Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Remember The CCM Corsa XL?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does Anyone Remember The CCM Corsa XL?

Old 09-18-19, 01:13 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I weighed my Tour du Canada the day I got and assembled it. As found and in original condition, the bike came in at 21 pounds 9 ounces, as pictured...

Once built up and as pictured, the Tour du Canada came in at 24 pounds 8 ounces...

I also had a CCM Mistral, for a while, but never really got into it. As found, the Mistral came in at 28 pounds 10 ounces - not the 26 pounds reported in the CCM comparison chart from the mid seventies. Sorry, no picture of the Mistral.
Randy, that TdC was not OEM when you rec'd it. The Brooks Pro is pretty hefty and adds 4 oz. over the stock Unicanitor. The beefier Record brakeset adds 3.5 oz. over the standard Universal 68. The 24T freewheel will add another 2.5 oz. over the stock 14-18T. So, we're already down to an even 21 lbs. I don't know what tyres it came with when you got it but I'd bet they were quite a bit heavier than the 280g D'Alessandro Super that were stock. Finally, it's a 22" frame versus the 21" that CCM almost certainly used for it's claimed weight. So, even based on your weight, it's pretty easy to get a stock TdC into the sub 21 lb. range that I remember. If CCM didn't include the pump in their measurement, then 20 lbs is not unrealistic.
Old 09-18-19, 01:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
You make a good point, Tom and I bough to your experience. None the less, I am always a bit skeptical of reported weights reported in catalogs.
Old 09-20-19, 08:59 PM
Erik XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, hopefully, are a few pics of my Corsa XL.

Lots of enthusiastic use!

Old 09-20-19, 09:00 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 09-20-19, 09:12 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weighed my Tour du Canada the day I got and assembled it. As found and in original condition, the bike came in at 21 pounds 9 ounces, as pictured...

Once built up and as pictured, the Tour du Canada came in at 24 pounds 8 ounces...

I also had a CCM Mistral, for a while, but never really got into it. As found, the Mistral came in at 28 pounds 10 ounces - not the 26 pounds reported in the CCM comparison chart from the mid seventies. Sorry, no picture of the Mistral.
I'm insanely jealous. What a beautiful bike. One day I'll find one.
Old 09-21-19, 04:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

For anyone interested, another forum member has a CCM Tour du Canada (the good one not the eighties POS) frame and fork set. List on the for sale forum and ask for a TdC. You might just get what you seek. I gave thought to buying/trading it myself but I already have two bikes, three if you count my Bianchi in Jamaica.

This, incidentally is the later (eighties) Tour du Canada, not something that I would want...

Old 09-21-19, 07:14 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik XL
12 year old me would have been in love with that bike. That blue paint and the chrome fork would have been all it would have taken. I would have been terribly jealous.
Old 09-21-19, 08:23 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
12 year old me would have been in love with that bike. That blue paint and the chrome fork would have been all it would have taken. I would have been terribly jealous.
Thanks!

12 year old me did love it. It was the coolest bike in the 12 year old crowd, that summer.

The chrome fork was actually an aftermarket piece. I got into an accident with it, ran into with another bike, and as we were unable to replace the original half painted/half chrome fork, we had to settle for the full chrome one. Not a terrible compromise, but what can you do?
Old 09-21-19, 08:25 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone interested, another forum member has a CCM Tour du Canada (the good one not the eighties POS) frame and fork set. List on the for sale forum and ask for a TdC. You might just get what you seek. I gave thought to buying/trading it myself but I already have two bikes, three if you count my Bianchi in Jamaica.

This, incidentally is the later (eighties) Tour du Canada, not something that I would want...

Great tip! Thanks.

Btw, what's the history behind the 80s version of the Tour du Canada? When was that made? How did it differ?
Old 09-21-19, 10:42 AM
randyjawa 

Btw, what's the history behind the 80s version of the Tour du Canada? When was that made? How did it differ?
Having little interest in the eighties TdC, I spent no time researching it. As for how did it differ?

