Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Looks like some cool/cold temps coming our way

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 09:57 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

Wow, the middle of next week is showing high 40's near my house. I hate the cold. But... this year I'm determined to really work on my layering and start riding on the days that I would normally take off due to the cold. I really miss riding in the winter but I'm just way too sensitive to the cold and really need to "gear-up" for it.
Old 11-08-20, 08:13 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I'm good down into the high-30s. I just throw on an extra layer (or two), some full-fingered gloves, and after a few miles I'll be warmed up. I take a stuff sack and small bungee cord with me so if it warms up I can remove a layer of two and lash it to the rack on the bicycle. Oddly my feet and legs never seem to be affected by the cool air here in coastal Southern California. (its cool, not cold, here in SoCal !).
Old 11-08-20, 08:31 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I find a lightweight balaclava very useful on cold mornings. After awhile I swap the balaclava for a headsweat. If you can modulate your heat escaping from your neck/head, you will warm up fast until your whole body has acclimated to the cold.
Old 11-08-20, 08:40 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Looking forward to it. That and some mountain snow, and a much-needed break on the AQI, which has been especially miserable this year in my area.

~50-55 degrees is my ideal riding temp. 10 above and 10 below are OK. I should move back to the PNW, I rode comfortably year-round there, except when there were snow banks for a couple weeks during the winter. Air quality is fantastic too.
Old 11-08-20, 11:57 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I find a lightweight balaclava very useful on cold mornings. After awhile I swap the balaclava for a headsweat. If you can modulate your heat escaping from your neck/head, you will warm up fast until your whole body has acclimated to the cold.
Last year I did ride with more neck coverings and it really made a difference. Still, I just have a hard time getting and staying warm. I've done the multi-layering, full finger gloves, but I still get colt. There is no way I can take anything lower than the low 40's at best.
Old 11-08-20, 03:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
yah...scouting out those desert rides for this coming week. looks like death valley in the mid-high 60’s, palm springs in the low 70’s. anza-borrego state park in the low 70’s. mojave natl preserve area in the low-mid 60’s. desert/foothills interface of santa clarita in the upper sixties tues-thurs. looks like it warms up the following week.

mornings will be starting in the low 40’s tho.
brrr.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-10-20, 09:47 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Couple of weeks ago it was 110 degrees.... now dropped to 40. Body will take some time getting used to this.
Old 11-11-20, 08:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaMB1yX-V-k

Likes For skidder: