Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sealed bearing hub question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 06:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

Bike = Wabi Classic, Single Speed

How many miles can I get out of a rear sealed bearing hub? I purchased the bike in August and have about 4000 miles and my drive train is starting to run rough, hearing creaking noise. I thought it was my chain so yesterday I replaced my chain and I also decided to remove the 19t freewheel I wasn’t using. in the process of removing the freewheel the weirdest thing happened my bearing popped out which was really odd so I ran down to my LBS to have them installed again. For the bearings to come out that east I’m wondering if i may have been riding with loose bearings and ruined something or are my bearings shot? The wheels are moving freely but the noises I’m hearing are not normal especially today I started to hear metal on metal sound when my wheel is spinning. Any advice?

btw, I live in SoCal and the bike has never been ridden on wet conditions.
Old 04-18-21, 07:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Really? How about anywhere from minimal (50-100) to tons (thousands and thousands of miles). I have some hubs that originally came on my Bianchi Pista nearly 20 years ago. $550.00 msrp bike nearly 20 years ago. The rims sucked but the hubs were so damn good that I cut them out and rebuilt them w/ some NOS Mavic 280/320 tubular rims. I used them for training on the track, training on the road...In all that time I've never replaced the bearings. They're as smooth as the day I built that bike.

If the bearing fell out that easily I doubt you'll have get very good life out of any bearing. It has as much if not more to do w/ the quality of the hub construction (accurate bearing bores) as it does w/ the quality of the bearings. It sounds like your bearings are shot. All you can do is replace the bearings or get new hubs/wheels.
Old 04-18-21, 07:35 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Really? How about anywhere from minimal (50-100) to tons (thousands and thousands of miles). I have some hubs that originally came on my Bianchi Pista nearly 20 years ago. $550.00 msrp bike nearly 20 years ago. The rims sucked but the hubs were so damn good that I cut them out and rebuilt them w/ some NOS Mavic 280/320 tubular rims. I used them for training on the track, training on the road...In all that time I've never replaced the bearings. They're as smooth as the day I built that bike.

If the bearing fell out that easily I doubt you'll have get very good life out of any bearing. It has as much if not more to do w/ the quality of the hub construction (accurate bearing bores) as it does w/ the quality of the bearings. It sounds like your bearings are shot. All you can do is replace the bearings or get new hubs/wheels.
could it be the company who put together the wheels didn’t properly install them or doesn’t know what he’s doing? They sent one other bike that I returned and I remember when I took the wheels out of the box the bearings on those wheels were not even in the hub, they were sitting in the box. Thats one of the reasons why I returned that bike. I’m also surprised the bearings would be out so quick. I have been considering getting new wheels. Any recommendations on wheels and hub type?
Old 04-18-21, 07:40 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by jay4usc
could it be the company who put together the wheels didn’t properly install them or doesn’t know what he’s doing? They sent one other bike that I returned and I remember when I took the wheels out of the box the bearings on those wheels were not even in the hub, they were sitting in the box. Thats one of the reasons why I returned that bike. I’m also surprised the bearings would be out so quick. I have been considering getting new wheels. Any recommendations on wheels and hub type?
That question is wayyyyy too open ended. No way anyone can answer it unless we know more about what you want, how/where you ride, what's your budget...?
ETA: Tubes or tubeless? 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 speed? Carbon or not?
ETA: Ah...single speed. Forget about the bold bit.

Last edited by cxwrench; 04-18-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 07:45 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

That question is wayyyyy too open ended. No way anyone can answer it unless we know more about what you want, how/where you ride, what's your budget...?
ETA: Tubes or tubeless? 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 speed? Shimano? SRAM? Carbon or not?

my bike is a single speed. Use tubes and I ride the bike for cardio exercise. I ride about 35 miles three times a week. I ride on mostly flat paved road on the riverbed. I live in SoCal so it’s all dry condition. Budget $400-$500

Last edited by jay4usc; 04-18-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 07:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
why not just replace the sealed bearing cartridge? The fitment should not vary very much, if at all. I think the front & rear even share the same size.
Old 04-18-21, 07:54 PM
cxwrench

As much as I hate Mavic road and mtn wheels their Ellipse track/fixed wheelset is hard to beat.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-18-21, 08:14 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Troul
why not just replace the sealed bearing cartridge? The fitment should not vary very much, if at all. I think the front & rear even share the same size.
i will bring it to LBS tomorrow to confirm that’s the problem and have them replaced.

I have been thinking of replacing them anyways to get wider wheels. The inner width on these are 12.5 and I run 28 tires. Plus i don’t want to be replacing the bearings every 6 months.
Old 04-18-21, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The first thing I thought is what was the chain tension like during the 4000 miles of use? Any tension is the wrong answer Hubs, freewheels (if single speed) and BBs don't like getting loaded by a chain that runs tight. So many drivetrains have slightly non round (cost is not always the guaranty of perfect roundness) rings, spiders and cogs. The correct way to set the chain slop/wheel in drop out location is when at the tightest point of the system in movement the chain is still relaxed. Any more tension that that is bad and will lead to premature bearing wear. I suspect this is what happened but I'm not there or did the maintenance on this bike during those many miles so... Andy
Old 04-18-21, 08:47 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The first thing I thought is what was the chain tension like during the 4000 miles of use? Any tension is the wrong answer Hubs, freewheels (if single speed) and BBs don't like getting loaded by a chain that runs tight. So many drivetrains have slightly non round (cost is not always the guaranty of perfect roundness) rings, spiders and cogs. The correct way to set the chain slop/wheel in drop out location is when at the tightest point of the system in movement the chain is still relaxed. Any more tension that that is bad and will lead to premature bearing wear. I suspect this is what happened but I'm not there or did the maintenance on this bike during those many miles so... Andy
I’m certain that’s not the cause. I have plenty of slack on my chain, never run right. I usually leave about 1inch slack at it’s tightest spot. I do all my maintenance on my bike which is minimal in exception of the chain. I clean and re wax the chain after every 100 miles.

Last edited by jay4usc; 04-18-21 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 09:02 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Troul
The bearing(s) fell out of his hub. What makes you think new ones will fit any better?
Old 04-18-21, 10:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
I’m certain that’s not the cause. I have plenty of slack on my chain, never run right. I usually leave about 1inch slack at it’s tightest spot. I do all my maintenance on my bike which is minimal in exception of the chain. I clean and re wax the chain after every 100 miles.
Good, then my thoughts don't apply. Andy
Old 04-19-21, 04:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
The bearing(s) fell out of his hub. What makes you think new ones will fit any better?
QA might be better with aftermarket ones than the ones flopping out of in there now.