Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trying to get into road cycling, but my bike maybe TOO MUCH bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 08:07 PM
p00kienrayray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Yall,

I'm a MTB'r wanting to get into road. My brother left me his S-Works Tarmac superbike as a gift when he left for the military. It's a beautiful ride, but I don't think I ride aggressively enough for it. It's pretty much 80-90% carbon, has a one-peice stem/bar combo (not very adjustable), carbon wheels, 25mm tires, and some fancy doo-dads like electronic shifting that is overkill for me.

On the riverbeds and bike paths, this bike is fine. On the climbs, the stiffness and lightweight is actually fun. But on city streets, I ABSOLUTELY HATE it. It's way stiff with no vibration dampening at all. Also it's not practical to commute in.

I want to sell it for something more comfortable for commute, yet capable of doing 50-75 miles on the local bike paths. But friends keep talking me out of it bc it's such a high end bike. Are there any adjustments or upgrades (or downgrades) I can do to make this bike more friendly? I'm not a crit racer, I just wanna keep my pedals up while not on the trail
Old 01-14-18, 09:51 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lower tire pressure. Maybe one of those flexing seat posts? I’d just ride it and HTFU. Your friends are right
Old 01-14-18, 10:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Agree.

Put the fattest tires you can fit on it, and run the tire pressure as low as you can get away with, and it will increase the comfort a lot.

Or just buy a commuting bike if you would be more comfortable with it, but keep the other bike.
Old 01-14-18, 10:17 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why just one?

Right this isn't a commute bike.
Originally Posted by wgscott
Agree.

Put the fattest tires you can fit on it, and run the tire pressure as low as you can get away with, and it will increase the comfort a lot.

Or just buy a commuting bike if you would be more comfortable with it, but keep the other bike.
Old 01-14-18, 10:23 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
You know your brother will return eventually, right?

I'd be PO'd if my family sold my tarmac.
Old 01-14-18, 10:27 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Those are nice race bikes but it might not be comfortable if it's not the right size for you...
Old 01-14-18, 10:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Get a commuter bike but keep the Tarmac.

You could kick yourself for selling it if you get the road bug later.
Old 01-15-18, 12:04 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Right this isn't a commute bike.
Some say a Tarmac makes a fine commuter.

Any bike you ride to work and back is a commute bike. It just may not be the right bike for the OP's commute.
Old 01-15-18, 02:48 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd commute on it!

Anyway, like others stated, don't sell the bike, ever. Evergreen if you don't like it, you can give it back to your brother when he returns. Get a different bike to commute on if you want, and use the S-Works for fun. You might end up changing your mind about it not being fit for commuting.
Old 01-15-18, 08:02 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
You could probably mount 28mm tires on it and run them at lower pressure.

No one here is going to advocate downgrading.
Old 01-15-18, 08:09 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, you haven't mentioned size...it my not fit.

Also, I agree about looking into a flexy, seatpost. You can also likely replace the bars with a traditional stem/bar combo, to raise the bars a little.

That said...you may just not like the bike. I have a bike club buddy who used to race, and has a dura-ace decked out Tarmac that he does really like. Just recently switched from 23 to 26mm tires for more comfort, and likes it much better...but said he was thinking about getting a Domane (trek endurance bike with some built in suspension points) now that his age is advancing...
Old 01-15-18, 08:37 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Your body is a shock absorber. Get out of the seat over the big bumps and let your arms and legs absorb them. I ride a stiff road bike 100 miles per week on city streets that way. Easy peasy.

You can get a good commuter bike for around $500 new. Or you can commute on a mountain bike if bumps really bug you.
Old 01-15-18, 10:07 AM
Elvir

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is one hell of a bike to get rid of. You will certainly not get money for what the bike originally costs. I say, either ride it and HDFU or get a easier daily bike until you do HDFU.
Old 01-15-18, 10:13 AM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Keep the Tarmac and buy a cheaper, less aggressive bike for commuting. Better way to ease into road cycling from MTB.

I could easily commute on that Tarmac now, but I have many thousands of miles on stiff, race-geometry bikes. I didn't start out road cycling that way, however.

Plus, if your commuter bike gets stolen, not as big of a heartbreak!
Old 01-15-18, 10:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
LoLing at the people who tell him to let air out of his tires or get a suspension seatpost. Why not put a mountain bike fork on it and a sheepskin seat cover? Lauf Grit?

Might like it some day, could be a great bike later on, maybe, hopefully, possibly... Bah. If it isn't the right bike then get rid of it. Let someone else enjoy it the way it was designed.

Sell it and build up a nice Niner RLT 9 steel or similar with some rack and fender mounts for commuting. That's my advice.

