Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Motor bogging, shuts down

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 10:59 PM
Mtrinh1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Ive just upgrade my controller from a 36v 350w to a 36v 1000w controller. My hub motor is 350w. The motor would run fine but once in awhile makes a bogging noise and shuts down, i just let go of the accelerator real quick and it would go again. Anyone know what the problem would be? Maybe wrong hall connections or phase connections or combo? Or is the 1000w just too much for it?
Old 03-30-21, 01:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Controllers are defined by amps not watts. Probably if it were a hall problem the motor would run roughly or not at all. You might switch back to the old controller and see if the motor runs well again, then you'll know it's something with the new one. It may be the battery is overwhelmed and can't produce enough current, then shuts down.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-30-21, 08:19 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Have you been checking temperatures on the motor, the new controller, or the connectors? Does the new controller have a display where you can see how much more watts or current is being used? Do you have a voltage display? Is it dropping?

I agree with 2old. If battery was matched for a 350W motor, it's probaly too small. If you put this system together yourself and bought a bigger battery, then we're wrong, It needs to supply 25-30A to do 1000W,

Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-30-21, 09:35 AM
Mtrinh1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh i see, its a 36/48v controller but I used to old 36v 8ah battery. The motor does run smooth for a bit then boggs out if i push it too much. The controller and motor does not get hot. The controller does show 10watts but when it bogga out, the numbers would go to like 300-400 then the motor stops. Got a new 48v ordered.

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Have you been checking temperatures on the motor, the new controller, or the connectors? Does the new controller have a display where you can see how much more watts or current is being used? Do you have a voltage display? Is it dropping?

I agree with 2old. If battery was matched for a 350W motor, it's probaly too small. If you put this system together yourself and bought a bigger battery, then we're wrong, It needs to supply 25-30A to do 1000W,

Likes For Mtrinh1:
Old 03-30-21, 02:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
It is not only the voltage of the controller OR the motor OR the battery that matters, but it is the amount of amps the battery can supply. A higher voltage CAN allow a high capacity battery to push more amps through so the motor does not bog but the capacity has to be there $$$. "Got a new 48V ordered ...". A new 48V what? A new 48V battery if it is the same 8ah capacity as the old 36V will have the same problem. My battery is 17.5ah. Even at 36V there will be enough instantaneous watt seconds available to prevent bogging, but mine is a 52V! You've got to pay to play in this game. There is no free lunch.
Old 03-30-21, 02:21 PM
Mtrinh1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It is not only the voltage of the controller OR the motor OR the battery that matters, but it is the amount of amps the battery can supply. A higher voltage CAN allow a high capacity battery to push more amps through so the motor does not bog but the capacity has to be there $$$. "Got a new 48V ordered ...". A new 48V what? A new 48V battery if it is the same 8ah capacity as the old 36V will have the same problem. My battery is 17.5ah. Even at 36V there will be enough instantaneous watt seconds available to prevent bogging, but mine is a 52V! You've got to pay to play in this game. There is no free lunch.

yep i am learning the expensive way how to upgrade these bikes 🤣 I just looked at my order, its a 48v 20ah 30a max, doesnt show continuous amps, might have to return and reorder 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 03-30-21, 03:48 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtrinh1
yep i am learning the expensive way how to upgrade these bikes 🤣 I just looked at my order, its a 48v 20ah 30a max, doesnt show continuous amps, might have to return and reorder 🤦🏻‍♂️
No, that capacity of battery should be fine. If you are still bogging after this you might be expecting too much from your motor. You haven't said anything about how you actually use it. Are you helping much, or at all? Most motors these days are 500W - 1000W for the US market. I'm not sure what a 350W motor even means. What size wheel is this motor in? What brand of motor/ Battery? Anything else you can think of?
Old 03-30-21, 04:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A new 48V battery if it is the same 8ah capacity as the old 36V will have the same problem
The battery capacity in amp hours doesn't really tell you anything about the instantaneous current. A higher voltage battery will supply more power with less amps.

Not sure why you feel the 48v 8 ah battery will bog
Old 03-30-21, 04:53 PM
Mtrinh1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, that capacity of battery should be fine. If you are still bogging after this you might be expecting too much from your motor. You haven't said anything about how you actually use it. Are you helping much, or at all? Most motors these days are 500W - 1000W for the US market. I'm not sure what a 350W motor even means. What size wheel is this motor in? What brand of motor/ Battery? Anything else you can think of?
its the motor on a Jetson bolt pro, just trying to squeeze a bit more speed out of it, nothing crazy. The original battery is a 36v 8ah and controller is 15a 350w. The wheel is 14”