Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Deciding Between These 4 Bikes: Cannondale, Giant, Specialized or Trek

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Deciding Between These 4 Bikes: Cannondale, Giant, Specialized or Trek

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 04:17 AM
iim7v7im7

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I honestly was much more focused on fit, feel and function.

Cannondale = black with like blue decoration
Giant = white with red and black decoration
Specialized = charcoal with gray decoration
Trek = white with black decoration

They all are beautifully designed. I suppose some might looks dirty faster...:-)
Old 07-06-13, 06:42 AM
mdelrossi

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek Domane 2.0 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at the Felt Z series and the Scott cr1 (I believe)
I have the Domane 2.0 and the Felt Z5. The Felt is smoother and the power transfer feels better.

I will add that a Tiagra group will do just fine unless you are racing.
I'd get the lowest cost bike in the same frame series and upgrade the wheels and saddle
just my thoughts.
Old 07-06-13, 06:49 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had been looking at the endurance category as well and reviews are saying the carbon Trek does have a noticeably large amount of rear compliance. The frame is not marketing BS, it supposedly works really well.

Someone on a forum wrote a review of riding 16 miles on torn up grated road that was waiting to be repaved on his carbon Domane. You can also see video of how must the seatpost flexes. I sort of doubt the other bikes are as comfortable since they can't possibly flex as much. I could easily be wrong but I am sold on the Domane's marketing hype. Since the frame is the most expensive part on a bike, I would invest in the frame most. That said I hear good things about titanium frames but they seem to not lay power down as well as the stiffer carbon frames, but no one has actually done a comparison between a Domane and a ti bike that I can find.

Last edited by ttakata73; 07-06-13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-06-13, 07:16 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I would honestly buy the Trek Domane out of that list. The one I rode just had a great ride and was still fast and nimble.
Old 07-06-13, 07:21 AM
iim7v7im7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will likely be down to these two because...

Well I have a fitting appointment at the Cannondale / Giant LBS today. I think it will come down to them because they have the bikes in my size in inventory. The other LBS had similar models for me to try (but not the actual bikes) and would have to order the bike. It is also unclear that my frame size is available. I suppose that it is an awkward time in the season to buy a bike between the '013 and'014 seasons. I think having the actual bike to try and be fit on before committing to a purchase is the driver. So it will either be a Synapse or a Defy. Perhaps the fitter will see something different in the frame geometry when I am fit?
Old 07-06-13, 08:17 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ttakata73
I had been looking at the endurance category as well and reviews are saying the carbon Trek does have a noticeably large amount of rear compliance. The frame is not marketing BS, it supposedly works really well.

Someone on a forum wrote a review of riding 16 miles on torn up grated road that was waiting to be repaved on his carbon Domane. You can also see video of how must the seatpost flexes. I sort of doubt the other bikes are as comfortable since they can't possibly flex as much. I could easily be wrong but I am sold on the Domane's marketing hype. Since the frame is the most expensive part on a bike, I would invest in the frame most. That said I hear good things about titanium frames but they seem to not lay power down as well as the stiffer carbon frames, but no one has actually done a comparison between a Domane and a ti bike that I can find.
The Roubaix has a similar (possibly more) flex. The flex design of the Roubiax is integrated into upper portion of the rear triangle.
Old 07-06-13, 01:04 PM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Test rode the Roubaix one level up from your list and the Domane 4.5. They were very comparable, so I ended up with the Trek since the bike shop 'couldn't find' the Robaix I wanted but had the level up at ~$3400. Paid $2330 for the Domane and haven't looked back, even if it didn't give me the ability to look down at others.
Old 07-06-13, 01:22 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a very personal preference. I tested a Domane and Roubaix, both full Ultegra. I liked the isodecoupler thingie on the Domane but it felt twitchy. I liked the Roubaix much better. But you could end up making your own call.
Old 07-06-13, 01:57 PM
iim7v7im7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, one bike followed me home...

