Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange Wheels

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Velo Orange Wheels

Old 08-21-19, 04:14 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Velo Orange Wheels

As many have guessed I am building up a new project. I am looking for a nice set of wheels, I don’t want to build my own. But traditional laced wheels for rim brake bikes are getting scarce. The price is either cheap or in the $500 and up range. VO has some nice wheels but the asking price before shipping is $465. I have seen almost no reviews on them online. Anyone here use or know of someone who does?
Old 08-21-19, 04:28 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
As many have guessed I am building up a new project. I am looking for a nice set of wheels, I don’t want to build my own. But traditional laced wheels for rim brake bikes are getting scarce. The price is either cheap or in the $500 and up range. VO has some nice wheels but the asking price before shipping is $465. I have seen almost no reviews on them online. Anyone here use or know of someone who does?
Stand by while I contact my psychic consultant to know which wheels.
Old 08-21-19, 09:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Pacenti has even cooler wheels in the $400 range. The VO pages aren't even clear whether the spokes are butted, which is something I insist on.

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-22-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 09:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Build your own? $70 for good used hubs, (2) $70 rims, DB spokes for $50/wheel. $350 total + rubber.

Tools required - $7 spoke wrench. The Park Tension gauge is nice but pinging a good wheel with similar gauge spokes and lacing pattern and noting the pitch will give you the same information. Truing stand is nice but your bike will work just as well. Dishing tool is nice but flipping the wheel in your stand will get you to the same place.

Or go to shops and look for wheels on sale. (I sometimes buy sale wheels for their rims and hubs. RIde them as is for a while, then rebuild with the spokes and pattern I really want.)

Building wheels is a skill you will never regret.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-22-19, 07:41 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Velomine sells excellent wheelsets, lots of options. I have a set of Velomine wheels with over 5,000 trouble free miles on them.

VO's wheels are also well regarded; as are their rims.

Post what you're looking for in terms of wheel size, hub type, rim width, etc. You may be surprised at what comes up.
Old 08-22-19, 12:48 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts

I've had some VO wheels for 6 years. Found the front PBP rim/large flange wheel on sale for something like $125; bought the rear large flange hub, PBP rim new on eBay for $110 and $55 respectively + spokes and built it myself. My only complaint is that the Shimano cassette I put on it seems to be frozen - I absolutely cannot break that lock ring free even after soaking in PB Blaster.

Last edited by Eric S.; 08-22-19 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 01:41 PM
em_525

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1
I had a set of wheels from VO on my old Colnago Master, a while ago. I never had any issue with them at all. I'd buy from them again, no worries.
Old 08-22-19, 02:43 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Stand by while I contact my psychic consultant to know which wheels.
Well you got me there. It shouldn't make a big difference since all their hubs are the same. But here are the two I'm looking at.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ar-wheel-135mm
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...bp-front-wheel
Old 08-23-19, 02:02 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.

I've had some VO wheels for 6 years. Found the front PBP rim/large flange wheel on sale for something like $125; bought the rear large flange hub, PBP rim new on eBay for $110 and $55 respectively + spokes and built it myself. My only complaint is that the Shimano cassette I put on it seems to be frozen - I absolutely cannot break that lock ring free even after soaking in PB Blaster.
What are you using as a wrench on the cassette tool? If you are using a wrench, or adjustable wrench, don't. Go get a socket that fits the tool, and a breaker bar. You need leverage, and the breaker bar will give that to you.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-23-19, 02:23 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I have some VO 650b rim brake rims that I bought used. I think I bought them here, actually.

They're great. They spin as buttery smooth as my vintage Campy hubs.

I don't rightly know if the spokes are butted or not.

My use for this particular bike has been somewhat limited -- short commutes in town (4-5 miles), mostly. My intent for this bike is to do some bikepacking with it, but that hasn't happened yet due to weather and time constraints.

Anyway I have no complaints.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-25-19, 05:11 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Build your own? $70 for good used hubs, (2) $70 rims, DB spokes for $50/wheel. $350 total + rubber.

Tools required - $7 spoke wrench. The Park Tension gauge is nice but pinging a good wheel with similar gauge spokes and lacing pattern and noting the pitch will give you the same information. Truing stand is nice but your bike will work just as well. Dishing tool is nice but flipping the wheel in your stand will get you to the same place.

Or go to shops and look for wheels on sale. (I sometimes buy sale wheels for their rims and hubs. RIde them as is for a while, then rebuild with the spokes and pattern I really want.)

Building wheels is a skill you will never regret.

Ben
I would agree about the skill. I can true a wheel but have never built it from scratch. Which is why I’m looking for a nice set of pre built wheels.
Old 08-26-19, 02:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by em_525
I had a set of wheels from VO on my old Colnago Master, a while ago. I never had any issue with them at all. I'd buy from them again, no worries.
Ditto to all the above (except mine's not a Colnago).