Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 06:35 AM
DIYsteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Old Post by me:

Well my first introduction into electric anything will be the Bidwell bike pusher. I have these rare detailed plans and after reading them I will try to bring it up to date from 2003 to 2012. I would say the only difference would be the motor and electronics and some minor tweaks here and there.

I will post more as I progress with the build.

Anyone else out there do a Bidwell pusher?

P.S. The picture below is what the pusher is to look like from the plans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pusher1.jpg (89.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-25-12, 06:36 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Well I now join the ranks of the electric powered world. I have just completed and tested the newly improved 2012 Bidwell bike pusher. A lot has changed since that model came out in 2003 - 2006 and bringing up to date was a bit of a challenge but I did it. All I can say is what a fun fun fun way to ride the wind!

The old was a 24v 400w configuration and I took it to 36v with a 600watt motor. Was told that it was outputing around 900watts in the 36v config. Incredible low end torque and top end speed. I mount the batteries in a battery box on top of a plywood top that also carries some of the weight of the motor. In the picture I am charging the batteries so they are not there but I will get a pic of when I am on the road.

Now my drive testing isn't complete....I live in flat lands Florida and need to see what some hills do to this puppy! But from what I can tell it does have the power to deliver.

I know the picture are hard to tell because I painted everything black but I will take some better pictures when I have everything hooked up and ready to go!
Attached Images
1copy.jpg (92.2 KB, 97 views)
2.jpg (64.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-25-12, 06:37 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Ok so I have been riding the wind now for a couple of weeks with the newly designed pusher and I must say it is a bunch of fun!

I went with the Currie throttle and controller which I think was bit overkill on the protective circuitry but if you don't beat on the pusher it performs.

I am 250lbs and it has no problems pushing me! I have rode up 20-30deg hills from a dead stop and no problem with the low end torque getting me up the hill.

So far the only time I had the over protected Currie controller kicks in is when I am in full throttle (speedometer on order) and running open for 30sec when "cut". My guess is that I am between 25mph and 30mph when I have to unplug the battery connector and then re-attach and I am back off and going. A bit of a pain but I understand that it will increase the longevity of the motor. It also kicks in when I gun it at from a dead stop to full throttle and it will also cut on me.

I do have another controller here but I am sure that this is common with this manufacture.

Other than that it is so much fun....
Old 05-25-12, 06:44 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok max speed results are in with the arrival of the speedometer. 25mph! Which is perfect. A 15t front sprocket and a 90t rear seems to be good enough for me. Next will be the max distance travel with 3 - 12ah batteries on flat pavement and then onto hills...
Old 05-25-12, 06:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
do you have any build pics? Looks really good
Old 05-26-12, 06:09 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks unterhausen...build pics...no...I get so involved I don't get into taking video or pics when I build... It is all in the mind that I need to put down on paper! ;-) I am handy but never worked with metal piping before..Pretty straight forward...pipe bender, drill press etc. The plans that I bought called for parts that don't exist anymore that were off of a all ready existing scooter so what I did was re-engineer with cheaper and available parts with new power plant and electronics. I would say if you have the time to build this pusher it would end up costing a bit cheaper than the Ridekick but of course an upgrade to a 36v and 900watt configuration which is way better in my opinion!
Old 06-03-12, 06:21 PM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok..here is the fully decked out electric ride...Everything is module. I can remove the basket off the front when not carrying the dog and also the carrying crate with the cooler in it and the whole crate mount also off the pusher. So depending on what and where I ride a fully versatile machine!!

Now I am ready for my ventures! Off I go to ride the wind!

Attached Images
SSPX0195.jpg (92.9 KB, 143 views)
SSPX0190.jpg (95.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-04-12, 03:35 AM
gjuro

Bikes: Just a regular cheap bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not very excited about your electric bike project, but if it works for you then go ahead! I wish you the best...
Old 06-04-12, 05:16 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gjuro...I like having the ability of losing all electric and returning to a normal bike sometimes but it does the job I need it to do and serves it's purpose and for the price that is totally affordable and did I say fun fun fun!
Old 09-06-12, 12:00 PM
n609mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool project. I am interested in putting a low power electric motor on a burly/chariot kids trailer. The only time I need any extra help pedaling is when I am towing the kids and frankly I don't need a lot of help. I like that my wife or I could transfer the trailer to our own bikes. Any opinion on the adaptability to an existing kid trailer?
Thanks, Mike
Old 09-06-12, 01:00 PM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work...if pushing you andkids you are going to need some horsepower with the setup but with some diy engineeringit can be done.
Old 02-03-13, 11:46 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone…just an update: I am having so much fun with this pusher! Now that I have the correct balance between electronics, battery and motor I am riding the wind! The weather is great here in Tampa and have been riding the bike trails with my dog in the front basket also enjoying the ride!
Old 02-03-13, 10:14 PM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
the weather better be good , because in the rain I am not sure ho it is going to hold -

no rain proof at all. to much exposed to elements.
Old 02-04-13, 07:24 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point the bike south and ride into better weather!
Old 03-11-15, 04:24 PM
wowpainting1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi DYIsteve. I've been trying to get a set of plans 4-the bidwell. any idea how i wouls get a set when i ordered
it was to late were out of print?? I live about 5 miles from work and it would be perfect for the ride..
hopint to hear from you thnx
william
Old 04-28-17, 09:26 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...it's 2017 and my bike pusher is still going strong! Haven't been around the forums awhile but just checking in. I have just upgraded the SLA batteries to 3 12v 35ah now and with the new crazy powerful controller gives me decent ride times of an hour going all out on it. Anyone else making any strides to this world of electric rides?
Old 04-28-17, 09:29 AM
Rusteeze

