Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB: 126mm freehub

Old 10-06-20, 08:21 AM
coffeecherrypie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
WTB: 126mm freehub

This is a bit of a long shot, but I am reconditioning a bike with a 7-speed drivetrain (circa 1991 I believe). It currently has a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette. For various reasons I want to keep the bike 7-speed. I'm looking for a NOS or just good used condition similar rear hub, or rear + front hubset, or even potentially a wheelset. The rear should be 126mm and take a cassette not a freewheel. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-06-20, 08:47 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 216 Posts
Is Hyperglide the one that has one notch that is a different size? Is condition an issue? I may have one in a wheel that got hung up after a couple broken spokes and I never got around to rebuilding it.
Old 10-06-20, 06:12 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Dura Ace?

Not sure if this is hyper glide or not, not being familiar with shimano stuff of this genre, but I do have a Dura Ace rear hub that is 7 speed I believe, it has resided in my parts drawer since 2003 or so, and predates that by a number of years. It is in very good, nearly excellent condition. Just the shell, no axle. Let me know if interested. Ed
Old 10-06-20, 07:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
DA of that period is UG, not HG.
Old 10-06-20, 09:04 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

I did locate the hub today. It is seven speed 105. 125 old. Thread on outside cog,36 H. It’s labeled 1051, which I think does make it hyperglide, which may be why I have not rebuilt the wheel. If you are interested, PM me.
Old 10-06-20, 09:09 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
are you looking for a particular model? i'm pretty sure I have at least four bare hubs and/or wheels with said hubs.
Old 10-07-20, 06:25 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
I did locate the hub today. It is seven speed 105. 125 old. Thread on outside cog,36 H. It’s labeled 1051, which I think does make it hyperglide, which may be why I have not rebuilt the wheel. If you are interested, PM me.
1051 hubs are typically UG only. Some of the very later ones had both UG and HG threading.
If there are threads on the interior of the end of the freehub, it will accept HG cogs. If there are only threads on the exterior of the freehub, it is UG only.
Old 10-07-20, 09:26 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by rccardr
1051 hubs are typically UG only. Some of the very later ones had both UG and HG threading.
If there are threads on the interior of the end of the freehub, it will accept HG cogs. If there are only threads on the exterior of the freehub, it is UG only.
thanks that clears it up. Mines UG.
Old 10-07-20, 10:10 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
thanks that clears it up. Mines UG.
Thanks for digging it up and checking it out!...sounds like it won't work out, too bad.
Old 10-07-20, 10:11 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by smoothness
are you looking for a particular model? i'm pretty sure I have at least four bare hubs and/or wheels with said hubs.
Not really! Any 126mm hub that is a decent hub in good shape that takes a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette will do!
Old 10-07-20, 10:16 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by evwxxx
Not sure if this is hyper glide or not, not being familiar with shimano stuff of this genre, but I do have a Dura Ace rear hub that is 7 speed I believe, it has resided in my parts drawer since 2003 or so, and predates that by a number of years. It is in very good, nearly excellent condition. Just the shell, no axle. Let me know if interested. Ed
Thanks Ed. I wonder how hard it would be to find the right axle...if you have the time, would you mind seeing if there's a part number on the hub somewhere? There are some complications with Dura-Ace, it appears (https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant)
Old 10-07-20, 11:38 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have one, Shimano 105 laced into a FIR rim with decent looking spokes. 36h. Has the threads on the outside and on the inside of the freehub body.

PM me if interested, I'm happy to ship and it likely won't be terribly expensive via Shipbikes.
Old 10-07-20, 11:50 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by scarlson
I have one, Shimano 105 laced into a FIR rim with decent looking spokes. 36h. Has the threads on the outside and on the inside of the freehub body.

PM me if interested, I'm happy to ship and it likely won't be terribly expensive via Shipbikes.
Sweet...PMed.
Old 10-07-20, 10:50 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie
Thanks Ed. I wonder how hard it would be to find the right axle...if you have the time, would you mind seeing if there's a part number on the hub somewhere? There are some complications with Dura-Ace, it appears (https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant)
ok, I dug thru the parts chest and found the original sprockets that go with my dura ace hub and body,,,and it is only a 6 speed UG. Since you are looking for 7 speed HG this would probably not fit your needs. I probably do have the original axle, but that is probably moot point! Good luck!
Old 10-07-20, 11:26 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie
Sweet...PMed.
Here are some pictures so you get an idea of the finish you're working with. I ran the hubs over with a wet cloth before taking the pictures to remove dust, that's why the rear may appear to be wet. It is possible you could buff out some of the stains on the paint. I certainly haven't tried very hard.

There is no pitting in the cones, for sure in the rear and I haven't had the front apart but it feels fine.
Old 10-08-20, 07:51 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by scarlson
Here are some pictures so you get an idea of the finish you're working with. I ran the hubs over with a wet cloth before taking the pictures to remove dust, that's why the rear may appear to be wet. It is possible you could buff out some of the stains on the paint. I certainly haven't tried very hard.

There is no pitting in the cones, for sure in the rear and I haven't had the front apart but it feels fine.
Thanks. PMed again.