Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Edge 830

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 04:54 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
nice you're getting it figured out, FML. looking forward to exploring its features as well. bought it for the street navigation. anything else will be a bonus.

got mine (again) today! all kinds of sensors to install tonight. also want to get my first ride with a hrm in this evening. just punch in the number of miles and let it pick a novel route for me.

edit:
the bike alarm feature is absurd. like you'd ever leave this on your bike. i don't leave my front light mounted if i'm gonna be in the store for more than 15 seconds.

Last edited by denada; 07-25-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 05:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
A friend sent his initial impressions of the 830
Got the 830 on Tuesday. It is much faster and uses more satellite formats, but this draws more power if you combine GPS + GLONASS or GPS + Galileo. Color display is pretty.

It does not have bike profiles, so need to enter which bike I am using on Strava. No bike odometer feature, so I need to track that manually (wish one could enter bike odometer readings in Strava which only uses historical data from riders recorded on their platform.)

It uses a micro USB cord, which I prefer. No need to carry the mini-USB cords on the bike any longer as everything is now micro-USB compatable.

It is a tad lighter than the 810. It is shorter and should fit stem mounting better.

Hopefully, it will not be as glitch-prone as the 810.
Old 07-26-19, 08:19 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If the 830 doesn't have bike profiles then how does it figure out which bike you are using? How does it know the difference between two different wheel sizes on different bikes?

Also, has anyone used it with the screen on all the time and ran the battery down? How long does it last?

Sincerely asking. Not trying to challenge.

-Tim-
Old 07-26-19, 02:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

well, my friend is an old person like me, so he might have missed the bike profiles. However, the device automatically detects wheel size. I assume by comparing speed sensor output to gps. I just scanned the manual and don't see anything about profiles.

It's easy enough to switch bikes on strava, so tracking mileage by bike that way isn't a problem
Old 07-26-19, 03:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
They did away with Bike Profiles and now call it Activity Profiles, my 1000 is set up this way. You can name the Activity with a bike name, I have 6 currently. Each can have a different screen layout, thus my Di2 bike shows gearing, the others don't.

Garmin never ported the Bike Profile data up to Connect, and doesn't do this with an Activity Profile, any data pertinent to an Activity is resident on the device only. I recall needing a Garmin tech. support call a few years back on my 1000 and made the suggestion to the tech about how they should send the profile data to Connect. He thought that was a great idea and said I should send it as an e-mail suggestion to Garmin. Sigh.

I send my data to RWGPS which is my activity tracker. When I edit a completed ride, I indicate which bike. That lets me track mileage for different bikes.
Old 07-26-19, 03:44 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
No bike odometer feature, so I need to track that manually
There is a basic odometer app you can download to keep track on the bike. Very basic and not optimized for the 830 but it works.
Old 07-27-19, 06:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

forgot about apps. I'll have to mention that to my friend
Old 07-27-19, 01:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I reminded him we are going to France in two weeks, so he bought the Europe maps from Garmin. They wouldn't load. Anyone have this problem?
Old 07-27-19, 08:03 PM
August West

forgot about apps. I'll have to mention that to my friend
If he tries it, I found that it would only display with the proper font size when you have an even # of fields on the screen with the odometer. If you have an odd # the font is much smaller (or visa versa, I can't remember). No big deal since you can stick it on a seldom used screen and customize how you like.
Old 07-27-19, 08:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
I reminded him we are going to France in two weeks, so he bought the Europe maps from Garmin. They wouldn't load. Anyone have this problem?
Not enough detail to debug the problem.

It doesn’t make much (any) sense to buy maps from Garmin.

The free OSM maps work.

You can download what you need (rather than a whole continent) and get maps that are up-to-date (by 2-4 weeks).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-27-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 04:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Note that I didn't ask you to debug the problem, that's Garmin's job. I just asked if anyone had the problem in the hopes that Garmin had fixed it for anyone reading. Garmin's solution may well be to refund his money. Some people would rather spend money than go through the minor hassle of d/l osm maps. I was impressed that they were only $20, that's smart, but I hope some of that goes to OSM.
Old 07-28-19, 05:10 AM
njkayaker

Note that I didn't ask you to debug the problem, that's Garmin's job. I just asked if anyone had the problem in the hopes that Garmin had fixed it for anyone reading.
I was supposing you were more interested in solving the problem than a strict answer to a particular question.

If it’s “Garmin’s job”, you asking the question here is odd.

Garmin's solution may well be to refund his money. Some people would rather spend money than go through the minor hassle of d/l osm maps. I was impressed that they were only $20, that's smart, but I hope some of that goes to OSM.
$20 is cheap.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-19 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 05:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Neither of us is in a position to debug, I was fishing for known solutions. I'm sure someone has gone through this. Garmin support is generally considered to be pretty good, so I suppose they'll fix it tomorrow.
Old 07-28-19, 01:21 PM
njkayaker

Neither of us is in a position to debug,.
Which is what I said.