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the funniest gimmick I have ever seen! But if it works...
Old 04-28-17, 09:34 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rusteeze...I couldn't believe it either but it does what it does surprisingly and a ton of fun!
Old 03-31-21, 05:54 PM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keeping the thread alive with a 2021 update: After 9 years and my bike pusher is STILL going strong! Haven't been around the forums awhile but just checking in. Since 2017 I still using those upgraded the SLA batteries 3-12v 35ah being sure to top them off from time to time and so far I have been having so much fun. Back in 2012...what laws! Now I see laws popping up with Classes and power bla bla bla. I love what 10 years has done to this Ebike industry very cool tech but with that comes those hefty prices! Sure my creation isn't for off roading, built for cruising and a bit clunky but to get from here to there, no pedaling and way cheaper/powerful than any crappy new ebike is why I still love using this thing!
Old 03-31-21, 09:37 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Thanks for the update. Come back with a report in another 10 years.
Old 04-01-21, 01:54 PM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Thanks for the update. Come back with a report in another 10 years.

Another 10 years?....Back to the Future quote: “Roads? Where We’re Going, We Don’t Need Roads.”

Old 04-04-21, 09:19 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYsteve
Keeping the thread alive with a 2021 update: After 9 years and my bike pusher is STILL going strong! Haven't been around the forums awhile but just checking in. Since 2017 I still using those upgraded the SLA batteries 3-12v 35ah being sure to top them off from time to time and so far I have been having so much fun. Back in 2012...what laws! Now I see laws popping up with Classes and power bla bla bla. I love what 10 years has done to this Ebike industry very cool tech but with that comes those hefty prices! Sure my creation isn't for off roading, built for cruising and a bit clunky but to get from here to there, no pedaling and way cheaper/powerful than any crappy new ebike is why I still love using this thing!
I think your device isn't a bicycle so technically isn't covered by any laws.

Does it upset the balance of the bike at all, say when pushing in turn?
Old 04-04-21, 10:25 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello PnW...I treat it like a ebike just so the fuzz don't give me any problemos. I also just put on my Class 2 750w 20mph sticker just in case... It does not upset the balance of the bike when pushing in a turn.

I had fun this weekend cruising around town getting my Redbox movies and every time I take the bike out I always have people say: "Hey that's cool", "Is that electric?", "How fast can you go?", "Where did you buy it?", "You built it?", "How much would it cost for you to build one for me?", "How far can you go?" are the most asked.
Old 04-05-21, 05:10 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYsteve
I also just put on my Class 2 750w 20mph sticker just in case...
Never heard of such a sticker. Is that something specific to where you live? Where did you get that?

I can see the advantage of being able to take the trailer off and reverting to a regular bike
Old 04-05-21, 08:03 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Never heard of such a sticker. Is that something specific to where you live? Where did you get that?

I can see the advantage of being able to take the trailer off and reverting to a regular bike
-----------------------
I am in Florida...Here is a copy of an article:

A new law regulating e-bikes, or electric bicycles, was signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis that, among other things, allows local governments to restrict their use and does not include a minimum age to ride one.

HB 971 creates three classes of battery-powered e-bicycles, similar to laws adopted in 22 other states.

Class 1 e-bikes are equipped with a motor that provides assistance when pedaling and ceases to provide that assistance with the bike reaches 20 mph.

Class 2 are e-bicycles equipped with throttle-assisted motors that can assist without pedaling and cease to assist when the e-bike reaches 20 mph.

Class 3 e-bicycles provide assistance only when the rider is pedaling and cease to provide that assistance when the bike reaches 28 mph.

An e-bike is considered a vehicle to the same extent as a bicycle, and the new law authorizes an e-bike to operate where bicycles are allowed, including on streets, highways, roadways, shoulders, bicycle lanes and multi-use paths.

But local governments may regulate or further restrict the operation of e-bicycles on those same roadways, sidewalks and trail networks.

E-bikes are not subject to provisions of law relating to financial responsibility, licensing, vehicle registration and title certificates.

The new law also requires an e-bike to function so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the rider stops pedaling or when the brakes are applied.

Modifying the motor-powered speed capability is prohibited, unless it’s upgraded and has a proper classification label.

Manufacturers and distributors of e-bikes must apply a label affixed to each e-bike by Jan. 1, containing the classification number, top assisted speed and motor wattage of the e-bike.

The bill removes a registration fee requirement for motorized bicycles, and does not restrict the operation of an e-bike to a specified age.

Example of the types of stickers:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.