Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

PX10 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 05:19 PM
Ski-Patroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PX10 Mods

I have a 1969 or 70 PX10 which I have upgraded with Simplex LJ Derailures, Cinneli Stem, New TTT (wider handle bars) and a second (extra) set of clincher wheels (6spd Campy Hubs)

I also had the Stronglight cranks re-threaded to standard threads so I could put Look pedals on.

I wonder if I am ruining the collectibilty of this bike as I improve the rideablility? I also wonder if the Brooks Pro Seat might be worth more than the rest of the bike?

I have had this bike since it was new, but don't ride it much anymore. The Simplex LJ just doesn't compare with Ultegra and Dura Ace
Old 09-04-05, 06:13 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ruining collectability? Probably. But someone will be happy to get a nice old 531 frame with updated components...
Old 09-04-05, 07:09 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Those particular upgrades, in particular the LJs, would probably increase the value of the bike. Pedal threading may or may not. I wouldn't get hyped about it; as el twe points out, the 531 frame is valued in and of itself; and a model that early should have the fancy Nervex lugs.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Likes For Poguemahone:
Old 09-04-05, 10:48 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ski,

How much does this Pug weigh with the mods?

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 09-05-05, 01:54 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Swap all of the components you wish, but don't mess up the frame. If you are worried about collectibility, keep and safely store all of the original components you remove. I haven't hesitated at all to upgrade my far less collectible PKN-10.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-05-05, 06:07 PM
Ski-Patroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
Ski,

How much does this Pug weigh with the mods?

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
It is about 24 lbs with the Clincher Tires (Hutchison Carbon Comps) and Shimano (Look Compatible) pedals. I thought they were supposed to weigh 21-22 lbs when new, but the only thing that should be heavier now, are the wheels and pedals (they are pretty stout). I've still got sewup wheels and 4 spare Mavic Sewup rims. I need to build up a new set of wheels, since the original rims are pretty trashed.

It does have the fancy Nervex Lugs.

It is a pretty big frame, 58cm from C to C.
Old 09-05-05, 09:17 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
The rims and the saddle could account for about a pound and a half of that difference. Which rims are trashed - the original tubulars?
Old 09-06-05, 12:55 AM
Ski-Patroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Saddle is the original Brooks Pro. It is still in good shape, and I used it one day on Cycle Oregon on my Felt.

The original Mavic tubular rims don't have good braking surfaces anymore, and are not super straight, but I have 4 new Mavic rims that look identical, except they may be hard anodized since they are light grey in color. I think I will build up a new set of tubular wheels this winter. I've gotten kind of spoiled by the modern foldable clichers though.

Does anyone know what a 1969 PX10 would have weighed from the factory?
Old 09-13-13, 04:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I think it might be of value.......

I just reworked a PX-10 with some similar modifications. Here are some pictures:

I have owned a number of the various PX bikes fro Peugeot over the years, of various vintages and configurations.

When I found this one from the original owner last year, I thought it looked nice enough to deal with some paint issues,
and the fact that it had been ridden a lot of miles, so many of the components were worn out.

I can say that I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, not so much cosmetically (I hate painting), but in the
way it feels and rides with the 27" rims, Panaracer 1 1/4" tires (i have to deflate the rear to install the wheel),
and the much more solid feel of slightly updated stem and bars from Asia..

I've not encountered Simplex rear dropouts like these before, but I'm sure others of you have. The bike
was originally purchased by it's first owner in Germany, from a small shop that catered to racers.

All in all, quite solid feeling and very functional.

I know there are a lot of others of these that have been modified as riders rather than museum pieces,
and would hope that some of you might choose to show and explain the rationale for your modifications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 09-13-13, 05:03 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
FWIW, my 71/72 PX-10 weighed 21 pounds stock.
Likes For rootboy:
Old 09-13-13, 05:34 PM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 1976 PX-10 its a 60cm I believe. It weighs 23.4 lbs with the original tubular super champion wheelset, Ideale 90 Saddle, SLJ Derailleurs. I thought it would be a little more lightweight than 23.4lbs but thats not bad for a larger frame steel road bike. The px10 feels VERY lightweight when you ride it though and that is what matters here.
Old 09-13-13, 05:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Ski-Patroller
Does anyone know what a 1969 PX10 would have weighed from the factory?
Way back, few bikes weighed their claimed weight, maybe in the smallest size they got close.

