Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Road Bike I.D. (Campagnolo, Neon Fade)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Road Bike I.D. (Campagnolo, Neon Fade)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
front mech Campag Nuovo Valentino
I'm thinking "Gran Sport;" Valentino was a push-rod derailleur.
Old 03-26-20, 04:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Wissahickon2
I inflated the tires, fixed a few minor things and took it for a ride last night -- it was a blast! I'll keep it and give it a little TLC. I found an image of this Meral bicycle that has similar creased stays:
Close, but lugs are different...was that a tape line on the tt?
Old 03-26-20, 05:30 PM
xiaoman1 

Dbl Post.
Old 03-26-20, 06:58 PM
Wissahickon2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The M-prefix is consistent with Mercier manufacture. I believe the first numeral is the year of manufacture. However, take the tubing decal in the photo from my previous post with caution. Like I said, this frame design was manufactured with various tubesets. Here's one with with hi-tensile tubing.

The diameter of a proper fitting seat post will be the best indicator of the tubing grade. The post appears undersize because the ears are pressed together. This could just be deformation of the ears, as there appears to be a much wider gap in the cinch slot of the tube itself. For a proper sized post, the cinch slot in the seat tube will be about 0.6mm narrower at the top, than at the bottom.

update: I measured the tubes with calipers tonight and the ID is 26.2 and OD is 28.

the serial on bb shell is M28080

and that line on the TT seems like a paint masking line to me, after picking at it.
Old 03-26-20, 07:09 PM
xiaoman1 

^^^ good news I was concerned it was a crack.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-27-20, 07:56 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm thinking "Gran Sport;" Valentino was a push-rod derailleur.
I concur with @juvela. Based on the rear (cable) arm that is stamped from flat plate, this is a Nuovo Valentino. While the Valentino and Valentino Extra used push rods, there was an upgrade to a parallelogram mechanism circa 1978 and Nuovo was added to the model name to indicate the change. Here's the page from the Catalog 17a Supplement.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-27-20, 08:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Wissahickon2
update: I measured the tubes with calipers tonight and the ID is 26.2 and OD is 28.

the serial on bb shell is M28080

and that line on the TT seems like a paint masking line to me, after picking at it.
The 28mm OD confirms metric tubing, which would be consistent with French, Spanish, Swiss and some Belgium marques up to about the mid-1980s, when most started switching to imperial diameter tubing.

The 26.2mm ID indicates a 0.9mm wall thickness, assuming the measurement is accurate and represents the true ID of the tubing. This is thick for a butted tubeset but is typical of a lightweight, plain gauge tubeset. Columbus Zeta did use this wall thickness. If the tube is slightly distorted and/or the cinch slot pinched due to an undersize post, other possibilities include Columbus Aelle (0.8mm) and Vitus 888 (0.8mm). The cinch slot would have to be notably pinched (~2mm) to be getting into the range of a single butted seat tube. Tange did use double butted seat tubes with a 0.9mm top butt but they did not produce metric tubesets.

Again, the serial number is consistent with Mercier manufacture and I believe it represents 1982. Mercier used both Columbus and Vitus in the early 1980s and Mercier remains my leading candidate.
Old 03-27-20, 10:07 AM
Wissahickon2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 28mm OD confirms metric tubing, which would be consistent with French, Spanish, Swiss and some Belgium marques up to about the mid-1980s, when most started switching to imperial diameter tubing.

The 26.2mm ID indicates a 0.9mm wall thickness, assuming the measurement is accurate and represents the true ID of the tubing. This is thick for a butted tubeset but is typical of a lightweight, plain gauge tubeset. Columbus Zeta did use this wall thickness. If the tube is slightly distorted and/or the cinch slot pinched due to an undersize post, other possibilities include Columbus Aelle (0.8mm) and Vitus 888 (0.8mm). The cinch slot would have to be notably pinched (~2mm) to be getting into the range of a single butted seat tube. Tange did use double butted seat tubes with a 0.9mm top butt but they did not produce metric tubesets.

Again, the serial number is consistent with Mercier manufacture and I believe it represents 1982. Mercier used both Columbus and Vitus in the early 1980s and Mercier remains my leading candidate.
Thank you very much -- the I.D. of the seatpost could very well be slightly distorted, as the seatpost was pinched from incorrect seatpost size, and then when I pulled it out and tried to set it back to correct cinch slot width. Appreciate all of your help with this! Whether a 1980s Mercier or not, It was a ton of fun to ride and that's all I really look for in a bike.
Old 03-28-20, 02:15 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
I concur with @juvela. Based on the rear (cable) arm that is stamped from flat plate, this is a Nuovo Valentino. While the Valentino and Valentino Extra used push rods, there was an upgrade to a parallelogram mechanism circa 1978 and Nuovo was added to the model name to indicate the change. Here's the page from the Catalog 17a Supplement.

-----

Thanks very much T-Mar!

For readers -

its use in this situation is not a case of frankening

there was no 980 model front mech and the Nuovo Valentino was employed as a companion for the 980 model rear mech in the 980 model gear ensemble

Bianchi fans may be familiar with its use on the ca. 1982 model Bianchi 980 model bicycle

-----