Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My first snowy commute ride in this season! (as the NE gets pounded by blizzard)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My first snowy commute ride in this season! (as the NE gets pounded by blizzard)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 12:16 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone else?

in NYC i counted 4-5 cyclists other than myself. a couple of them were pushing their bike.

this morning i swapped my 700x28 gatorskins for my 700x40 nokian hakkapeliitta studded tires and went to work.

well there was nothing plowed. i was slipping and sliding everywhere.

on the brooklyn bridge, i greeted one of two snow plowers. dodged the tourists (yes they're still there in this blizzard, just like me) and got into manhattan.

it was a ghost town. roads were not plowed, but the building porters were furiously clearing the sidewalks. but there were hardly any pedestrians (or motor traffic either). i rode the sidewalks then to work b/c i kept getting pushed around by the snow in the roads that had been trafficked before me.

over untouched snow, riding over it was fine.

c'mon - who else?? tell us your story today!

Last edited by snow_echo_NY; 01-07-18 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 12:57 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here i wrote up in @Colorado_Kid's post

i rode in! wrote up a ride report. it wasn't great. the winds were high and the snow is coming in really fast and sideways.

it's grey and a complete blizzard here on the east coast. white out conditions. the snow is coming in sideways and it's coming in fast and hard. it's really white out conditions here but not much accumulation i would say about 1 in when i was out there this morning - but the wind keeps blowing it around. it's cold here so nothing is melting really. but it's a ghost town.

i got up at 6:30 and started to go to work on changing my wheels out - i have wheels with studded tires, so i switched my normal wheels for those. unscrew the wheel, disconnect the caliper brakes, take it out, put the new ones on, re-screw those in the drops, re-connect the caliper brakes. give it a spin. pump the tires. and go. i wiped down the rims too so that the brakes would have something clean to work on.

i biked in on my bike - changed out my tires this morning for studded tires. it was slippery. almost nothing was plowed. as i got onto the bridge i finally saw the plow descending the bridge to plow the entrance way which i just went thru. i pulled over, gave a wave and kept going. it was surreal but i've seen this all before - just not in awhile i would say. when i got to manhattan - still nothing plowed. but the bldg porters were out there in full force clearing the sidewalks. only there were hardly any pedestrians, nor cars out there. it was deserted for sure. so i rode the sidewalks b/c the streets were too slippery, i was getting pushed around in the uneven snow.

it looks like "snowmageddon" out there. dark and scary.

Last edited by snow_echo_NY; 01-04-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 05:46 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're better than me, I wouldn't chance my commute on my road bike.
Old 01-05-18, 04:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yesterday, no way. I stayed home. I could have got to work before it started, but to get home I would have had to leave by noon... not worth it.

Today, Friday, I have ridden to the station, interesting ride with some poorly plowed streets and some that haven't been plowed at all. Now I'm on the train in to the city. Something tells me the citibikes won't be available today, but we'll see!
Old 01-05-18, 07:57 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Got any pictures?
Old 01-05-18, 08:44 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Does it look anything like this from 2 years ago?

Old 01-05-18, 02:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

It's pretty much slush in the midtown Manhattan streets now. The travel lanes are clear, but the edges, where bikes go, are still thick with dirty slush. And drivers seem a little on edge.
Old 01-05-18, 02:12 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Just been riding through 0F and a couple normal snowstorms here in Chicago.

How do you like the Nokian tires? I've got the studded Schwalbe Winter tires, which are OK. I figured with the semi-smooth tread they would roll ok on non-blizzard days. If I realized how poorly they rolled, I think I would have gone for something more aggressive that would have been better going through snow and rutted snow/ice.
Old 01-05-18, 02:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
from 2 years ago
only in New York, those guys
Old 01-05-18, 02:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
anyone else?
I road yesterday & as I started, I remember distinctly thinking, this might be fun but sure glad I don't have to commute in this! hahaha, sorry
Old 01-05-18, 04:20 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Hey I only just now read the title of this thread !

