Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 08:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I'm looking for a ride to do tomorrow that's longer, what's a ride that you shouldn't leave the island without having done at least once. Preferably something that doesn't involve a lot of trafficked roads since I've got a 7 and 9 yo running solo. We're looking to do up to 30 miles.
Old 05-24-20, 09:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
We saw the same thing on an overnight backpacking trip in Harriman/Bear Mtn. 52,000 acres to spread out in, except most roads were closed and trailheads inaccessible.

If you give people the opportunity and authority to make rules, you can rest assured....

RULES WILL BE MADE.

The boys elected to ride the woods, so we got on the tandem with 1 one friend tagging along and went up to Cold Spring Harbor for 36 miles.
Was there a MPBC mt. bike ride at Overton this morning ?
Old 05-24-20, 09:09 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Was there a MPBC mt. bike ride at Overton this morning ?
Not that I know of., A few of the guys just puttered about in Bethpage.
Old 05-24-20, 09:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'm looking for a ride to do tomorrow that's longer, what's a ride that you shouldn't leave the island without having done at least once. Preferably something that doesn't involve a lot of trafficked roads since I've got a 7 and 9 yo running solo. We're looking to do up to 30 miles.
Heres a 26 mile Manorville area ride, you park across the street from Maples restaurant, north on Rt 111 off the LIE. All good quiet roads with shoulders, not hilly, lots of woods.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32638344

I
Old 05-25-20, 12:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Heres a 26 mile Manorville area ride, you park across the street from Maples restaurant, north on Rt 111 off the LIE. All good quiet roads with shoulders, not hilly, lots of woods.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32638344

I
Appreciate it and will save it for when I trust my kids not to kill themselves or each other with random passing cars.
The weather kept the numbers low so we did a full 20 miles on Massapequa path starting from Merrick. I rode the Cannondale tandem and taped wooden blocks to the pedals with duct tape so my youngest could reach in the back. I have the tandem nearly the way I want it with drop bars TRP Hy/Rd brakes, and modifications for the kids to ride. Just found the seat was a little too high with no tool to adjust it and I need to swap my stem for something shorter and a little taller but not much.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 05-25-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 04:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Finally a day with little wind. I went to Oyster Bay and Muttentown.
Old 05-27-20, 01:22 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Brands

Had anyone gave any success with getting a live person on the phone at Brands. I just want to inquire if they would honor my warranty for a tuneup? It expired in late April and with essential businesses being closed I didn’t want to go to stores unnecessarily.
Old 05-27-20, 01:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by justtrying
Had anyone gave any success with getting a live person on the phone at Brands. I just want to inquire if they would honor my warranty for a tuneup? It expired in late April and with essential businesses being closed I didn’t want to go to stores unnecessarily.
It was March when I needed a part and was able to get someone on the phone to order it. When it came in I called them to have someone bring it out to the lot. I haven't been by since.
Old 05-27-20, 01:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode Massapequa - Oyster Bay - Tobay - Massapequa

Light wind... finally.

Has anyone driven Ocean Parkway? And status on the path extension?
Old 05-27-20, 04:07 PM
Steve B.

Message machine only. They also are not taking reservations for meeting a sales representative out to a month and the repair shop is going gangbusters. I was there last Friday, was 4th online to get a part from Ray in repairs and when I went to pay, I noticed likely a third of their on-the-sales floor inventory was sold and gone out the door. It looked like they were preparing to move.

You can e-mail and I would try that, I would expect they will honor the extension of the service. Recall they were closed completely for 2 weeks early to mid May when an employee got sick, so they are playing serious catchup at a time everybody on the planet has discovered cycling.
Old 05-27-20, 04:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I dropped my Cannondale off at Brickwell Farmingdale around March 15th. They were slammed and since I don't need it till the fall I told them it can wait till things ease up. I stopped by yesterday on a ride and it's hanging in the same place when i dropped it off. The floor is full of repairs and boxes of new bike. Luckily they are still able to get new bikes but it can take weeks to get it and then it has to be built.

