Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Couple of years-STILL adjusting saddle!

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 01:45 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts

You'd think by now I'd have it dialed in. But the last ride felt like it was trying to move me forward. The seatpost is a one bolt adjust, with serrations on the cradle. So I marked both parts with a marker so could tell how much, or if, I had moved by looking at the two sides of the marker. Only moved it one serration (and they aren't large serrations), but just took it up the street and back and it feels more "neutral" now. Maybe the saddle rails "bedded in". I'm on the thin side-have the opposite problem of most-can't gain weight--so haven't gained any padding back there, so had to be a saddle adjustment. Just when ya think you've got it set...............
Old 06-03-20, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You say you are sliding forward while riding? For me that usually would mean there is too much reach to the bars or simply too much tilt. It's one of the reasons I have my saddle further forward when everyone else is trying to push theirs as far back as it will go.

I used to ride with a little nose down. Some like it nose slightly up. But for a while now, I've had my saddle pretty much level.

I don't like those one bolt posts. I like the posts with two bolts that serve to both clamp the saddle and change the tilt. They can be a little harder to deal with mounting the saddle, but I'm willing to cuss a little just so I can have infinite tilt positions.
Old 06-03-20, 07:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I'll second the 2-bolt seatposts. HTey make dialing in the tilt and back ad forth position so much easier, And you can do tiny adjusts and go back exactly. (I back off the rear bolt a bunch, then either slide the seat for fore and aft or tweak the forward bolt (say) 1/4 turn to lower the nose. Tighten the rear and ride.

Good seatposts are the Nittos and the Thompsons but there are others too, (And a weirdo that had bolts on both sides. All the disadvantages of each system and none of the advantages of either. I'm still scratching my head.) I have a NItto and two customs built the Thompson clamps.
Old 06-04-20, 05:02 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
There is one-bolt and there is one-bolt. I have a specialized one bolt and it is simple to adjust the tilt and clamp the saddle as well as adjust fore-aft.

But yeah, one is always adjusting because it depends on your current fitness as well as generally being an adjustment where small changes can make a big difference, partially because changing the height also changes the reach,
Old 06-05-20, 09:07 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
There is one-bolt and there is one-bolt. I have a specialized one bolt and it is simple to adjust the tilt and clamp the saddle as well as adjust fore-aft.

But yeah, one is always adjusting because it depends on your current fitness as well as generally being an adjustment where small changes can make a big difference, partially because changing the height also changes the reach,
Yep!