Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Name Your Oddest Flat Tire Causer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Name Your Oddest Flat Tire Causer

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 09:04 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Nothing that causes a flat on the road strikes me as "odd" at least when compared to those inexplicable spontaneous blowouts that happen when your bike is sitting at home hanging on the wall several hours after you last rode it. I've had those happen two or three times. Really freaky.
Old 06-27-17, 03:51 PM
milesp1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kids bike had a flat. I fixed the flat, the tire went flat. I took the tire off, fixed the flat, felt around for anything that was causing the puncture but found nothing. Tire went flat. Tried two more times before I figured out that there was a wire embedded in the tire that only poked out when pressure was applied to it. Dug it out and no more problems.
Old 06-27-17, 06:41 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Similar to Woodcraft photo, but steel spike went through the tire and the alloy Mavic rim about 30-some years ago on our custom Assenmacher tandem.
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem!
Old 06-28-17, 01:09 PM
Rider51

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, S-Works Camber, Eddy Merckx Ti-Ax

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know how odd this is, but I'm going to say Spin Skins. Anyone remember them? They were this thin kevlar liner you put inside your tube, like Mr. Tuffy or Slime, only smaller. The issue was, if you didn't get it just perfect, it would cause pinch flats. Or, if you did line it up right, and it slid a little over time, for whatever the reason (hard cornering), you'd pinch flat. Refusing to ditch them and admitting I wasted money, I spent an inordinate effort making sure it was perfectly aligned. Only to find out a month later I flatted again, because it was shredding apart within the tire.

As far as cars go, I remember seeing my local mechanic pulling a full 1/2 open ended wrench out of a tire. How on earth the guy who ran over it hit it just right to where it was able to puncture completely through the tire I'll never know. But it sure was a sight to see.

Looked kind of like this:

Old 06-28-17, 04:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
^ Whoa!

Old 06-28-17, 10:26 PM
sooznd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if this is odd, or just my own ignorance. I hadn't ridden a bike for several years all during high school or college. When I went to grad school, I got a ten speed bike in 1972. The tire was low, so I went to a gas station and used their pump. I was not using a tire gauge and heard a loud explosion. Looked across the street to see what had happened and then realized I had over filled my tire and it was the cause of the explosion! LOL
Old 06-29-17, 05:14 PM
milesp1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Rider51;19683370]I don't know how odd this is, but I'm going to say Spin Skins. Anyone remember them? They were this thin kevlar liner you put inside your tube, like Mr. Tuffy or Slime, only smaller. The issue was, if you didn't get it just perfect, it would cause pinch flats. Or, if you did line it up right, and it slid a little over time, for whatever the reason (hard cornering), you'd pinch flat. Refusing to ditch them and admitting I wasted money, I spent an inordinate effort making sure it was perfectly aligned. Only to find out a month later I flatted again, because it was shredding apart within the tire.

As far as cars go, I remember seeing my local mechanic pulling a full 1/2 open ended wrench out of a tire. How on earth the guy who ran over it hit it just right to where it was able to puncture completely through the tire I'll never know. But it sure was a sight to see.

Looked kind of like this:

My wife once drove over a door hinge that managed to completely go through the tire. I had no idea that was even possible, it seems like the surface area would be too great to go through the steel belting. But it happened, huge gash in the tire, wish I had taken a picture to prove it.