The original TdC featured Reynolds chrome moly tub set, Campagnolo Record high flange hubs, crank set, transmission and seat tube. The eighties model was not chrome moly, did not sport high end components and did not offer a very good ride quality, compared to its sophisticated predecessor.
Old 09-21-19, 11:06 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Having little interest in the eighties TdC, I spent no time researching it. As for how did it differ?

The original TdC featured Reynolds chrome moly tub set, ....
Reynolds 531 used in the original TdC is manganese-molybdenum, not chromium-molybdenum
Old 09-21-19, 12:02 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The original TdC featured Reynolds chrome moly tub set, Campagnolo Record high flange hubs, crank set, transmission and seat tube. The eighties model was not chrome moly, did not sport high end components and did not offer a very good ride quality, compared to its sophisticated predecessor.
Just curious!
So basically, it was just using the name.
Old 09-21-19, 12:14 PM
T-Mar

Great tip! Thanks.

The Tour du Canada model name was resurrected by Procycle when they bought the CCM brand name in the 1981 bankruptcy. While the 1973-1976 version would have been considered lower high end, the revised TdC was entry level based on the hi-tensile frame and steel rims. The CCM brand was still highly recognizable but its reputation was severely tarnished in the 1970s and Procycle decided to designate it as an entry level brand. They didn't need another full range brand, as they were the Canadian manufacturer/distributor for Peugeot and also had their own full range Velosport brand. The people who were still willing to buy CCM, were the lowest common denominator market, who weren't abreast of what happened in the 1970s and wanted a inexpensive but brand name bicycle.
Old 09-21-19, 12:49 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Tour du Canada model name was resurrected by Procycle when they bought the CCM brand name in the 1981 bankruptcy. While the 1973-1976 version would have been considered lower high end, the revised TdC was entry level based on the hi-tensile frame and steel rims. The CCM brand was still highly recognizable but its reputation was severely tarnished in the 1970s and Procycle decided to designate it as an entry level brand. They didn't need another full range brand, as they were the Canadian manufacturer/distributor for Peugeot and also had their own full range Velosport brand. The people who were still willing to buy CCM, were the lowest common denominator market, who weren't abreast of what happened in the 1970s and wanted a inexpensive but brand name bicycle.
Excellent!
Thanks for the fantastic info.
Old 09-22-19, 02:06 PM
T-Mar

That Corsa XL would still be a heavy bicycle as it used the standard hi-tensile steel frame and steel rims. While it has some upgrades over the Corsa, I'm only seeing 1-2 lbs difference.

The price difference between the Corsa and Corsa XL was only $23.50. Typically, that small of a price difference isn't going to buy very much weight reduction and some of that would have been year to year inflation.

While the decal scheme is the same as that used on other 1979 models, we don't know if this scheme was carried over. One noticeable difference is that the rear brake uses cable stops, while other 1979 models use full length cable housing and plastic cable clamps. While I don't have evidence to show that cable stops were used in 1980, they are shown in the 1981 literature. Consequently, unless a 1980 catalogue surfaces to prove otherwise, I'm leaning towards a 1980 model on the basis of the cable stops and serial number, despite the colour discrepancy.
Old 09-22-19, 03:03 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Corsa XL would still be a heavy bicycle as it used the standard hi-tensile steel frame and steel rims. While it has some upgrades over the Corsa, I'm only seeing 1-2 lbs difference.

The price difference between the Corsa and Corsa XL was only $23.50. Typically, that small of a price difference isn't going to buy very much weight reduction and some of that would have been year to year inflation.

While the decal scheme is the same as that used on other 1979 models, we don't know if this scheme was carried over. One noticeable difference is that the rear brake uses cable stops, while other 1979 models use full length cable housing and plastic cable clamps. While I don't have evidence to show that cable stops were used in 1980, they are shown in the 1981 literature. Consequently, unless a 1980 catalogue surfaces to prove otherwise, I'm leaning towards a 1980 model on the basis of the cable stops and serial number, despite the colour discrepancy.
The Corsa and Corsa XL did differ in other ways, including moving the gear selector to the stem, and upgrading the brakes to centre pulls. Not huge differences, but good catalog fodder for a 20% increase in price.

