Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record BB?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Campagnolo Record BB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 07:57 AM
Redman87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Campagnolo Record BB?

Im looking to get this, Campagnolo Record Pista / Track 70 mm X 111 mm Italian Thread Bottom Bracket ITA. Is it comparable to the Dura ace 7700 octolink?
Old 04-16-21, 08:25 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Redman87
Im looking to get this, Campagnolo Record Pista / Track 70 mm X 111 mm Italian Thread Bottom Bracket ITA. Is it comparable to the Dura ace 7700 octolink?
From what I've found, the Campy bottom bracket you mention in Italian threading is out of production.
Old 04-16-21, 11:26 AM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah i have found them on ebay. I am very familiar with square taper and that's it. Does the dura ace have an edge in durability or "technology" is what im looking for. As this is the only Italian thread bike i have, so i cant throw it on another bike.

Last edited by Redman87; 04-16-21 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 09:51 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The 7700 needs frequent maintenance, and they're a bit of a pain. 2 sets of very small ball bearings in retainers and 2 sets of very small needle roller bearings in retainers. The only thing the seals keep out is sunlight. The Campy bb is going to be much more durable and virtually maintenance free.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-16-21, 11:08 PM
Redman87

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The 7700 needs frequent maintenance, and they're a bit of a pain. 2 sets of very small ball bearings in retainers and 2 sets of very small needle roller bearings in retainers. The only thing the seals keep out is sunlight. The Campy bb is going to be much more durable and virtually maintenance free.
This is what i was looking for. You basically sold me on this. Now on to see if i read that there is a Ti spindle for it and what that means.
Old 04-17-21, 03:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
A ti spindle is a spindle made from titanium, it will generally be a lot lighter but potentially might lose some stiffness for a heavier or more powerful rider.
Old 04-18-21, 07:30 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I guess we all know the only reason to be discussing the bottom bracket you described...

So I have been happily riding a Record Pista Crankset for many years, myself - in fact long enough that I have gone through several different bottom brackets including a Campy. At another time I'd gladly tell you all about it and the others. But this is now and unless you have some kind of connection or get very lucky you are not likely to find a right Campagnolo bottom bracket, or for that matter any of the many other Italian threaded ISO BBs that used to be pretty widely available.

Here is my expert(?) suggestion - Phil Wood

I am not a person who usually recommends stuff, especially high-end stuff, to any schmoe who asks "What should I buy?" here. But in this case, besides the fact that I love mine, it has been completely maintenance-free, and is holding up way better than any other BB that I've had on this bike with this crank - it is available! And unless you throw in a bunch of extras - it is not much, if any, more costly than the right Campag is nowadays.

Just contact them directly and they may even make one special for you. Good luck - have fun...
Old 11-20-21, 09:32 AM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I guess we all know the only reason to be discussing the bottom bracket you described...

So I have been happily riding a Record Pista Crankset for many years, myself - in fact long enough that I have gone through several different bottom brackets including a Campy. At another time I'd gladly tell you all about it and the others. But this is now and unless you have some kind of connection or get very lucky you are not likely to find a right Campagnolo bottom bracket, or for that matter any of the many other Italian threaded ISO BBs that used to be pretty widely available.

Here is my expert(?) suggestion - Phil Wood

I am not a person who usually recommends stuff, especially high-end stuff, to any schmoe who asks "What should I buy?" here. But in this case, besides the fact that I love mine, it has been completely maintenance-free, and is holding up way better than any other BB that I've had on this bike with this crank - it is available! And unless you throw in a bunch of extras - it is not much, if any, more costly than the right Campag is nowadays.

Just contact them directly and they may even make one special for you. Good luck - have fun...
This is the information I’ve been looking for the past few days. I have a vintage Ciooc frame coming my way from Italy and I just picked up a new Campy Record Pista crankset. Was. Getting pretty discouraged b/c I couldn’t find a Record Pista BB and was getting a little lost thinking about suitable Italian threaded BBs. Stumbled across the Phil Wood BB that you can buy Italian threaded cups for and it seemed like it would work.

The one I was looking at was Phil Wood Stainless Campy BB ISO - 110.5mm. The Pista crankset needs 111mm, so looks like I would be good to go?
Old 11-20-21, 07:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Lostin76
The one I was looking at was Phil Wood Stainless Campy BB ISO - 110.5mm. The Pista crankset needs 111mm, so looks like I would be good to go?
That should be fine. Half a millimeter off in chainline is insignificant, and Phil bottom brackets allow several millimeters of lateral chainline adjustment, so you should be able to get it perfect, anyway.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-21-21, 08:06 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Campy Centaur should get u same chain line, but much cheaper
Old 11-21-21, 10:16 AM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That should be fine. Half a millimeter off in chainline is insignificant, and Phil bottom brackets allow several millimeters of lateral chainline adjustment, so you should be able to get it perfect, anyway.
Great, thank you. The PW seem like a good modern option for me. also looks like they make it easy to adjust the chainline over most BBs.

Originally Posted by ceelint
Campy Centaur should get u same chain line, but much cheaper
I saw that somewhere online too, so adding that to my list. Much cheaper than the Phil Wood option.

Good to know that I have some options.