Glad i do most of my own work.

@justtrying, what do you need done? If you can bring it by, I might be able to help you.
Old 05-28-20, 10:29 AM
justtrying

Originally Posted by GlennR
I dropped my Cannondale off at Brickwell Farmingdale around March 15th. They were slammed and since I don't need it till the fall I told them it can wait till things ease up. I stopped by yesterday on a ride and it's hanging in the same place when i dropped it off. The floor is full of repairs and boxes of new bike. Luckily they are still able to get new bikes but it can take weeks to get it and then it has to be built.

Glad i do most of my own work.

@justtrying, what do you need done? If you can bring it by, I might be able to help you.
Thank you for the generous offer Glenn.For the most part the bike is fine. My bike computer is not working and that was my main concern. Unfortunately unlike you or my Dad I was born with 10 thumbs. I was changing a flat on the bike earlier in the month and my wife just watched and shook her head. Glad it wasn’t a timed event.
Old 05-28-20, 10:32 AM
justtrying

Message machine only. They also are not taking reservations for meeting a sales representative out to a month and the repair shop is going gangbusters. I was there last Friday, was 4th online to get a part from Ray in repairs and when I went to pay, I noticed likely a third of their on-the-sales floor inventory was sold and gone out the door. It looked like they were preparing to move.

You can e-mail and I would try that, I would expect they will honor the extension of the service. Recall they were closed completely for 2 weeks early to mid May when an employee got sick, so they are playing serious catchup at a time everybody on the planet has discovered cycling.
Thanks Steve,by any chance were riding through Hewlett Harbor early Tues morning hope though the mist? It was a quiet ride
Old 05-28-20, 10:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Thank you for the generous offer Glenn.For the most part the bike is fine. My bike computer is not working and that was my main concern. Unfortunately unlike you or my Dad I was born with 10 thumbs. I was changing a flat on the bike earlier in the month and my wife just watched and shook her head. Glad it wasn’t a timed event.
Is the computer wired or wireless?

What model is it?

If you have a Whatsapp or gmail account we could do a video chat and I can take a look. Just yesterday I did the same with my son to help fix his lawnmower engine that was not running right. It was a stuck choke linkage and an easy fix.
Old 05-28-20, 01:44 PM
Steve B.

Thanks Steve,by any chance were riding through Hewlett Harbor early Tues morning hope though the mist? It was a quiet ride
No. I'm skipping that area during the CV period, too many idiots out not understanding the need to wear masks on their walks.
Old 05-30-20, 10:50 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Got out early since i knew it was gonna be hot. Road to Sands Point and then to Cedar Creek but decided to pass since I can see the crowds of people heading tot he trail.

Met a very nice young lady along the way and rode together for about 6 miles. She road out from Brooklyn and was looking for the best way back.

On the way home I was in the left turn lane waiting for the light to change when I heard "nice legs". I turned and it was 2 guys in a pickup truck, I said "thanks" and smiled.
Old 05-30-20, 02:35 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Rode to Tappen Beach today.

The vinyl on the seat was starting to split apart, so it’s now wrapped in blue packing tape. I ride that tantalizing line between a heavy touring bike and a light cargo bike. Type Eleven bike with Model 520 Panniers.
Old 05-30-20, 05:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Gotta be fun going up hills
Old 05-30-20, 05:14 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Gotta be fun going up hills
The corrugated polypropylene is very light actually. The big lead/acid battery is much heavier than the panniers and cargo box combined. I’ve got a solar panel, and a charge controller is on order, so I will be able to use a smaller lead/acid soon.

12 volt, 10 watt solar panel on top of the Panniers
Old 06-01-20, 01:18 PM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: '94 Litespeed Ultimate, Litespeed SS, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Super Course SS, 81 Panasonic DX2000 chrome, 74 Panasonic Sport modded, 86' Mongoose ATB Chrome modded, 97 Specialized Stumpjumper modded

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Agreed

Cyclist... he said she just turned without warning as he was coming up at 22mph.

