Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Save 100g, will it help better performance?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Save 100g, will it help better performance?

Old 05-30-18, 07:43 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
As a one-time thing, saving 100g is pretty meaningless. As a part of a whole-bike diet, saving 100g on one component is a nice start.
This.
Old 05-30-18, 07:45 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
"You're worth it."

So, go ahead.
Old 05-30-18, 08:40 AM
Elvir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
let me put this into perspective. I used to fall for all the gimics of watts saving and gram saving. Somehow, I ride with people who have $12K bikes and they are no better then me. It took me a while to figure out why.

here is couple key points.

-NOBODY trains to their 100% capacity and they should not. Its bad for you. You always want to leave some reserves in your tank so you can recover faster.
-Companies that say you will be so and so faster with a lighter set of wheels/ or more aero wheels or any other bike part using testing.
-That assumption means that if you race, for example you and another rider are going to use 400watts to complete the race. That means the person with lighter bike will be faster.
-In reality, if the person riding a lighter bike pedals at 400watts, you will pedal at 410watts to match their speed. Is that bad? ONLY if the race that you are doing is: 1. NON STOP. 2. Riding till you cannot ride anymore, which brings me to the first point. You should always train to be able to complete any ride with out giving your 100%.

I broke my light carbon aero wheel and have been riding on my stock heavier wheels for the past 2 months now, yet somehow I am always up front riding hard and in fact my times have improved. I may work harder than another person but that does not mean that I will lose or be more fatigued, just that I am training hard enough to match what the ride requires.
Old 05-30-18, 08:59 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvir
let me put this into perspective. I used to fall for all the gimics of watts saving and gram saving. Somehow, I ride with people who have $12K bikes and they are no better then me. It took me a while to figure out why.

-NOBODY trains to their 100% capacity and they should not. Its bad for you. You always want to leave some reserves in your tank so you can recover faster.
-Companies that say you will be so and so faster with a lighter set of wheels/ or more aero wheels or any other bike part using testing.
-That assumption means that if you race, for example you and another rider are going to use 400watts to complete the race. That means the person with lighter bike will be faster.
-In reality, if the person riding a lighter bike pedals at 400watts, you will pedal at 410watts to match their speed. Is that bad? ONLY if the race that you are doing is: 1. NON STOP. 2. Riding till you cannot ride anymore, which brings me to the first point. You should always train to be able to complete any ride with out giving your 100%.

I broke my light carbon aero wheel and have been riding on my stock heavier wheels for the past 2 months now, yet somehow I am always up front riding hard and in fact my times have improved. I may work harder than another person but that does not mean that I will lose or be more fatigued, just that I am training hard enough to match what the ride requires.
There is finally somebody else here that knows what they're talking about.
Old 05-30-18, 09:44 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Define 100% capacity. How sore and tired can I be until it's bad for me?
Old 05-30-18, 11:12 AM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
Define 100% capacity. How sore and tired can I be until it's bad for me?
100% capacity is you go beyond your limit. You are cramped up cant move, cant walk..total overkill. An example would be trying to keep "20mph" average and the only way to do it, is to keep jumping out of the saddle, just so that you loose your speed 2 seconds later because your legs cannot sustain the intensity anymore. If you ride one day at any pace, and you cannot sustain that pace the next day, to me that is overtraining.

I hardly ever train to the point that leaves me sore that my legs shiver the next morning going down stairs. I feel the typical soreness that I would expect from a hard exercise, but since everyday is leg day, I limit the duration of my intensity. I still train hard, I just cover less miles. I get good sleep and stretch as much as needed.
Old 05-30-18, 11:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
100% capacity is you go beyond your limit. You are cramped up cant move, cant walk..total overkill. An example would be trying to keep "20mph" average and the only way to do it, is to keep jumping out of the saddle, just so that you loose your speed 2 seconds later because your legs cannot sustain the intensity anymore. If you ride one day at any pace, and you cannot sustain that pace the next day, to me that is overtraining.

I hardly ever train to the point that leaves me sore that my legs shiver the next morning going down stairs. I feel the typical soreness that I would expect from a hard exercise, but since everyday is leg day, I limit the duration of my intensity. I still train hard, I just cover less miles. I get good sleep and stretch as much as needed.
Thank you for the scientifical break-down.
Old 05-30-18, 11:38 AM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no problem. glad I could help.
Old 05-30-18, 01:11 PM
themidge

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride one day at any pace, and you cannot sustain that pace the next day, to me that is overtraining.
I wouldn't say it's always overtraining. If you do an interval of say 20 minutes at max pace (for 20mins) several times in a ride, you will be pretty tired after that ride, and probably unable to recover sufficiently to reproduce the effort the next day. Lots of people do those kinds of intense efforts in training, are they all overtraining just because they have to take it easy the next day?
Old 05-30-18, 01:50 PM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by themidge
I wouldn't say it's always overtraining. If you do an interval of say 20 minutes at max pace (for 20mins) several times in a ride, you will be pretty tired after that ride, and probably unable to recover sufficiently to reproduce the effort the next day. Lots of people do those kinds of intense efforts in training, are they all overtraining just because they have to take it easy the next day?
i don't disagree. I was asked a rhetorical question and given a rhetorical answer.
Old 05-30-18, 01:53 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Why not just shed 100 grams off of the body weight as surely there is a extra 100 or so on the carcass ..?
Old 05-30-18, 01:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Nice parts often weigh less but they have other pleasures too. They look better, shift better, the lever action is smoother, they last longer.
Old 05-30-18, 02:58 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any real benefit between carbon and alloy is going to be in comfort. 100g isn’t going to mean much unless you weigh under 70kg, your bike weighs under 6kg and you’re rides typically finish at a significantly higher elevation than they start.

