Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing a riser bar with a standard one VS lowering the stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 04:27 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

This is a thought process that I'd like to run with the BikeForum people. I hope I'm correct here...

Let's say you have a riser dropbar on your bike. It has a 15 mm rise.

Assumption: Your bike has a head tube angle of 71.5 degrees.
  1. You replace the riser bar with a conventional dropbar with no rise. Let's assume everything else is the same (i.e. reach, drop, width, etc).
  2. You lower your stem by 15 mm, either by flipping the stem or removing the spacers.
My observation is that those two scenarios yield different results in terms of the effect they have on the handlebar height and reach.
  1. It lowers the handlebar height by 15 mm but has no effect on the reach.
  2. It lowers the handlebar height by 14.2 mm (15 x sin 71.5 deg) and increases the reach by 4.7 mm (15 x cosine 71.5 deg)
It is because the change in bar height (i.e. riser vs conventional) is purely vertical whereas the change in stem height occurs parallel to the head tube.

Am I correct? Or am I missing something?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-27-23, 04:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5006 Post(s)
Liked 8,177 Times in 3,869 Posts
The rotation/angle of the handlebar would affect the result. Most often, drop bars are rotated up from horizontal (using the bottom of the drops as a reference) to some degree when installed, which would change the effective direction of the rise away from purely vertical.

In the real world, fractions of millimeters difference probably won't be noticed.
Old 07-28-23, 06:39 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 320 Posts
Depends on how you define "reach". The standard definition of "reach" in the context of frame geometry is defined as the horizontal distance from the BB to the top of the head tube, so it's not dependent on your bar height. If you define reach as purely the horizontal distance between some point of reference on the frame/seatpost to some point of reference on the top of the handlebar then you are correct. If you are defining reach as the actual distance between some reference on the frame/seat (eg, the front of the saddle) to the top of the shifter hoods, then this distance will also be changed when going from a 15mm riser bar to a 0mm riser bar, but not equal to reducing 15mm of steerer spacers while keeping the same handlebar, for the reason you described. You can calculate this if you know the saddle-bar drop distance.

Last edited by tFUnK; 07-28-23 at 06:43 AM.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-28-23, 06:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,074 Times in 749 Posts
Use this stem comparison tool to give you height and reach numbers to get the measurements you want. Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net Great for showing how flipping the stem creates different reach numbers when trying to get the same height with different spacers.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-28-23, 10:33 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 250 Posts
Kind of a moot point all around. I mean yes; it will change things somewhat, but we seem to be assuming that besides that 15mm difference every other geometry was 100.000000% correct and any changes would be noticeable. There is a good chance it won't be noticeable. There is an even better chance that the geometry was not indeed 100.000000% correct so it may end up better, or going in the opposite direction and still not be noticeable.
Likes For abdon:
Old 07-28-23, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,840 Times in 3,337 Posts
If you replace the bars, then what is the reach for the bars you will replace them with? Different drop bars have different reach. So if you go that route, then that'll make a difference. Otherwise you've got the gist of it. Although lowering your bars might have you wanting to do other things to tweak the position.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-28-23, 07:09 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Depends on how you define "reach". The standard definition of "reach" in the context of frame geometry is defined as the horizontal distance from the BB to the top of the head tube, so it's not dependent on your bar height. If you define reach as purely the horizontal distance between some point of reference on the frame/seatpost to some point of reference on the top of the handlebar then you are correct. If you are defining reach as the actual distance between some reference on the frame/seat (eg, the front of the saddle) to the top of the shifter hoods, then this distance will also be changed when going from a 15mm riser bar to a 0mm riser bar, but not equal to reducing 15mm of steerer spacers while keeping the same handlebar, for the reason you described. You can calculate this if you know the saddle-bar drop distance.
Very insightful! Indeed I was referring to "raech" loosely as the horizontal distance between a certain point of the hoods and the front tip of the saddle, which is different than the reach used in frame geometry. And you're right, if we talk about the the distance between the front tip of the saddle and the TOP of the hoods, then yes, that distance will change because of the lower position of the hoods. Given the geometric reach of my bike, I figure the difference will be around 0.25 mm, which is insignificant.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-28-23, 07:16 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you replace the bars, then what is the reach for the bars you will replace them with? Different drop bars have different reach. So if you go that route, then that'll make a difference. Otherwise you've got the gist of it. Although lowering your bars might have you wanting to do other things to tweak the position.
In this scenario, I assumed the other geometric values of the two bars, such as reach, height and width, were the same. As you mentioned, different reaches can make a huge difference.

Last edited by daihard; 07-28-23 at 07:25 PM.