A wider capacity freewheel can add weight pretty quickly, a typical clincher rim will be 100 or more grams heavier than the period tubular rim.
The pedals on the bike originally were as you noted lighter. A Cinelli stem was not owned for its light weight, narrow bars, I can keep going.
It all adds up. Most of it really does not matter.
Old 09-13-13, 05:37 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I'm seeing a PX10 with fairly minor and completely reversible modifications.

It's hard to believe that you've owned a number of PX bikes and never encountered a Simplex dropout!

Here's a list of the original parts on my PX10:

The headset

Last edited by Grand Bois; 09-13-13 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 06:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I'm seeing a PX10 with fairly minor and completely reversible modifications.

It's hard to believe that you've owned a number of PX bikes and never encountered a Simplex dropout!

Here's a list of the original parts on my PX10:

The headset
........I've seen Simplex drops, just not like these:

Attached Images
Blue PX-10 003.jpg (98.9 KB, 194 views)
Pepe le Peugeot 003.jpg (92.9 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by 3alarmer; 09-13-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 09:59 PM
niuoka

Bikes: trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sitting here tonight, im glad I came across this thread. As I have been pondering the fate of a px-10 that I found, that is a frankenbike single speed ( because no derailuers, and short chain). But something about that bike, the frame and the frame connections, and the lightness impressed me. Its been for sale for over a month in the rural town I live in. If its still there when I get home, in a week, I think I just might pick it up. It will still be a frankenbike but I have enough old parts to make it a functional 10 speed again
right now its got the oringal frame , white with chrome fork tips and drop outs, the original stem , handlebars, crankset, front brake.
currently has some kind of rear brake set up, aluminum American wheels, forget brand, Kendra tires.
Plus I get a bit of pride fixing old things up.
Old 09-14-13, 06:02 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
........I've seen Simplex drops, just not like these:

The two on the left are the later version. The one on the right appears to have been drilled slightly crookedly for an adjuster. It has the Simplex-only hanger while the later ones are universal.
Old 09-14-13, 06:54 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
My own PX-10 has a white-pearl powder finish, Suntour Superbe Pro derailleurs, Accushift bar-cons, aero levers, Sugino forged cranks and Conti Fat Sprint tubes on low-flange Gyromaster hubs. It works like a modern bike (mostly) but rides a hell of a lot better, with much of the original / decrepit boom era appearance.

I never have to worry about scratching the evil original French paint. I never have to worry about the Simplex mechs breaking and/or launching themselves into the rest of my drivetrain. My pedals are MIJ from MKS, and so are easily rebuildable. The stem is forged (not the original gravity-cast AVA abortion death stem) and the bars are capable of taking abuse, thanks to superior Japan metallurgy.

Originality is fine if you're building a museum piece, but it doesn't work so well when you're trying to stay on the road. Many of the original French parts were excrement. I don't feel bad in the slightest having avoided them.
Old 09-14-13, 07:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsunoke
My own PX-10 has a white-pearl powder finish, Suntour Superbe Pro derailleurs, Accushift bar-cons, aero levers, Sugino forged cranks and Conti Fat Sprint tubes on low-flange Gyromaster hubs. It works like a modern bike (mostly) but rides a hell of a lot better, with much of the original / decrepit boom era appearance.

I never have to worry about scratching the evil original French paint. I never have to worry about the Simplex mechs breaking and/or launching themselves into the rest of my drivetrain. My pedals are MIJ from MKS, and so are easily rebuildable. The stem is forged (not the original gravity-cast AVA abortion death stem) and the bars are capable of taking abuse, thanks to superior Japan metallurgy.

Originality is fine if you're building a museum piece, but it doesn't work so well when you're trying to stay on the road. Many of the original French parts were excrement. I don't feel bad in the slightest having avoided them.
Some of those old french parts were also pretty darn good like the hubs, cranks, headsets, etc. The super lj derailleurs were nice. But leaving aside the editorial comment about french parts, I agree. If you are going to ride a bike, who cares whether it is "original" or "collectible" etc. Don't let the C&V thought police on BF ruin your life.
Old 02-14-21, 11:40 PM
JimPeltier