I really have to compliment my LBS in the rigor of their fitting process. After looking at some of my body measurements we looked at both a Defy and a Synapse (and I took a short ride). I simply felt more at home on the Defy. They had two frame sizes and I ended up being better on the Large frame and not the XL frame.

I am 6'-2-1/2" but my height is in my legs and not my torso. So the top tube length on the L was better once the Saddle was adjusted back and the correct stem and stem angle was found. They also put a set of 15 degree shims in my shoes. I ended up putting 105 pedals on instead of the Ultegra. The change in comfort based on the shoe shims, seat post, saddle, stem length and stem angle was amazing!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Old 07-06-13, 05:06 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
congratulations and enjoy.
Old 07-06-13, 05:17 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
told ya so....very nice...hope you got a discount off MSRP
Old 07-06-13, 06:56 PM
iim7v7im7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
told ya so....very nice...hope you got a discount off MSRP
I did just fine...:-)
Old 07-07-13, 01:16 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Luckily I read through the whole thread before making this comment. But all four are fine bikes - no matter what anyone said above, they're all very equivalent in quality. YOu did exactly what you should have done, bought the one YOU liked best. Don't hesitate to put the 28mm tires on that Giant if you want to. They fit easily. The Defy is a very nice frame design, and a great value for the price point.
Old 07-07-13, 01:46 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
All four are fine bikes, but wrt brands.... you generally get more value per $ with Giant, and pay a premium to purchase the Specialized brand name. But you bought the bike that fit best, which is the recommended way to choose. Great looking bike!
Old 07-07-13, 04:57 AM
iim7v7im7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end...

Originally Posted by a1penguin
All four are fine bikes, but wrt brands.... you generally get more value per $ with Giant, and pay a premium to purchase the Specialized brand name. But you bought the bike that fit best, which is the recommended way to choose. Great looking bike!
I chose an LBS just as much as the bike itself. They had an approach that was more comprehensive and the time they took to fit the bike was heads and tails above the other 3 LBS that I visited. They also had the inventory to sit on and ride which at this point in the season an be tough. Because honestly, all are great bikes and fairly equivalent if fitted properly. In the end fit was the deciding factor.
Old 07-07-13, 05:30 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
awwww. A happy ending.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-07-13, 08:03 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamster
All I can say is that I wouldn't pay $2500 for a bike with any Tiagra parts.
Although this seems to be more common.
Old 07-07-13, 08:05 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoadMike
+1

The Giant looks like it has the best spec for your dollar. that KMC chain is an excellent chain, and I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between a 105 and Ultegra cassette without a scale, and if you can, you can just get one when you wear out the 105 cassette.
+2. mine too. Giant manufactures some awesome frames.
Old 07-07-13, 08:11 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7
I really have to compliment my LBS in the rigor of their fitting process. After looking at some of my body measurements we looked at both a Defy and a Synapse (and I took a short ride). I simply felt more at home on the Defy. They had two frame sizes and I ended up being better on the Large frame and not the XL frame.

I am 6'-2-1/2" but my height is in my legs and not my torso. So the top tube length on the L was better once the Saddle was adjusted back and the correct stem and stem angle was found. They also put a set of 15 degree shims in my shoes. I ended up putting 105 pedals on instead of the Ultegra. The change in comfort based on the shoe shims, seat post, saddle, stem length and stem angle was amazing!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

that's a really nice looking Giant!! ride it in good health and wear it out!!
Old 07-07-13, 09:50 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. I'm currently evaluating a Scott CR1, Domaine, Defy Advanced and Roubaix....doing test rides this week. (one of the LBS is trying to throw a BMC in the mix...way over my budget.) Not having ridden them yet, based purely on specs and reviews, all are good bikes (though I most often hear the Scott is the harshest of the rides) but the Giant comes out near the top. You made a great choice...I may be joining you soon!