Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 10:51 AM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of GXP BB do you guys run? Put about 1500 miles on the stock GXP BB that came with my S300s and it's started to click when out of the saddle or under heavy load. I've cleaned/re-greased it and made sure everything is tightened down. I know a lot of folks move to square taper cranksets because of similar issues. But for those of you that do run GXP, is it worth upgrading to a nicer Hope/Chris King BB or will I have the same issues based on the GXP design? I'm fine with buying a new cheap BB every 1.5k miles or so, just didn't know if theres a permanent solution other than going with a square taper solution.
Old 12-13-17, 11:05 AM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zubes5280
What kind of GXP BB do you guys run? Put about 1500 miles on the stock GXP BB that came with my S300s and it's started to click when out of the saddle or under heavy load. I've cleaned/re-greased it and made sure everything is tightened down. I know a lot of folks move to square taper cranksets because of similar issues. But for those of you that do run GXP, is it worth upgrading to a nicer Hope/Chris King BB or will I have the same issues based on the GXP design? I'm fine with buying a new cheap BB every 1.5k miles or so, just didn't know if theres a permanent solution other than going with a square taper solution.
My S300's clicked as well and it was loose chainring bolts. Tightenwd down and all good. I swapped the stock BB for the SRAM team GXP and it has been going for 2,000+ miles with no issues at all. I bought it from LBS for around $30, but Im sure you can find cheaper. EBay has been known to have ceramic gxp bb's for cheap as well.
Old 12-13-17, 12:36 PM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
My S300's clicked as well and it was loose chainring bolts. Tightenwd down and all good. I swapped the stock BB for the SRAM team GXP and it has been going for 2,000+ miles with no issues at all. I bought it from LBS for around $30, but Im sure you can find cheaper. EBay has been known to have ceramic gxp bb's for cheap as well.
Awesome, thanks for getting back to me. I'm using a Sugino chainring with my S300s so I'm going to make sure none of those bolt loosened when I get home. I'll also do some research on the team GXP BB. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-14-17, 12:35 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are these machined holes around the spoke holes for? This is a brand new front wheel from Aventon that I flatted out on a 50 mile ride with and noticed that the rim strip is not covering these smaller holes. They are in about 3 places around the rim. They are almost set too wide on the rim for a rim strip to fully cover, without interfering with the bead set.

Anyone...
Old 12-14-17, 12:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
What are these machined holes around the spoke holes for? ....
Odds are they're related to production than anything about the finished product.

For example, anodizing rims requires submersion in baths of various chemicals, Air vent and drain holes are necessary if the rim is anodized after being completed but before drilling, or if the rim has corner channels that are separate from drilled area, as is common on many single wall rims with pinned construction.

Multiple drain holes are often drilled to speed draining, or because a single hole can get air bound and not drain properly.

Edit, I didn't see a clear picture when I posted earlier. Looking again, there's another possibility. Those rims are joined with pins in the channels along the outer edges. So, one purpose for the holes is as a stop for the pin, to ensure that it doesn't get pushed into one side rather than evenly engage both sides. Also, since the pin is blocking the channel added holes are needed for draining if the rim is anodized after being formed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-15-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-15-17, 06:35 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Here's a newb question. Why are there so many fixed gear frames which are obviously meant for the street and not the velodrome not produced with two bottle mount braze ons? And why, on the frames that have one set of braze ons, is it usually mounted on the seat tube and not the down tube?

I've been browsing for a possible future build. My requirements are a quality butted steel tubeset with classic straight TT geometry, two bottle mounts and preferably top tube cable guides since I like to mount frame pumps and the clamp on mounts will probably hit it. I've concluded that a frame that also has a pump peg will never materialize. Not talking about a $2000 custom frame but one that is reasonably priced like a Wabi, Surly, ect.
Old 12-15-17, 08:41 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Except for the pump peg, the Kilo WT frame meets your requirements, except for the smallest size that has a sloping top tube. I have one and it makes for a great long distance SSFG touring bike.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 12-15-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 09:03 AM
Lazyass

Yeah, I like the Kilo WT. I almost bought one. I don't really like the dropouts, they're kind of cheap looking. The Wabi Classic would be perfect if it had brake cable guides. Perhaps I could glue small pieces of foam on my frame pump where it would contact the clamp on guides.
Old 12-15-17, 11:10 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah, I like the Kilo WT. I almost bought one. I don't really like the dropouts, they're kind of cheap looking. The Wabi Classic would be perfect if it had brake cable guides. Perhaps I could glue small pieces of foam on my frame pump where it would contact the clamp on guides.
Here's a post from the thread next to this one.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I'd be concerned that the clip on units might get pushed around in use and scratch my paint. The screw down clips aren't going to move.

https://wabicycles.com/collections/c...cable-clip-set
Old 12-15-17, 11:33 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Here's a newb question. Why are there so many fixed gear frames which are obviously meant for the street and not the velodrome not produced with two bottle mount braze ons? And why, on the frames that have one set of braze ons, is it usually mounted on the seat tube and not the down tube?

I've been browsing for a possible future build. My requirements are a quality butted steel tubeset with classic straight TT geometry, two bottle mounts and preferably top tube cable guides since I like to mount frame pumps and the clamp on mounts will probably hit it. I've concluded that a frame that also has a pump peg will never materialize. Not talking about a $2000 custom frame but one that is reasonably priced like a Wabi, Surly, ect.
Sloping TT, but has cable stops and the pump peg.

https://handsomecycles.com/products/fredward-frameset
Old 12-15-17, 01:00 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Anyone...
I don't know why they are there but i would fill them with epoxy or J-B Weld so they don't cause an issue with flats.
Old 12-15-17, 05:17 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Sloping TT, but has cable stops and the pump peg.

https://handsomecycles.com/products/fredward-frameset
That one is cool but not really my style. I think the Gunnar Street Dog would fit the bill.