From what I have found by poking around and looking at pictures, the decals on the 1979 and 1980 were the same, while the 1981 decals were different. And it seems that in 1980 or 81, the gear selectors on the regular Corsa also got moved to the stem.

While I could have bought mine and in July 1979, or1980, I could not have bought it in 1981.

Do you know if CCM build to order also? Could they have built one last leftover blue one? Mine was ordering direct from CCM, with an agonizingly long wait of probably a few weeks. Hey I was 13.
Old 09-22-19, 05:53 PM
T-Mar

The Corsa and Corsa XL did differ in other ways, including moving the gear selector to the stem, and upgrading the brakes to centre pulls. Not huge differences, but good catalog fodder for a 20% increase in price.

From what I have found by poking around and looking at pictures, the decals on the 1979 and 1980 were the same, while the 1981 decals were different. And it seems that in 1980 or 81, the gear selectors on the regular Corsa also got moved to the stem.

While I could have bought mine and in July 1979, or1980, I could not have bought it in 1981.

Do you know if CCM build to order also? Could they have built one last leftover blue one? Mine was ordering direct from CCM, with an agonizingly long wait of probably a few weeks. Hey I was 13.
Every Corsa I've seen has had centre-pull brakes. I've seen a mix of down tube and stem mounted shift levers but some of those could be owner modifications. Both centre-pull brakes and stem mounted shift levers would be considered downgrades over side-pull brakes and down tube mounted shift levers.

To reiterate, the Corsa did not exist in 1979-1981. According to factory documentation, it was replaced by the Corsa XL for those years. However, there is a good probability that CCM had leftover 1978 Corsa stock that they cleared in 1979 and an even higher probability that some dealers had 1978 Corsa models sitting on the showroom floor well into the very early 1980s.

Your bicycle is definitely not a 1981 model. With the exception of the colour, it appears to be a 1980 model.

It's improbable that CCM was building to order in 1980, given that their entire range was entry level.

BTW, what is the weight of your bicycle?
Old 09-22-19, 06:48 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every Corsa I've seen has had centre-pull brakes. I've seen a mix of down tube and stem mounted shift levers but some of those could be owner modifications. Both centre-pull brakes and stem mounted shift levers would be considered downgrades over side-pull brakes and down tube mounted shift levers.

To reiterate, the Corsa did not exist in 1979-1981. According to factory documentation, it was replaced by the Corsa XL for those years. However, there is a good probability that CCM had leftover 1978 Corsa stock that they cleared in 1979 and an even higher probability that some dealers had 1978 Corsa models sitting on the showroom floor well into the very early 1980s.

Your bicycle is definitely not a 1981 model. With the exception of the colour, it appears to be a 1980 model.

It's improbable that CCM was building to order in 1980, given that their entire range was entry level.

BTW, what is the weight of your bicycle?
They could have been clearing existing stock, but they certainly had 1979+ decaled Corsas. The earlier models had a different, simpler decal package. Then they went to the 1979-80 type, with the red and white. Like I have. The earlier Corsa was just red stickers.

And by build to order, I basically means paint to order. I did very specifically order the blue.

I'll have to get back to you with the weight!
Old 05-03-22, 10:34 PM
Radlers

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. CCM's Corsa XL was a 3 year model (1979-1981). It was the replacement for the 1978 Corsa and was 3rd in CCM's line of four "lightweight models" (i.e. derailleur equipped bicycles with 27" wheels and drop handlebars). MSRP in the summer of 1980 would have been ~$200 CDN. In 1979 it was offered in four colours (jasmine, silver, white and blue). White and blue were dropped in favour of black for 1980 and jasmine was dropped for 1981.

The big upgrade over the Corsa was an aluminum, cotterless crankset replacing the cottered, steel crankset. While this certainly lightened the bicycle, by most standards it was still only an entry level model, having a hi-tensile steel frame with stamped dropouts, stem mounted shift levers, safety brake lever levers and steel rims. While there may have been some minor variation from year to year, the major components were typically Shimano Altus derailleurs paired with Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes and an SR Silstar crankset.