Didn't anyone get caught in that snowstorm we had a couple weeks ago? I was riding home from the station that afternoon, it was coming down hard, building up fast. Good times! I like riding in an inch or two of fresh snow. The drivers freak out, though, which spoils the fun.
Old 01-05-18, 04:32 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Glad you're keeping it real and showing us how it's done, Snow Echo! Good work! Signed, an impressed Colorado girl
Old 01-05-18, 04:41 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
- still nothing plowed. but the bldg porters were out there in full force clearing the sidewalks...
Doormen?
Old 01-06-18, 11:05 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Doormen?
a.k.a. porter
Old 01-06-18, 07:07 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
on the brooklyn bridge
A quick inquiry, because your subsequent post mentions your bike has studded tires: How were the tires on the Brooklyn Bridge?

For those from Away, between the anchorages, the Brooklyn Bridge’s pedpath is surfaced with wood. If it’s not dry, it’s craptacularly slippery. Unless it’s severe clear, I avoid it.

Because of temperature, 2 days after the storm there’s still plenty of ice out there.
Old 01-06-18, 11:59 PM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
A quick inquiry, because your subsequent post mentions your bike has studded tires: How were the tires on the Brooklyn Bridge?

For those from Away, between the anchorages, the Brooklyn Bridge’s pedpath is surfaced with wood. If it’s not dry, it’s craptacularly slippery. Unless it’s severe clear, I avoid it.

Because of temperature, 2 days after the storm there’s still plenty of ice out there.
Typically in regular tires I tend to slip back on the “uphill” - I just deal with it. Whether snow or ice...The bike doesn’t do that with studded tires and I tend to have better traction - It was also well plowed so not very much of an issue that day...!
Old 01-07-18, 12:44 AM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
a.k.a. porter
I suppose you can think of them as doormen but they’re not the ones manning security or the doors - they’re the guys that take care of running the building making sure all is taken care of. But they were smart to keep shoveling as it came down bc it piled up in no time and I’m sure got pretty heavy pretty quick.
Old 01-07-18, 12:51 AM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed all these posts!
@evan326 - riding on a road bike is probably a really bad idea. I only have x28 and x40 and I knew I would need a fatter tire - unfortunately that’s the fattest I got. If I had space and $$$ for a fat bike I’d use that in a heartbeat
@rhm I can’t believe how badly the roads are plowed I feel like NYC has gotten worse with this. I saw some citibikes out today Saturday and the roads are still a mess...
@mgw4jc I can probably pull off some vid from my fly 6. I’ll have to look that up. It’s probably not too great but I’ll try for the heck of it
Old 01-07-18, 01:02 AM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Just been riding through 0F and a couple normal snowstorms here in Chicago.

How do you like the Nokian tires? I've got the studded Schwalbe Winter tires, which are OK. I figured with the semi-smooth tread they would roll ok on non-blizzard days. If I realized how poorly they rolled, I think I would have gone for something more aggressive that would have been better going through snow and rutted snow/ice.

They are knobby as heck and thus super slow. I don’t mind as I’m not looking for less rolling resistance- but my commute is on the short side - it’s virtually a warm up ride - there are some recommendations I saw on the ice bike list.

If you want a faster tire I would stay away from Nokians it sounds like they might be one of the slowest.

Here are some excerpts:

“The winter tire you ride should depend on the typical conditions that you ride in. Are your roads typically plowed but moderate or frequent ice? Then Schwalb Marathon winters are great in my experience. If however you're riding a lot of unplowed rutted snowy icy roads, then Nokian Hakkepitas are better as they have excellent side studs with aggressive knobs plus have softer rubber (with downside they're heavier and do require a bit more clearance). Finally, if you don't see a lot of snow and are riding mostly pavement with the odd patch of ice, then my preferred rubber is the Continental Topcontact Winter II. No studs, but very high tech tread that grabs slick ice extremely well, and has extremely soft rubber contact. I have full sets of all three types mounted and change wheels when conditions change. But if I was only going to run one pair, it would be the SAhwals

“I replaced a pair of 10-year-old Nokian Extremes with Schwalbe Marathon Winters two years ago. They handle very differently. The Marathon Winters are remarkably free-rolling on pavement, hardly any slower than the Marathons I use in summer. The Nokian Extremes, on the other hand, were like tractor tires – painfully slow and noisy on pavement, but superb on soft snow. And on ice, the 10-year-old Nokian Extremes still provided better turning traction than the new Schwalbe Marathon Winters.

