Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why SRAM Red derailleurs suck.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-15-11, 10:31 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I finally got around to cleaning my bike today, and while the chain was off I figured it was a good time to switch out the Red FD to the Force FD I've had laying around. I meant to change it sooner because I've had very inconsistent performance with the Red FD ever since I installed the Red gruppo.

I don't think the Red FD sucks because it's titanium. I think it sucks because of the stupid cage design. I just took some pics with my phone and if you look you can see how the inside of the cage curves away from the chain ring. There are scratch marks all over this area that indicate where the chain is getting hung up. I think this is why the chain doesn't want to positively jump up to the big ring.

The Force FD, OTOH, is shaped much more like an Ultegra FD. The inner plate is more vertical and has a lip that looks like it's meant to positively pop the chain on to the teeth of the big ring.

So why the hell does SRAM insist on producing this stupid Red cage when it clearly doesn't work as well as Rival, Force, Ultegra, DA, etc?? It's the only one that has this stupid cage design, and it's the only one that gets bad reviews. They could easily keep the cage titanium and just shape it like the Force FD. Why they don't beats me.

Last edited by ilovecycling; 09-15-11 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 11:02 PM
tylerwal

Bikes: Scattante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty interesting, I've heard many times of pro's and others using Force over Red because of the titanium cage, you never hear anything about a different cage design

there must be some technical reason that they designed the cage in that fashion, even if it was a flawed one
Old 09-15-11, 11:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I got a Force FD when I switched frames (clamp on to braze on) and I didn't want to drop the major coin for Red a second time. Haven't noticed much difference. I've heard the best bang for the buck is Red shifters and Force or Rival everything else. Of course, I've heard that on BF so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-16-11, 03:15 AM
CATS
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i read a known pro in the TDF switched his front derailler to force because of somthing, i forget who it was.
Old 09-16-11, 03:18 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have heard this time and again. Guys riding Red with Force FD's.
Old 09-16-11, 04:26 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No problems here.
Old 09-16-11, 04:32 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Why not test your theory by tweaking the RED cage into a more appropriate shape?

Maybe you can come up with a simple fix.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-16-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 06:16 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am going to print this thread and bring it across the street to the SRAM facility and see what they say. I think they are a bunch or engineers, so what better place to get a response?
Old 09-16-11, 06:27 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by CATS
i read a known pro in the TDF switched his front derailler to force because of somthing, i forget who it was.
He switched to Di2.
Old 09-16-11, 06:40 AM
alexvpaq

Bikes: A trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
I am going to print this thread and bring it across the street to the SRAM facility and see what they say. I think they are a bunch or engineers, so what better place to get a response?
what are you waiting for. GO, do it.
Old 09-16-11, 08:00 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
SRAM knows the titanium cage isn't as good as the steel. Hence, why you can buy the steel cage Red version FD now. The pro teams have switched them a long time ago for more consistent shifting to the big ring. The titanium flexes too much, it isn't necessarily the design and the curves, more the material.

Put a steel cage on there, it will be golden. Also, mine shifts fine pretty much 90% of the time. Once in awhile going up to the big ring, it takes two attempts...but that could be many things, like the chainrings themselves etc...

But, I'm going to switch to a steel cage and test it anyway and see if it helps.

Somebody said if you call SRAM and complain, they will send you a steel cage no charge. I'm going to give that a try, but the titanium, although saves a few grams, isn't as good as the steel one.

Also, the thread title is misleading, you make a blanket statement that all SRAM derailleurs suck....which I guess all the pros and major wins they have on SRAM Red is a miracle and their stuff didn't shred and fall apart during a race.