CCM was on it's last legs during this period, having been in trouble ever since the influx of foreign ten speeds during the very early 1970s. There were a multitude of problems including labour unrest, poor workmanship, a dated factory and an aversion of young people towards domestic corporate entities. This last aspect took a huge toll on their lightweight market, as the teenagers and young adults gravitated towards foreign market models. CCM was left with primarily a children's and middle aged market. Remaining lightweight sales were heavily skewed to the entry level models. Consequently, CCM management made the unfortunate decision to downscale the lightweight line, eliminating all the high end and mid range model over a two year period. By 1978 the lightweight line was all entry level models. There were no models with 700C wheels or frame better than hi-tensile steel. In my opinion, the absence of a high grade "showcase" model only further eroded the image of brand and hastened their demise. The company went bankrupt at the beginning on 1983 with Procycle buying the rights to brand ( for bicycles only) and the bicycle brand currently being licensed to Canadian Tire.

From the 1981 catalogue:
T-Mar,

I had the Empire equivalent of the black Corsa XL that I bought at Kmart as a kid. I only discovered this recently looking at a black Corsa XL ad. it was just a sticker change. Oddly, I'm considering this XL, but I'm wondering why, as the original rims had a hard time staying true for any length of time.

Last year I scored a near mint CCM Monza (red). Finding those these days is so rare, and this one appeared for $35. Done! Future bike for my daughter. I don't remember which year this was. Early 80's for sure.
My first post, so no pics allowed...
Old 05-04-22, 05:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Radlers
T-Mar,

I had the Empire equivalent of the black Corsa XL that I bought at Kmart as a kid. I only discovered this recently looking at a black Corsa XL ad. it was just a sticker change. Oddly, I'm considering this XL, but I'm wondering why, as the original rims had a hard time staying true for any length of time.

Last year I scored a near mint CCM Monza (red). Finding those these days is so rare, and this one appeared for $35. Done! Future bike for my daughter. I don't remember which year this was. Early 80's for sure.
My first post, so no pics allowed...
Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a very good probability that your Empire is a rebranded Corsa XL, as there was a corporate tie between the companies at that time. In May 1978, CCM was acquired by Maxwell Cummings & Sons Holdings Ltd. The company also owned Empire Distributing. The acquisition of CCM raised Empire's share of the Canadian bicycle market from 7.5% to 22.5% and gave them a Canadian manufacturing facility to avoid the tariffs they had been paying on foreign manufactured bicycles. If you stll have your Empire, the serial number and its location would provide definitive evidence as to whether it is a rebranded CCM product.

Regarding the Monza, it was Junior Racing model, with "Junior" indicating 24" wheels. Introduced for the 1978 model year, it was manufactured until the demise of CCM (the company, not the brand) in January 1983. On your bicycle, the decal scheme indicates it is one of the later versions, from 1980-1983. The serial number should allow us to narrow down that range to 1-2 model years. Photo assist...

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-04-22 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-04-22, 08:15 AM
Radlers

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar,

The Empire I had, and the Corsa XL in the ad (pics below), have WAY too many similarities not to be the same bike. Right down to the gold stripe between the chrome and black part of the front fork. Hardware, same stuff. One sticker not on the Empire was the rear red stripes down the seat stays. Granted, that may have been an add on by the current owner. I found another larger frame Corsa XL for sale in black, and that didn't have the red stripes. The Empire had the shiny blue sticker on the seat tube. I recall it have a tag on it stating it was made in Canada. Empire was a British bike company, no? I've looked, but I can't find any pictures of the Empire variant anywhere on the net so far.
Old 05-04-22, 12:56 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Radlers
...Empire was a British bike company, no? I've looked, but I can't find any pictures of the Empire variant anywhere on the net so far.
In this case, Empire was the house brand of Empire Distribution Ltd., a Montreal based sporting goods distributor.