Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Taiwanese 80’s Steel Frame??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 03:00 AM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

Looking to see if this bike is Taiwanese??

The frame is bolted to some steel Jaan Chyang Rims and and hubs, Lee Chi brake levers and Shimano 600 Components.

Old 02-19-21, 08:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It could be Taiwanese. That serial number format was used by many Taiwanese manufacturers and would appear to indicate July 1985.

The derailleurs appear to be Shimano Z-series, which was 2 steps below 600. The crankset is is Shimano 600EX which was replaced by Shimano New 600EX in 1984. Low end wheelset with steel rims and three piece, nutted, steel hub (at least on the rear. Steel handlebars. The overall impression, based on the components is entry level, with a replacement crankset.

Yet the frame has some nice features, that I wouldn't expect for the apparent price point and era. It has a nice investment cast seat lug and investment cast rear brake bridge with tangs. Nice bottle bosses too. The rear dropouts appear to be forged but it uses a claw derailleur. The BB shell appears very basic. The workmanship is competent but nothing special. I'd be very interested to know the seat post diameter. It appears to be larger than what you would typically find in hi-tensile frameset.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-19-21, 10:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
No idea what the origin country is. Just wanted to comment that its an interesting frame. The lug geometry number wasnt filed off, yet the brake bridge is quite nice looking and would have required some time to create. As tmar mentioned- good bottle bosses too. Funky.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-19-21, 01:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I wonder if someone cut the hanger off? It does look like decent frame and that for, looks down right nice

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-19-21, 03:29 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It could be Taiwanese. That serial number format was used by many Taiwanese manufacturers and would appear to indicate July 1985.

The derailleurs appear to be Shimano Z-series, which was 2 steps below 600. The crankset is is Shimano 600EX which was replaced by Shimano New 600EX in 1984. Low end wheelset with steel rims and three piece, nutted, steel hub (at least on the rear. Steel handlebars. The overall impression, based on the components is entry level, with a replacement crankset.

Yet the frame has some nice features, that I wouldn't expect for the apparent price point and era. It has a nice investment cast seat lug and investment cast rear brake bridge with tangs. Nice bottle bosses too. The rear dropouts appear to be forged but it uses a claw derailleur. The BB shell appears very basic. The workmanship is competent but nothing special. I'd be very interested to know the seat post diameter. It appears to be larger than what you would typically find in hi-tensile frameset.
Excellent summarisation @T-Mar , you’ve backed up a few of my thoughts. I’d seen a similar BB serial number identified as Taiwanese. Agree that the brake bridge looks to be the standout on this frame.
To be honest I picked it up for under $50 and thought the parts were worth saving. The rims can be used as anchors that I’m certain of, the frame, seems a shame to strip it.
Old 02-19-21, 04:03 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No idea what the origin country is. Just wanted to comment that its an interesting frame. The lug geometry number wasnt filed off, yet the brake bridge is quite nice looking and would have required some time to create. As tmar mentioned- good bottle bosses too. Funky.
I did wonder what the number was.....it seems a little bit big for a geometry measurement??
Old 02-19-21, 05:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Did you check....are the brake bridge and fork drilled for recessed nuts?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-19-21, 05:09 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkinOz
it seems a little bit big for a geometry measurement??
Not at all. Very common to have angles in the 70º range between the top tube and seat tube. My most recent PX-10 find is within 0.5º of that.

Old 02-19-21, 05:43 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by francophile
Not at all. Very common to have angles in the 70º range between the top tube and seat tube. My most recent PX-10 find is within 0.5º of that.
Yep, thanks for pointing me in the right direction francophile wasn’t thinking that it could be an angle rather than a tubing measurement!!
Old 02-19-21, 10:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Yep, thanks for pointing me in the right direction francophile wasn’t thinking that it could be an angle rather than a tubing measurement!!
Lots of lugs come(came) with these numbers and they are just filed off during the frame build.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-23-21, 12:33 AM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Did you check....are the brake bridge and fork drilled for recessed nuts?
Yes, both.
Old 02-23-21, 12:39 AM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by T-Mar

Seat post diameter 25.8 using digital calipers.

Old 02-23-21, 08:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Seat post diameter 25.8 using digital calipers.
That's smaller than it appeared and indicative of a lightweight hi-tensile steel.
Likes For T-Mar: