actually - I would really like to try a recumbent. They look like a blast to ride.)

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what kind of rider you are, and what you enjoy. And don't forget, that you might change over the years.

Brian