Lickbike.com | Gunnar Street Dog single speed road frame

Old 12-15-17, 09:01 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
+1 on the Gunnar street dog. I was in the middle of ordering a custom Roadie when I realized a 14 series Waterford came out to $50 cheaper lol.
Anyway where can I find this part?

It goes here

Last edited by Wspsux; 12-15-17 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 04:54 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The bolt or the other piece? Or both? What are the hubs in the picture?
Old 12-16-17, 09:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
It is in your hand.
Old 12-17-17, 02:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Chances are it is a standard thread. Take the one you have to a hardware store and find a bolt whose thread matches and find a suitable washer. Get them in stainless steel if possible. If it doesn't exactly match the other bolt, buy two so they match if that's important to you.
Old 12-18-17, 10:27 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
The bolt or the other piece? Or both? What are the hubs in the picture?
The whole shibang. They're some Japanese hubs I got on ebay, Novatrc I think

Thanks JohnDT!
Old 12-18-17, 12:19 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
The whole shibang. They're some Japanese hubs I got on ebay, Novatrc I think

Thanks JohnDT!
How are they? Kinda exactly what I'm looking for.....
Old 12-18-17, 03:46 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
The whole shebang. They're some Japanese hubs I got on ebay, Novatec I think.
Then, these should work >>> https://wabicycles.com/collections/c...nt-wheel-bolts

I took the liberty to correct your spelling.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-18-17, 04:46 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Is SS a young person's only game?

I'm starting to get sharp knee pains. I roding Single Speed for many years...from MTB to fixie roadbike . Then, I took a few years off, but 2 years ago, I came back with a vengence...but starting last year, started suffering from knee problem for no reason. Maybe aging? I can still ride all day...just can't go 100% like I used to. I just ride slow and steady...but hills and wind kills my knee. Luckily, pretty flat here. But windy around this time of year.

I often dream of doing the MS150 in Austin with a SS or fixie. But realizing it's probably not going to happen.

Is it time to give up SS?
Have you tried getting a pair of knickers? Having a pair to cover your knees in cold weather feels wonderful. They are a little harder to find than most bike shorts, but Under Armour has some really nice ones, and you can throw a pair of bike shorts over them.

Have you checked your saddle height and fore/aft position on the saddle? Bike fit can be a culprit for knee pain too.

Also, over-riding can contribute too. How often do you ride ss, and how many miles?

Dave
Old 12-18-17, 04:56 PM
fixedweasel

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is SS a young person's only game?

I'm starting to get sharp knee pains. I roding Single Speed for many years...from MTB to fixie roadbike . Then, I took a few years off, but 2 years ago, I came back with a vengence...but starting last year, started suffering from knee problem for no reason. Maybe aging? I can still ride all day...just can't go 100% like I used to. I just ride slow and steady...but hills and wind kills my knee. Luckily, pretty flat here. But windy around this time of year.

I often dream of doing the MS150 in Austin with a SS or fixie. But realizing it's probably not going to happen.

Is it time to give up SS?

Nope, don't do it! Honestly, it has nothing to do with your age and more to do with what's specifically going on with your knees. You can have a 20 year old with cartilage/tendon/meniscus problems that could cause them great pain if riding fixed as well. Hell, I'll be 54 and still do all my Centuries/Brevets fixed in a 54x16 gear.* When I'm in shape I can flip my wheel on calm days and run a 54x14. Knees don't give a shout too much.

*it's flat with only rollers here
Old 12-18-17, 10:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Is SS a young person's only game? I'm starting to get sharp knee pains.
I'm 62 years old, and have ridden multiple fixed-gear century rides.

If your knees are giving you problems, look to shorter crank arms and lower gears. There's no age barrier to FG/SS riding if you use the right equipment.
Old 01-22-18, 08:54 PM
coffinjewel

Bikes: Wheeler custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hey y'all just wondering if I could ask for some advice. I've been toying with the idea of buying something that isn't a 40 year old gas pipe boat anchor (not that I don't love my boat anchors lol). I came across a custom built conversion for sale and I don't know enough about it to decide if it's worth it. It might be a size to big for me but i'm willing to go try it out if it's a good deal. honestly the only thing that attracted me is the adorable star paint job that I assume is done well because the poster says it's a "400 dollar custom paint job". They say it's a Wheeler frame from the 80s with the drop outs changed for track ends. If this bike is what they say it is shouldn't they be asking much more? here is the add for refrence: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/gu...xie/1321456384 thanks!
Old 01-23-18, 12:08 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by coffinjewel
Hey y'all just wondering if I could ask for some advice. I've been toying with the idea of buying something that isn't a 40 year old gas pipe boat anchor (not that I don't love my boat anchors lol). I came across a custom built conversion for sale and I don't know enough about it to decide if it's worth it. It might be a size to big for me but i'm willing to go try it out if it's a good deal. honestly the only thing that attracted me is the adorable star paint job that I assume is done well because the poster says it's a "400 dollar custom paint job". They say it's a Wheeler frame from the 80s with the drop outs changed for track ends. If this bike is what they say it is shouldn't they be asking much more? here is the add for refrence: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/gu...xie/1321456384 thanks!
The stamps at the top of the chainstays seem to confirm the make. I don't know anything about Wheelers, but it looks like a cool, well-built bike and a decent deal -- if it fits, that is.
Old 01-23-18, 12:17 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
It is a customized bike. When you customize anything unless you are some one like Peter Weigle you lose value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.