Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds AR 58/62 vs November Bicycle Cafe Racer 47

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reynolds AR 58/62 vs November Bicycle Cafe Racer 47

Old 06-30-19, 08:38 AM
MCase
TBI Survivor

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced w/ Di2 and Usually 25mm Tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds AR 58/62 vs November Bicycle Cafe Racer 46??

Meant Cafe Race 46...edits not saving...

I’m looking to upgrade to carbon wheels maxing out at $1100-$1200. After speaking with my very knowledgeable and trusted advisor at Competitive Cyclist who recommended the Reynolds AR 58/62 wheel-set I am leaning in that direction, but I’ve researched and read may good things about November Bicycles. Spoke to Mike and he was very helpful and patient. I’d love thoughts on the Reynolds vs the November Café Racers. I ride 25 mm GP 5000s with tubes. I’d also like to try a set of 28’s and possibly tubeless in the future. Both wheel sets accommodate either set up. Any thoughts/POV are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by MCase; 06-30-19 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Adding More Detail
Old 06-30-19, 02:29 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I can’t speak to the cafe Rims specifically, but I have owned 4 sets of November built wheels including their original “Rail” which were built for them to their specs. I’ve also owned two sets of alloy wheels and an older set of 38mm carbon wheels with their original logo.

you simply cannot go wrong with wheels built by Mike or Dave. They will never let you down and will support you like the great company they are. Nothing wrong with the Reynolds (although I’m always amazed at people’s horror stories of how difficult tired are to mount to them). I just like going with people I can speak to who are building my wheels for me.

either way I’m sure you’ll enjoy whichever you get. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your experiences!
Old 06-30-19, 02:49 PM
MCase
TBI Survivor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Robbyville

Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence in November. Mike and Dave have tons of amazing feedback/reviews.

If you know anything about them, any thoughts on the Mavic KSYRIUM PRO UST DISC wheels? I have been thinking about going to tubeless, but some of the horror stories I’ve heard about mounting and getting a good seal have scared me. And doing more research it seems the US T system of tires and wheels made specifically for each other are quite good and easy to mount. Thanks much!

Originally Posted by robbyville
I can’t speak to the cafe Rims specifically, but I have owned 4 sets of November built wheels including their original “Rail” which were built for them to their specs. I’ve also owned two sets of alloy wheels and an older set of 38mm carbon wheels with their original logo.

you simply cannot go wrong with wheels built by Mike or Dave. They will never let you down and will support you like the great company they are. Nothing wrong with the Reynolds (although I’m always amazed at people’s horror stories of how difficult tired are to mount to them). I just like going with people I can speak to who are building my wheels for me.

either way I’m sure you’ll enjoy whichever you get. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your experiences!
Old 06-30-19, 04:03 PM
robbyville

I haven’t used the UST wheels as they seemed to be specific to certain tires but I’ve been using tubeless since 2013 and exclusively for the last 3 years or so and won’t go back. Both the Reynolds and November wheels are tubeless compatible. Just do a search on my opinions on tubeless but I’ve used quite a few wheel and tire combos and enjoy them all (my vice seems to be buying and trying new wheel/tire combos).

i have never had a challenge dealing with tire installation with the exception of my current continental gp5000’s which were a bear to get on although I’m told this is the same with their clinchers. Still, once you get the method it’s not too bad!
Old 06-30-19, 05:34 PM
MCase
TBI Survivor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again Robbyville!

I appreciate the thoughtful reply. I struggle to get on my GP 5000s on also, with tubes. Glad to hear you got the hang of it so to speak.

Cheers

Originally Posted by robbyville
I haven’t used the UST wheels as they seemed to be specific to certain tires but I’ve been using tubeless since 2013 and exclusively for the last 3 years or so and won’t go back. Both the Reynolds and November wheels are tubeless compatible. Just do a search on my opinions on tubeless but I’ve used quite a few wheel and tire combos and enjoy them all (my vice seems to be buying and trying new wheel/tire combos).

i have never had a challenge dealing with tire installation with the exception of my current continental gp5000’s which were a bear to get on although I’m told this is the same with their clinchers. Still, once you get the method it’s not too bad!
Old 07-01-19, 07:27 AM
robbyville

No worries. Hopefully some others with your wheels choices can chime in.
Old 07-02-19, 06:16 AM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

I have the Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels on my new Canyon Aeroad SL. They are the disk version and they came with Continental tubeless Attack/Force tires 23F/25R.

I don't have a lot of experience on them as I have only had the bike for a month but so far I’m really liking them. They spin up fast, have very free running hubs and are smooth riding. I like the lower pressures I can ride in the tires which I’m sure makes a pretty stiff bike very comfortable. I like the subtle Reynolds graphics too.
Old 07-02-19, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Really not my style but I still have to admit that's a fantastic looking bike!
Old 07-04-19, 10:48 AM
MCase
TBI Survivor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the useful information mantis. If I’m ask, what psi do you put in each of your tires? You reference lower psi, but I’m wondering what that’s in reference to. I’m glad to hear you like them so far and your feedback is incredibly useful.
Old 07-04-19, 11:16 AM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MCase
Thank you for the useful information mantis. If I’m ask, what psi do you put in each of your tires? You reference lower psi, but I’m wondering what that’s in reference to. I’m glad to hear you like them so far and your feedback is incredibly useful.
No problem. My first experience owning carbon wheels so I’m still learning too.

With the AR 58/62 wheels, in addition to the front wheel being a slightly shallower section, the front wheel is slightly narrower than the rear, thus the 23mm front/25mm rear tire sizes.

I’ve been riding my tube tire road bikes at or near maximum pressure for years so it was an adjustment process for me to put less pressure in. The max pressure for my Conti’s is 120 psi. and I initially rode them at that.

After a lot of experimenting and testing with the tubeless tires I’ve seemed to settle on 90 rear and 85 front. Performance seems to be identical or nearly identical and it is a lot more comfortable ride. The Aeroad is Canyon’s race frame and it’s really stiff so the lower pressures in the tires is a real plus.

Last edited by mantis; 07-04-19 at 11:39 AM.