I was fishing for known solutions. I'm sure someone has gone through this.
You haven't provided enough information for anybody to know what "this" is. It doesn't seem you know much about the issue. It might not be a common problem.
Old 07-28-19, 03:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks for the implied offer to help. The maps wouldn't load because the installer reported that there wasn't enough space on the device. They only require 9gb and there is 13gb free. These maps are supposed to be compatible with the 830, but apparently they didn't try to install them on a 830 for the U.S. market. The instructions say not to delete any of the maps that are shipped with the device, but my guess is that will be their recommendation.

I sent him the link to the bike specific osm maps for France, but I think he's too annoyed with Garmin to go that route.
Old 07-29-19, 12:16 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
..... yes, i imagine something at the local hardware store would be a nicer fix than electrical tape.
Take an old tube, cut two strips the width of the mount's clamp. Place one piece of tube on the bottom of the clamp, the other on the top. If you need more filler, cut one piece of tube twice the width of the clamp and fold it. I use cut tube pieces for mounting anything that goes on my handlebars. It's especially good when using aluminum mounts as it keeps the aluminum mount from marring the handlebar and also prevents corrosion between the mount and the handlebar. The image changed orientation during the upload but you can see where the tube is at.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 07-29-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 03:22 PM
denada

^thanks. asked the bike shop to throw away my last flat, but will keep the next and give your method a try.
Old 07-29-19, 03:28 PM
August West

Originally Posted by denada
^thanks. asked the bike shop to throw away my last flat, but will keep the next and give your method a try.
If they could save you one without puncture sealant it would be nice. Don't ask me how I know
Old 07-29-19, 03:41 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for the implied offer to help. The maps wouldn't load because the installer reported that there wasn't enough space on the device. They only require 9gb and there is 13gb free. These maps are supposed to be compatible with the 830, but apparently they didn't try to install them on a 830 for the U.S. market. The instructions say not to delete any of the maps that are shipped with the device, but my guess is that will be their recommendation.

I sent him the link to the bike specific osm maps for France, but I think he's too annoyed with Garmin to go that route.
@unterhausen: I had exactly the same problem. As you know, there’s not enough internal storage for both the pre-loaded US map and the Europe map you (and I) bought. You cable up your Garmin to your computer and (from Windows Explorer or MacOS Finder), move the map files to a safe folder on your computer or in your cloud drive. Then install the Europe map. After you get back from Europe you can reverse the process and reinstall your US map (though I haven’t done that). Here’s a link with the instructions:
https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?fa...fL13jb6cyPuRK9

Personally, I think it’s a rip-off that there’s no microSD card slot.
Old 07-30-19, 11:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

the lack of an SD slot is somewhat disappointing. They could have put a bit more memory in it
Old 07-31-19, 04:30 AM
njkayaker

Unfortunate.
Old 07-31-19, 04:39 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by FML123
Personally, I think it’s a rip-off that there’s no microSD card slot.
The unit is small. An SD card means a smaller battery.

Not many people need to have 2 or more continental maps.

The 1030 has an SD card slot.
Old 07-31-19, 08:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

garmin gave him his money back and he got their maps to load, so that isn't a horrible outcome. He said he moved the u.s. maps to a different directory on the device. There is enough space on the device, it sounds like there might be a directory size limit or a partition configuration issue.
Old 07-31-19, 05:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If the 830 doesn't have bike profiles then how does it figure out which bike you are using? How does it know the difference between two different wheel sizes on different bikes?

Also, has anyone used it with the screen on all the time and ran the battery down? How long does it last?

Sincerely asking. Not trying to challenge.

-Tim-
The device itself doesn't know what bike you're using. But if you set a wheel size manually it probably uses the ID of the wheel sensor to know. I have a few different chest straps for different purposes, it tells me by name when it connects to one.
Old 07-31-19, 05:59 PM
denada

i am still on my first charge with 5 1/2 hours of ride time. my screen is always on when riding. i also probably have 1/2 hour of playing with it on my couch. is there an amount of time it claims?

wish a speedometer reading was included in the navigation screen. far as i can tell, you have to swipe to chose between ride stats or navigation. a little bar across the bottom telling me my speed on the navigation screen would be wonderful.

giving it props on to-destination navigation. only once in a while is its route too silly to follow. and a few times that i've given it a chance even though i wanted to go a different way, i was pleasantly surprised at the bike friendly roads it chose.

Last edited by denada; 07-31-19 at 06:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.