Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

SGRT west gate access at Atherton in LB and latest LB Mobility Coordinator

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 11-12-20, 11:49 AM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello,

There is a gate that seems to access the west side of SGRT at Atherton, past the 405 overpass. It was locked on Veterans Day, 2020.

I emailed the mobility coordinator for LB about this and learned that Ms Mowery has retired as of Feb 2020.
I then forwarded the email to the T. Cruz official LB address and will see if he knows when and why this gate gets locked.

cheers,
Mark
Old 11-12-20, 12:21 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I know there was some brush eradication going on there about 3 days ago. Not sure if that has anything to do with it one way or the other.
Old 12-01-20, 10:21 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
The SGRT is on the east side of the San Gabriel River at this point. As far as I know, you are only accessing a maintenance road on the east side of the river at this point; locked gates are located at the cross streets. I think homeless use the west side as the access is limited and they are bothered less. You can access the SGRT at Willow St. or at College Park Dr.
Old 12-02-20, 12:11 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Karl,
you are correct, the west side of the river is not the SGRT. I'm interested in the service road at the top of the levy where I have seen joggers enter at College Park Drive, then exit at Atherton. I have since found the gate open at Atherton, allowing to get to the levy trail. From Atherton, the gate goes through a private alley, behind 5-6 homes, then through a nursery, which seems barely active.

I now see that regular use of this west side is not supported, but it is not discouraged. There does not appear to be a trail/road under the 405 overpass, nearby Atherton, where there is barely 5-6 feet of headroom. You could only walk and duck/crawl through.

Last edited by marquhar; 12-02-20 at 12:16 PM.