Most weekend riders have no idea about common courtesy and think they're the only ones on the path.

I personally think the roads are safer.
I’m close to Long Island, here in Bayside Queens, and the infamous Cross Island Pkwy Bike path is straight up dangerous to ride at peak times at good speeds. All walks of life not paying attention and instagramming, and to boot the bike lanes change from left to right half way through with no real mention. It’s a free for all.

With that hat being said, if you guys cross the border, venture through little neck and Douglaston, take the greenway on northern Blvd to the CIP path, and bust a right on a weekend day into fort totten halfway down the path. Great veiws and history, and no one in your way. Spin back around and head south, cross northern and continue south by Burger King and you can climb up to the vanderbilt motor Pkwy which is a bike path that spans 3 or 4 parks. Cheers! - John
Old 06-03-20, 11:34 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Summer is here! 2 really nice outings with 5-6 riders past 2 days. Rocco's Bakery, mmmmm. 39 and 35 miles.

FWIW for local riders, the restrooms are open at Stehli beach in Bayville. Availability of facilities has been spotty and might pose a problem esp. on longer rides.
Old 06-03-20, 01:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Joe, my limiting factor is the amount of water I have. I have (2) 24oz bottles so that limits me to around 50 miles at most. On 2 rides I had to find a safe place to refill, one being a outside faucet on a store and another was a generous homeowner that gave me a bottle.
Old 06-03-20, 02:19 PM
Steve B.

Summer is here! 2 really nice outings with 5-6 riders past 2 days. Rocco's Bakery, mmmmm. 39 and 35 miles.

FWIW for local riders, the restrooms are open at Stehli beach in Bayville. Availability of facilities has been spotty and might pose a problem esp. on longer rides.
Joe, I'm seeing more and more small riding groups. Are you or any of the group wearing masks ?, if so, what kind, as my bandana is suffocating. Or are you all OK with no masks ?, which I'm kind of coming around too.as the current infection rat is really low, thus I kind of know my fellow riders are maybe not infected. Curious your thoughts.
Old 06-03-20, 07:21 PM
kaos joe

Joe, I'm seeing more and more small riding groups. Are you or any of the group wearing masks ?, if so, what kind, as my bandana is suffocating. Or are you all OK with no masks ?..
We've been bringing along the cheap paper "surgical" masks in case we need to enter a store or other place where they are required. None of my peeps have been wearing them on the road. I wore one on a trail ride once because my allergies were bothering me and I was occasionally sneezing, and was the broom wagon of the group. I don't remember you wearing the bandana when Mrs and I met you on the road.

Joe, my limiting factor is the amount of water I have. I have (2) 24oz bottles so that limits me to around 50 miles at most. On 2 rides I had to find a safe place to refill, one being a outside faucet on a store and another was a generous homeowner that gave me a bottle.
Me too, I need to drink a lot in the heat. You get to learn where sources are on familiar routes. I don't mind filling up at water fountains, etc. Once in desperation on a day it was so hot nobody was even out walking, a sprinkler in Stony Brook. Do you remember the artesian spring on Shore Rd in Lloyd Harbor? Sadly gone.
Old 06-03-20, 07:34 PM
Steve B.

. I don't remember you wearing the bandana when Mrs and I met you on the road.

. Do you remember the artesian spring on Shore Rd in Lloyd Harbor? Sadly gone.
I was wearing a bandana around my neck able to be pulled up as needed, but I’ve been doing solo rides so was never close to anybody. I keep a surgical mask in my top tube bag now. I think when I saw you on the tandem I was so thrilled to actually run into you, I just forgot. Same thing last week, I ran into one of my cycling buddies from Massapequa. We rode home 8 miles together, I totally forgot a cover, though Kevin had his on at traffic lights.

Planning a small group ride this weekend, I think we will just do a little bit less tight drafting.

Yes on the well in Cold Spring, as you head north headed to Snake Hill Rd. That the one ?. I always wondered how long it would take before the government shut that. Too bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.