-Tim-
Old 01-15-18, 11:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
"Someone gave with this amazing, perfect diamond. Should I sell it at a huge loss and buy a cubic zirconium?"

Some folks would take your Tarmac and laugh. I would recommend buying a commuter bike and learning to ride the tarmac as it is designed to be ridden: quickly, over smooth roads.

As you gain strength, the tarmac will hurt less, but it will never handle urban commuting Well. Your Lamborghini Gallardo might be able to get down a dirt road ..... But for weekend sport rides, where you plan to work hard for the entire length of the ride, the Tarmac will make you smile widely.

If you sell it and buy another bike, you will eventually learn what it is you sold so cheaply and will hate yourself.

That said ... you can buy a stem for about $16 on EBay. Bars, maybe twice that. That way you wouldn't have to ride bent all the way over.

However .... other than that I would not invest a penny in the Tarmac. It is the wrong tool for the job---but again, if someone gives you a solid-gold, diamond-encrusted saw, you don't sell it for pennies on the dollar ... you keep it, and save up for a steel saw.

As people here have noted you can get a decent commuter bike for $500 and very good bike for $1000 .... bikes with endurance geometry, rack mounts, designed to flex more. if you know enough about bikes to buy used .... you can get three or five good commuter bikes for $1000.

if someone gives you a painting by Leonardo Da Vinci, you don't sell it because it doesn't match the decor.

Here's a thought---obviously your brother cares about you, and obviously he cares about cycling. Ask his advice.

If it was me, and I came back from Afghanistan and found you had sold my S-Works for pennies on the dollar .... well, you had best already have left town. But in any case, he might be able to advise you.
Old 01-15-18, 11:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by mcours2006
You could probably mount 28mm tires on it and run them at lower pressure.

No one here is going to advocate downgrading.
Maybe. Maybe not. Here the clearance at the rear brake on my Tarmac with 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance. Those Michelins run larger than their label size so possibly a true 28 could just squeeze in there without rubbing.

The Republic of Offthebackistan
Old 01-15-18, 11:03 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by p00kienrayray
I want to sell it for something more comfortable for commute, yet capable of doing 50-75 miles on the local bike paths. But friends keep talking me out of it bc it's such a high end bike. Are there any adjustments or upgrades (or downgrades) I can do to make this bike more friendly? I'm not a crit racer, I just wanna keep my pedals up while not on the trail
I think you could get it setup to be a more comfortable bike, and I would disagree that it's because it's "such a high end bike". Tire selection can play a huge role in comfort. I'm willing to bet you could put a set of 28's on there and it'd help a lot. Also, I have found that switching to tubeless (if you're wheels are TL ready) also helps a lot. Also, if you're going to commute on it, perhaps a proper fit and setting it up for a slightly more relaxed ride. More rise in the stem, shorter stem, etc. If you're using the saddle that came with the bike, that may be another issue. Everyone is different, so a better saddle could really affect the comfort.

I'm currently riding an Allez Sprint, which is by far the stiffest frame I've ever ridden, and I'd be perfectly comfortable commuting on it. I am running 25c tubeless at 90-95psi with a Brooks C15 saddle and carbon bars. Nearly as comfortable over rough roads as my last two carbon bikes and no loss in performance.
Old 01-15-18, 11:59 AM
p00kienrayray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I think what I'm gonna do is probably look at fitting wider possibly tubeless tires. Partially for comfort but mainly bc on my commute, I've gotten so many flats. Then I'll try a new saddle. It has the barmac on it, I think I'll just keep it on there but probably get some extra thick soft bartape.

I'll start looking for a cheap commuter eventually. I can definitely see where this bike shines. Just wanna make sure I ride it more and not have it be that sports car in the garage that never gets driven.

Btw my lil brother wants me to keep it but says he understands if it isn't the right bike for me. And apologies for posting a help question in the in the intro section!
Old 01-15-18, 12:06 PM
p00kienrayray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Some say a Tarmac makes a fine commuter.

Any bike you ride to work and back is a commute bike. It just may not be the right bike for the OP's commute.
Nice! Although I would never leave locked to a bike rack.
Old 01-15-18, 12:23 PM
p00kienrayray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the bike would fit 28s. 25s is on there now and it's a tight fit. And wheels are not tubeless compatible.
Attached Images
Old 01-15-18, 12:46 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by p00kienrayray
Nice! Although I would never leave locked to a bike rack.
Normally, I wouldn't either, but it's a keycard only cage in a keycard only garage.
Old 01-15-18, 12:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Just a few upgrades will make that Tarmac a nice comfy commuter.

Old 01-15-18, 01:30 PM
p00kienrayray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Just a few upgrades will make that Tarmac a nice comfy commuter.
Lol
Old 01-15-18, 05:16 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Have your brother buy himself another bike and give that to you, too?