Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need help in building my first build - Cervello R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 01:05 AM
vijayl

Bikes: Giant TCR C1 - 16.5 lbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Background:
I've been riding a 2006 Giant TCR C1 in smail size, I'm 5'5" and it is a perfect fit for me and now decided to build a new bike for myself.

Plan:
Just placed an order for 2018 Cervello R3 and going with Ultegra Di-2 R8050 (rim brake). I'm trying to keep my cost low and want to keep the weight to about 16 lbs.
  • Groupset: Ultegra R8050 - Di-2 - rim brakes
  • Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST
  • Drop bar: TBD - Looking for carbon aero bars with internal routing
  • Stem: TBD
What are the things to watch out for during the assembly? Do you have a good article that I can follow?
Old 06-04-20, 03:34 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Property torque all bolts to spec
use carbon paste
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 06-04-20, 06:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by vijayl
Background:
I've been riding a 2006 Giant TCR C1 in smail size, I'm 5'5" and it is a perfect fit for me and now decided to build a new bike for myself.

Plan:
Just placed an order for 2018 Cervello R3 and going with Ultegra Di-2 R8050 (rim brake). I'm trying to keep my cost low and want to keep the weight to about 16 lbs.
What are the things to watch out for during the assembly? Do you have a good article that I can follow?
Are you doing this for fun or to save money? Just curious, when there's eg. options like below to get this built for you:
COMP CYCLIST - CUSTOM R3 RIM
Old 06-04-20, 09:31 AM
vijayl

Bikes: Giant TCR C1 - 16.5 lbs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are you doing this for fun or to save money? Just curious, when there's eg. options like below to get this built for you:
COMP CYCLIST - CUSTOM R3 RIM
I'm mostly a DIYer. I enjoy learning new things and do my own custom/personalization; and save some money as well while doing it. I could have gone with a ready ride Cervello R3 w Di2, but decided to build it myself. I was very happy to see a personal email from the co-owner of MBS offering to giude me through my build.
Old 06-04-20, 04:46 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Background:

Plan:
I can't help you, but I just came here to say that this is the bike I'd buy if I was in the market today. For the price, looks, and Di2 shifting, it's the perfect mix for me. The only thing is, I'd prefer disc brakes (not for a functionality thing; more for looks).
Old 06-04-20, 07:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I had an R3 years ago. It's a fantastic bike. You'll love it.
Old 06-04-20, 09:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Where’s the battery going ?. If in the seat tube, don’t install the bottom bracket till the cables and B Junction box are installed unless the frame has the nifty access port to route cables. If press fit bottom bracket maybe have a shop install as they have the tools.

If putting the b-bracket in the fork, get a stem that provides for the Di2 cable.

Also there some special type of compression plug for the fork that allows an E-Tube cable.

If using the 111 BlueTooth transceiver, maybe consider the XT Di2 display instead. It can replace the A Junction as well as 111 unit, saves about $85. It mounts on the h-bar. Gives you gear indication, 3 E-Tube ports, the BT connection and the charging port. Uses a bit of space on the bar.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-04-20 at 09:36 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-04-20, 10:35 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Good luck with the build. I absolutely love my 2012 R5. I just got a new set of Ksyriums for it too. This weekend I’ll hopefully be putting the bottom bracket back together. My drive side cup had walked itself a little askew. If it doesn’t take, I might switch it over to a one-piece design. I’ve read about mixed results with these Campy cups, but apparently with the right retaining compound and good prep it should be fine.
Old 06-06-20, 05:37 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Have fun with the build. You'll have a great bike when you're done.
Old 06-07-20, 02:06 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I just built up my R5 a few months ago with Ultegra Di2 (hydro). I used 3T Superergo carbon handlebars. Very light, internal cabling, good shape and also very comfortable in terms of absorbing road buzz.

For stem - I'd like to find a lightweight stem that allows me to tuck the cables against it on the handlebar end and where they emerge out from near the steerer end. That would clean up the bike a lot. The Specialized aero stem does that, but it is very heavy. For now, i am using a Kalloy SuperUno stem - lighter than most carbon stems and $20. I've used this for years on my bikes and think this is one of the best performance/$ items out there.