Last edited by zigmeister; 09-16-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 08:24 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Also, the thread title is misleading, you make a blanket statement that all SRAM derailleurs suck....which I guess all the pros and major wins they have on SRAM Red is a miracle and their stuff didn't shred and fall apart during a race.
The thread title specifically calls out Red FDs, not all sram. And maybe the OP didn't know there was a steel version, which is apparently what the pro's are winning on.
Old 09-16-11, 08:36 AM
W F Collins

Bikes: 2012 S Works Tarmac SL4, 2013 Allez Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride full Red w/ an Ultegra 6700 FD and enjoy it. Only 20 grams heavier I think. Same throw ratio, but the shifter climb is much MUCH smoother. Shimano uses less spring tension than SRAM, so you don't feel like something just broke in your left shifter every time you down shift; Nor do you have to train w/ a grip master to upshift. I ran a Force FD for a bit to try it out, and I use that FD on my commuter, but I enjoy the Shimano smooth more.
Old 09-16-11, 08:42 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I called SRAM myself and spoke to a nice woman named Danielle. If you have any questions about this, call them at 800-346-2928 - they answer quickly. It is their policy (and a good one) for vendors not to get involved in threads like this in a public forum (I haven't seen BD Mike in forever), but she said the Red Ti FD needs to be very carefully adjusted for minimal wear, but then this goes for any FD I am aware of.
Old 09-16-11, 08:50 AM
McTufferton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
The thread title specifically calls out Red FDs, not all sram. And maybe the OP didn't know there was a steel version, which is apparently what the pro's are winning on.
You might want to read the title again...
Old 09-16-11, 08:50 AM
mazdatech10
master auto tech

Bikes: ,system six ss, , caad9 cross, supersix evo hm, giant omiuim

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mine shifts prefect, i'm using compact. did shift like **** with zipp cranks but with fsa rings pops up fast, my other bike has force fd and its no faster with cannondale rings. i think most of it is adjustment and using standard rings
Old 09-16-11, 09:08 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
No problems here either.
Old 09-16-11, 09:12 AM
markrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a Red FD from Bonktown recently. Figured for $75.00 I would take a chance. Will be using either a Force or Red compact crank. I bet it will work just fine.
Old 09-16-11, 09:28 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by McTufferton
You might want to read the title again...
Ah, he should have said FD. But it does specify Red and not "all SRAM".
Old 09-16-11, 09:33 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Must... not... stoop to SRAM-fanboi's level... must... not... tout Dura Ace 7800's superiority in a SRAM thread...
Old 09-16-11, 10:03 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by W F Collins
I ride full Red w/ an Ultegra 6700 FD and enjoy it.
So you have a Red brifter controlling an Ultegra 6700 FD... was there any black magic to setting it up?
Old 09-16-11, 10:57 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tylerwal
pretty interesting, I've heard many times of pro's and others using Force over Red because of the titanium cage, you never hear anything about a different cage design
The cage being made of titanium is WHY it's a crappy design. Stamping shapes into titanium is not very easy like it is with steel parts. It's just not as tough of a metal so the formability is very low. To attempt to put sharp bends in it (like you can with steel) will weaken it tremendously.
Old 09-16-11, 11:03 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
No problems here.
+1.
Old 09-16-11, 11:59 AM
andrewluke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
So you have a Red brifter controlling an Ultegra 6700 FD... was there any black magic to setting it up?
FD is not a problem. I ran a 6700 for a while as well while saving for a Red. Everyone at the LBS recommended the Force instead so I went that route anyway but the Force and Ultegra shifted very similarly.
Old 09-16-11, 12:06 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about the title guys. Yes, it is a little misleading. It was late when I posted it and I couldn't go back and edit it to say "Why SRAM Red front derailleurs suck."

I didn't know SRAM sells steel cage Red FDs. I thought they only provided these for the pros, not the average joe.

I don't think the issue is the titanium material itself. There was a metallurgist around here that commented in a thread that ti is actually stiffer than steel. When I give both cages a squeeze, one doesn't seem to flex more than the other. Maybe the manufacturing process of the ti cage limits the shape possibilities, but again, I don't think it's because of the material itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.