That being said, if you’re doing a 3-5hr Ride and your hands are killing you because your bars don’t absorb as much of the shock and vibration, you will possibly be slower.
Old 05-31-18, 08:07 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
100g over a 70kg rider + 8 kg frame = 0.1 % of the weight. So you will not notice it, no.

Over an 8kg bike, 100g is only 1.25% of the bike weight, so you wouldnt even notice it when holding the bike.

The only meaningful difference in bike weights that you feel is between lets say a 9kg bike and a 7kg bike. You would notice while climbing, or getting out of the saddle, that the 7kg bike "feels" lighter. But just 100g by itself, no way you can tell the difference.
Old 05-31-18, 08:19 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would never notice 100g of weight reduction. I imagine you could take a full kilogram off of an unsuspecting person's bike and they would never know.

However, on longer rides that end in the afternoon when it's gotten hotter, and I'm on the ~3 mile stretch across the wash to get home, I'm a bit faster because both water bottles are empty (1.4kg) and I've usually sweat out at least a liter (so another 1kg+.) So find a way to drop 2,400g without dehydrating, and you might pick up a little speed.
Old 05-31-18, 08:20 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
One of my full water bottles weighs 775g (I weighed it). Am I any faster after drinking 1/7th of it? Uh no. Am I faster after drinking the entire bottle? Uh no. Do I notice any weight difference whatsoever? Uh no.

But I have no doubt someone will try to debate it.
If you drink the water total system weight stays the same ;-)
Old 05-31-18, 08:24 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
If you drink the water total system weight stays the same ;-)
I know there's a winky there at the end, but I've ended summer rides down 3kg in water weight, even after consuming six or more full bottles. So you know, dehydrated. But lighter. Definitely lighter.
Old 05-31-18, 12:15 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
100g is huuuge. its the difference between winning the TDF and coming last imo.
I would do it for the bling alone. also it would look cool outside starbucks.
Old 05-31-18, 01:19 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But the water goes into you

It's a zero sum game.
One of my full water bottles weighs 775g (I weighed it). Am I any faster after drinking 1/7th of it? Uh no. Am I faster after drinking the entire bottle? Uh no. Do I notice any weight difference whatsoever? Uh no.

Old 05-31-18, 05:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

Sure, sometimes the fast guys show up to the group ride on their gravel bikes with 40mm tires and still hang, but they can put out more watts. If I did the same I'd dropped off the back. Training and equipment speed gains are not mutually exclusive. Its also simply funner to ride a lighter faster bike.
Old 05-31-18, 06:11 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Are you trying to debate that dropping weight doesn't have an affect on speed in certain situations (notably going uphill)?

Because that's wrong.

Whether or not you notice it or consider it significant is irrelevant.
Old 05-31-18, 06:16 PM
rubiksoval

l

But a faster bike would still make you faster. That's the problem with anecdotes like yours: they're either/or.

Do what you've done, but on a faster bike, and you've gone even faster than you would with just one or the other. No either/or necessary.
Old 05-31-18, 06:17 PM
rubiksoval

That's not overtraining. Not even a little bit.
Old 05-31-18, 06:55 PM
nemeseri

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes. When you climb Mt Washington (or similar steep climbs), if say you+bike+cloths+plus everything in your pockets weigh 175 pounds, you will get to the top 0.14% faster. Do the climb in an hour and save 5 seconds.

Now, on flat ground, the weight savings only shows up as less rolling resistance and as a result of that, lower drivetrain resistance. So it rolling resistance is 10% of the total and mechanical 5%, you would have a 0.0014 X 0.1 + 0.0014 X 0.1 X 0.05 = .0147% faster. (Over an hour, 1/2 second. At 20 mph, 18 feet. Real gains. Go for it!)

And yes, math and numbers takes all the fun out if it.

Ben
Hahahaha... You actually properly answered the question and nobody cares.
I agree. The simple answer to the OP's question is yes, 100g saving will make you faster. Whether it matters to the given rider or not is a different question.
Old 05-31-18, 06:57 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
Hahahaha... You actually properly answered the question and nobody cares.
I agree. The simple answer to the OP's question is yes, 100g saving will make you faster. Whether it matters to the given rider or not is a different question.
He neglected to include the slower acceleration. Which is small, but when you're down to 10^-4 anyway ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.