Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Stump jumper Sort Designed Tim Neenan

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 02:58 PM
buycycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stump jumper Sort Designed Tim Neenan

Hi,
I recently acquired a Specialized Stumpjumper Sport that still has a "Designed by Tim Neenan" decal in place and am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on what I have here. I don't have enough seniority on the page to post pictures yet, but the bike is in decent condition. Rides nicely, and shows minor signs of use. All decals are still in place.

Thanks for weighing in!

Here are the specs:

Specialized Stumpjumper Sport
Decal affixed reads: “Designed by Tim Neenan”
Serial Number: H2HS5181
Frame Composition: Chrome-Moly
Frame size: 19”
Rims: Araya (Japan) 1.75 x 26
Pedals: Suntour Superbe
Brake grips: Dia Compe
Shifters: Suntour smooth shifting
Front Derailleur: Suntour AR
Rear Derailleur: Suntour AR
Crank: Siguno AT
Saddle: Nashbar
Seat post: SR Laprade
Brakes: Dia Compe Center pull
Bottle bracket: Blackburn
Tires: Kenda K West 1.50 x 26
Old 09-02-19, 04:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-02-19, 05:21 PM
buycycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, Bianchigirl, for posting my photos--though how you managed to rescue them from Bike Forum purgatory, I'm not sure! No matter, that is indeed my Stumpjumper Sport.

Still hoping someone on this forum can enlighten me on the provenance of this model, and pertinently, what it might be worth these days. Thanks!

Last edited by buycycle; 09-02-19 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 10:32 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 108 Posts
I’m not an expert by any means, but I think the serial number indicates a 1982 frame build date. Looks like your bike was put together during that time of component transition; still wearing the Mafac cantilevers rather than the Dia Compe brakes that showed up a bit later.
Did the early Sport models ever come with the TA cranks?
Here is my 1983 for comparison:

Last edited by orcas island; 09-02-19 at 10:35 PM.
Likes For orcas island:
Old 09-03-19, 10:09 AM
orcas island 

There are lots of threads on this forum relating to the early Stumpjumpers; search those keywords and be ready to spend a few hours...
Values are quite dependent on your location. A fast moving market will make this a more valuable bike. Painting with a broad brush here, but Craigslist value probably lies between $175-$350 depending on many variables regarding location, condition, originality, etc...
Old 09-03-19, 10:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
I’m not an expert by any means, but I think the serial number indicates a 1982 frame build date. Looks like your bike was put together during that time of component transition; still wearing the Mafac cantilevers rather than the Dia Compe brakes that showed up a bit later.
Did the early Sport models ever come with the TA cranks?
Here is my 1983 for comparison:
That is a beautiful bike.
Old 09-03-19, 12:51 PM
buycycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks! Hard to tell what's original on a bike this old, but I'm going to guess that the previous owner wouldn't replace better components with lesser versions, so, following that logic, if my bike has components that are not as good as the stock components on the 1983 and later models, then it's a good bet that those lesser components on my bike are original. If that makes any sense!
Old 09-03-19, 08:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by buycycle
Thanks! Hard to tell what's original on a bike this old, but I'm going to guess that the previous owner wouldn't replace better components with lesser versions, so, following that logic, if my bike has components that are not as good as the stock components on the 1983 and later models, then it's a good bet that those lesser components on my bike are original. If that makes any sense!
Incorrect premise. I have routinely seen bikes where the nicer original components were swapped out with lesser parts. Sometimes people just change stuff. Sometimes they want something newer, but the budget limits them to lower end. For example: I have often seen higher end Campy parts swapped out with bottom of the barrel Shimano, just so the owner could have indexed shifting.

I do not see any parts on your bike that I would call an "upgrade" from original.

Step 1: look up the date codes, that will tell you if parts are from the same era as the bike.

Stem looks wrong, crank chain rings look wrong, handlebars look wrong, pedals look wrong, saddle looks wrong. Again, pictures are not that clear, so maybe I am wrong.

Generally the Sport model is worth a lot LESS than the regular Stumpjumper, half or less. People/collectors want the top of the line, and not a step down. Your brake calipers look like Dia Compes to me, but the picture isn't that good. And no drive side picture makes commenting on value pretty much impossible.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-03-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 03:43 AM
buycycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the info!

Actually, the two photos above were posted by another user, BianchiGirl. I have many more photos of every aspect of the bike that was unable to post because I haven't been registered on the site long enough to have earned picture posting privileges. (I guess the threshold you have to pass is ten posts--but if they count comments, I may hit that goal soon enough, at which point I will update the post to include more photos.)

As for guesstimates of value. I saw that a Stump Jumper Sport of similar vintage sold for $550 on eBay about a week ago. As best as I can figure, that was a 1983, and not the '82, which was the first model year for this bike.

Last edited by buycycle; 09-04-19 at 03:48 AM. Reason: clean up flow
Old 09-04-19, 05:24 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts

As for guesstimates of value. I saw that a Stump Jumper Sport of similar vintage sold for $550 on eBay about a week ago. As best as I can figure, that was a 1983, and not the '82, which was the first model year for this bike.
That's too much for a Sport.

My wife has one and its a fun bike, but it's no MB1 for example.

fwiw I've owned two 1983 Stumpjumpers and I paid much less than the Sport you mention.

I haven't paid more than $500 for any vintage mtb and we've rolled through a boatload of them.

Also, don't forget about ebay fees and the joy of shipping a bike.

just my 2 cents.......
Old 09-04-19, 06:27 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Actually, the two photos above were posted by another user, BianchiGirl. I have many more photos of every aspect of the bike that was unable to post because I haven't been registered on the site long enough to have earned picture posting privileges. (I guess the threshold you have to pass is ten posts--but if they count comments, I may hit that goal soon enough, at which point I will update the post to include more photos.)

Well I see yours is currently listed on eBay for $650. Good luck with that. Museum piece? Rusty. Dirty. Missing a lot of original parts.
Old 09-04-19, 07:39 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Well I see yours is currently listed on eBay for $650. Good luck with that. Museum piece? Rusty. Dirty. Missing a lot of original parts.

I see what he did here. Flipper using our knowledge.
Old 09-04-19, 07:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+ 1. Plus it looks terrible with those handlebars. This is a project at best. The pedals are badly rusted and there is something funky going on with rust on the frame. Plus the pictures of the bike on eBay are incomplete.
Old 09-04-19, 08:40 AM
orcas island 

Back to my original estimate of value; that’s a $200 bike (after looking at the EBay photos), for someone with a nostalgic soft spot for this model. As wrk101 mentioned, there are a few replacement parts and folks buying a bike like this often prize originality above all else. It’s a project; looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet. Seller should not be surprised if any offers are in this range....

Last edited by orcas island; 09-04-19 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For orcas island:
Old 09-04-19, 11:36 AM
buycycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for sharing your insights, which are all much appreciated!

Last edited by buycycle; 09-16-19 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Brevity