Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

My big dummy… I need some help

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 03-20-15, 12:19 AM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I So I took delivery of my Big Dummy Monday and I've had a few rides with the boy (8 months old) in a Yepp Maxi. There's a few things I need help with. First, I am having a hard time with naming the BD. I thought of REO DadWagon, or the DudeMobile, but I'm not sure that I can't do better. Next, the boy likes to sleep on the back but the Yepp Maxi doesn't come with the nap bar. What have you guys done, if anything, to give head support? Lastly, has anyone used the Yepp Maxi in conjunction with the xtracycle X2 bags? The seat kind of makes half the bag unusable, unless I'm too dumb to figure it out. Any tips or tricks? I gotta say, that after 8 months of not riding bikes together with my wife (our last ride was a little 10 mile jaunt on her due date!) (we still ride, as we are car-free, just haven't been able to ride together since the birth) having this BD is like a direct happiness injection. It just brings me such joy to be riding, not only with my wife again, but with my SON! I was probably more proud of our first ride together than the day he was born! Anyway, just wanted to brag a little bit and get some advice/experience from those who've been there. I feel like now that I can do some utility cycling I have graduated to the ultimate level of bike awesomeness!
Old 03-20-15, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
With 300 bike shops in Portland someone will be able to see your issues , try Clever Cycles 900 SE Hawthorne Boulevard
Clever Cycles | Brompton folding bicycles, cargo bikes, family transport

I talk to them Over the Phone and web about my Brompton from Out Here.
Old 03-20-15, 07:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
No advice on the kid seat as I've never used one of that brand, but as a grandpa that spent a few good seasons hauling my grandkids around on the back of my Big Dummy, two at a time, I just wanted to congratulate you on your choice. Big Dummys are awesome, and you will have a lot of great family time with it.
Old 03-20-15, 09:42 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I just call my Big Dummy...the Big Dummy, or Dummy for short.

I have no idea about your other questions but I'd suggest you check in with Clever Cycles as well.

Keith
Old 03-21-15, 03:47 PM
pampera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoRoK
I So I took delivery of my Big Dummy Monday and I've had a few rides with the boy (8 months old) in a Yepp Maxi. There's a few things I need help with. First, I am having a hard time with naming the BD. I thought of REO DadWagon, or the DudeMobile, but I'm not sure that I can't do better. Next, the boy likes to sleep on the back but the Yepp Maxi doesn't come with the nap bar. What have you guys done, if anything, to give head support? Lastly, has anyone used the Yepp Maxi in conjunction with the xtracycle X2 bags? The seat kind of makes half the bag unusable, unless I'm too dumb to figure it out. Any tips or tricks? I gotta say, that after 8 months of not riding bikes together with my wife (our last ride was a little 10 mile jaunt on her due date!) (we still ride, as we are car-free, just haven't been able to ride together since the birth) having this BD is like a direct happiness injection. It just brings me such joy to be riding, not only with my wife again, but with my SON! I was probably more proud of our first ride together than the day he was born! Anyway, just wanted to brag a little bit and get some advice/experience from those who've been there. I feel like now that I can do some utility cycling I have graduated to the ultimate level of bike awesomeness!
Your baby is small for a Maxi Yepp, try to change it for a reclining one. He will take naps for a long time and their neck is not strong enough to hold their heads. It's some money, indeed, but you will ride longer and safer. The Maxi Yepp is ok when they don't nap anymore, when they're two years old or more, believe me, if you go to the pool, after that shopping and then back home there's no way they won't be tired. And that happens to my 4 years old!!! So, their heads bent forward is no way to sleep with their necks ok.
And believe me, I'm not a "bubble-wrapping" mom nor an ultra protecting one, but their necks need to be straight and relaxed with a reclining seat.

I had both the Maxi and the Mini and sold them and replaced with GMG junior and GMG the older version as they're much better LOTS of weight lighter and more comfortable for them. The old models, not the new ones. And until my baby was 2 years old I used a reclining seat. Never used the Mini as it didnt fit my bikes. (Bought without trying it).

If you are in the USA the seat sold by Yuba makes sense.

Also the Maxi Yepp is very high and now your boy could be 10 kilos or less, but when he weighs more than 15 kilos to have him 20 cm above the rack is not nice.
Old 03-22-15, 03:02 PM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what about LaMont? Anyone named their BD LaMont?
Old 03-22-15, 04:06 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
How about 'Hodor'. He's a big dummy too .

Keith
Old 03-22-15, 07:15 PM
Dan Burkhart 

So what about LaMont? Anyone named their BD LaMont?
Now that would fit.

Old 03-23-15, 01:52 PM
pampera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naming a bike is as difficult as naming a boat.
Here my Velonom is called "the train bike" ("bicitren") or the "bus bike" ("bicibus" in spanish) by my children.
I call my Dahon Speed TR "maravilla mecánica", something like "mechanical wonder".
Old 03-24-15, 01:40 AM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Now that would fit.

You get it!
Old 03-24-15, 01:41 AM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pampera
Naming a bike is as difficult as naming a boat.
Here my Velonom is called "the train bike" ("bicitren") or the "bus bike" ("bicibus" in spanish) by my children.
I call my Dahon Speed TR "maravilla mecánica", something like "mechanical wonder".
Those are cool names!
Old 03-24-15, 04:14 AM
Dan Burkhart 

You get it!
I bet you thought that one would go over our heads, right?
Old 03-24-15, 08:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Congratulations on your son and riding with him. I towed my daughters in a trailer, and it was a joy. They're grown up now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-15, 08:53 AM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I bet you thought that one would go over our heads, right?
It has gotten a lot of crickets so far…