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So I have a 1976 PX10 that I campaigned in the mid 80's and have kept usable as I aged. I'm now 72 and live in a mountainous region of B.C., Canada.
To that end, over the years I did the following, replaced the Simplex with Campy NR, Brakes with Dia-Compe side pulls, seat with a Selle Itallia Turbo, then with a Specialized Romin, seatpost with alloy, wheels to clincher, then to Fulcrum. Got the frame powdercoated and all new decals from Greg Softley. Added a Wolftooth Road Link and upped the rear cassette to a 9 speed 12-36. Changed out the Stronglight 93 52/42 for a Velo Orange Grand Cru Drillium 50/34 and cartridge BB.
I still have most of the old parts stored away and the frame has not been modified. It's just that its now rideable under all conditions and its pushing 45 years old.
Likes For JimPeltier:
Old 02-15-21, 04:45 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Ski-Patroller
I have a 1969 or 70 PX10 which I have upgraded with Simplex LJ Derailures, Cinneli Stem, New TTT (wider handle bars) and a second (extra) set of clincher wheels (6spd Campy Hubs)

I also had the Stronglight cranks re-threaded to standard threads so I could put Look pedals on.

I wonder if I am ruining the collectibilty of this bike as I improve the rideablility? I also wonder if the Brooks Pro Seat might be worth more than the rest of the bike?

I have had this bike since it was new, but don't ride it much anymore. The Simplex LJ just doesn't compare with Ultegra and Dura Ace
The short answer is yes, upgrading/modifying does negatively impact the value of a vintage road bicycle. However, in the OP's case the only error would be the re-tapping of the pedals. That act cannot be reversed and that is not good. However...

I am a purist "keep it original guy" but I did the pedal threads on my 1973 PX10. I ride my bikes and find the SPD system to be so much better/safer/efficient than rodents in traps...

And, on my 1968 Legnano Grand Premio, and my 1958 Rabeneick, though I did not have to re-tap for these bikes, I do run SPDs and you can bet your life that when the temperature increases a bit (minus 28 degrees with a wind chill = minus38 right now), the old pedals are coming off so that I can run my trusty SPDs...
Old 02-15-21, 05:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The short answer is yes, upgrading/modifying does negatively impact the value of a vintage road bicycle. However, in the OP's case the only error would be the re-tapping of the pedals. That act cannot be reversed and that is not good. However...

I am a purist "keep it original guy" but I did the pedal threads on my 1973 PX10. I ride my bikes and find the SPD system to be so much better/safer/efficient than rodents in traps...

And, on my 1968 Legnano Grand Premio, and my 1958 Rabeneick, though I did not have to re-tap for these bikes, I do run SPDs and you can bet your life that when the temperature increases a bit (minus 28 degrees with a wind chill = minus38 right now), the old pedals are coming off so that I can run my trusty SPDs...

Nice bikes. You do realize Ski Patroller hasn’t posted since ‘05

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-15-21, 05:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by JimPeltier
So I have a 1976 PX10 that I campaigned in the mid 80's and have kept usable as I aged. I'm now 72 and live in a mountainous region of B.C., Canada.
To that end, over the years I did the following, replaced the Simplex with Campy NR, Brakes with Dia-Compe side pulls, seat with a Selle Itallia Turbo, then with a Specialized Romin, seatpost with alloy, wheels to clincher, then to Fulcrum. Got the frame powdercoated and all new decals from Greg Softley. Added a Wolftooth Road Link and upped the rear cassette to a 9 speed 12-36. Changed out the Stronglight 93 52/42 for a Velo Orange Grand Cru Drillium 50/34 and cartridge BB.
I still have most of the old parts stored away and the frame has not been modified. It's just that its now rideable under all conditions and its pushing 45 years old.
Good Morning and welcome to the forums. Sounds like so solids upgrades to make a classic more functional to your needs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-15-21, 06:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by JimPeltier
Very neat. You might want to start your own thread, post some pics, and talk about your mods. I like reconfiguring old bikes to ride in challenging terrain.
Old 02-15-21, 07:06 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice bikes. You do realize Ski Patroller hasn’t posted since ‘05
I, often times miss looking at how old a thread is. In this case - another mistake (sort of) on my part. That said, sometimes a really old thread will be revived for what ever reason, usually by a newbie looking for information. To many hard core Bike Former members, this is the venerable "zombie" thread but not to the new people. Hence, I do try to assist even if my thoughts fall on deaf ears.

I will try to train this old dog about the presence and value of vintage threads in question. Of course, you know what they say about "teaching old dogs new tricks".
Old 02-15-21, 10:57 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Holy cow! This thread is old enough to drive a car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.