The Schwalbe are great for riding errands around town, and they’re fine on patches of ice as long as it’s fairly smooth and I don’t have to turn much while on ice. But I don’t feel nearly as secure or relaxed on ice as I did when using the Nokians.
Old 01-07-18, 01:09 AM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Hey I only just now read the title of this thread !

Didn't anyone get caught in that snowstorm we had a couple weeks ago? I was riding home from the station that afternoon, it was coming down hard, building up fast. Good times! I like riding in an inch or two of fresh snow. The drivers freak out, though, which spoils the fun.
I didn’t - was away on holiday or out of town when it happened- hah that’s very true.

I should update - I didn’t ride back home bc winds picked up to 35 mph from 25 mph and I also got a flat tire when I returned to the bike (indoor storage) I must have pumped it too much? The tube was 2 years old at that point. Didn’t have a patch kit or extra tube cuz I hardly use the tires... tried repumping but it was not holding air. Rode the subway back and read my book instead. Today I went to the bike shop and got it replaced - and bought an extra tube and patch kit.

Fri I didn’t get to ride bc LBS was closed. Heard from my husband that it was a mess and the bridge was the best part as it was clear.
Old 01-07-18, 07:32 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
I've never ridden my studs on wood before, but I'm guessing that studded tires on a wooden surface (wet or dry, not snow/ice) must be about the best traction any bike could ever get? Except for maybe knobbies digging into firm, moist clay.
Old 01-07-18, 08:52 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

... riding on a road bike is probably a really bad idea. I only have x28 and x40 and I knew I would need a fatter tire - unfortunately that’s the fattest I got. If I had space and $$$ for a fat bike I’d use that in a heartbeat
The problem, wouldn't you know it, is the cars.

Skinny road bike tires slice through fresh snow and make good contact with the pavement. As long as you ride where cars haven't driven yet, it's fine.

After a few cars have packed the snow down, it's a different story. The packed snow prevents bicycle tires from making contact with the road, but isn't hard enough to support the riders weight. Riding to the station on Friday, even my 2.3" smooth tires were breaking through that snowpack where the street wasn't plowed. That's when I had to walk. Ugh.

Luckily it was only a few short sections.
Old 01-07-18, 03:01 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
[...] even my 2.3" smooth tires were breaking through that snowpack where the street wasn't plowed. That's when I had to walk. Ugh.
Isn’t that what commuting in the snow (and ice) really is, for all of us — biking and walking?

Me too says 'ugh' sometimes. To be honest. Courage!
Old 01-08-18, 12:09 PM
smokeysurvival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've still been riding regularly in Manhattan and Staten Island despite the snow. The bike lanes on 1st and 2nd avenue (below 14th street) are still pretty bad last I rode there. The East River Greenway starting by the 23rd street entrance, till the narrow section at the con-edison station, is still impassable on wheels too as of yesterday. Lots of the Allen street bike lane, all the way down Pike street, aren't cleared very well either as of a few days ago. I can say the new Greenway on Richmond avenue on Staten Island is pretty clear though last I was there. The Queensboro bridge path is clear as well but I'd assume getting onto 2nd avenue afterwards would be a nightmare.
Attached Images

Last edited by smokeysurvival; 01-09-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 04:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
I left the city on Friday morning and got back this afternoon. On Friday morning, I measured about nine inches of snowfall, but that's going to vary a lot, as the accumulation was uneven.

I saw some folks on bikes today. The streets are still messy. I'm not eager to get out there.

On Friday this week we might have rain and high temperatures. I hope so.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.