Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth repairing or just buy new?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 03:22 PM
Birdlover99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a huffy mountain bike from 15 years or so ago that seems to be in very good condition except for needing new tires. I was planning on just replacing the tires and tubes but now wonder if its even worth it or if i should just buy a new bike.
The bike is a Huffy Mt. Echo 26" Ladies 18 Speed ATB Model #26631. Suggestions? If I do replace tires and tubes does anyone have any suggestions for brands and such?
Old 04-23-18, 03:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Huffy made bikes that were pretty heavy and not top quality. You probably should check with your LBS to see if they have something within your budget. Even the low-priced LBS offerings are likely to be more fun to pedal than the Huffy.

If the LBS offerings are beyond your budget, ask if they have something used or if they can give you a few minutes of help with Craigslist, assuming you can create some rapport with the sales person. If you can't, ask if they know of a local bike club - my bet is that every member you approach will be happy to help you with CL.
Old 04-23-18, 03:53 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
As long as it works for your particular needs, ride it. As far as tires and tubes, any brand that fits the rim will work.
Old 04-23-18, 04:21 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
It depends on your plans with the bike. If you just take it around the block once a year, buy some cheap tires. If you commute to work on it daily, you'd be better off with a nicer bike.

Random Huffy Mt Echo from Google:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mt Echo.jpg (49.0 KB, 382 views)
Old 04-23-18, 04:36 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
As long as it works for your particular needs, ride it. As far as tires and tubes, any brand that fits the rim will work.
Agreed. No need for a new bike as long as this one fits your needs. It would take tires/tubes in the common 26" MTB size. They're available in various widths but minor variations from what you have now should still work fine. Unless you'll be riding in dirt or other loose surfaces I'd choose some tires with minimal tread. They'll weigh a little less and, most importantly, roll more efficiently. The big knobs found on many MTB tires use up energy when they squirm on the road surface so I'd avoid them if you're mainly riding on hard asphalt or cement surfaces.
Old 04-23-18, 05:13 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6

I bought a Huffy back in 1992. I had no idea what the difference between a quality an low quality bike. I just rode it! I was mid twenties then and rode it on a few 60 mile rides. It got me there.

Once I saw the difference between my bike and others, I knew I wanted something better, like quick release wheels. I got tired of lugging around wrenches and ratchets for flat repairs.

So yeah if it works for you, do it!

New tires might run you $50 for decent tires (set) imo but a new bike will cost hundreds if you want to go up in quality. The choice is yours.

My Huffy was $150. My next bike was $400 and there was a huge difference.
Old 04-23-18, 05:17 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I spent 50 bucks for new bell tires at walmart. They are 'flat defense' and seem to be holding up even though I am tall and hefty.

May as well ride it til it gives out, then if you are still riding you can consider buying a new one. Don't believe the hype though, a 5000 bike is still just a bike.
Old 04-23-18, 05:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on any Huffy new or old. It isn't worth it when anything you add will likely cost more than the bike is worth. The bike probably wasn't ever properly put together so a tune-up and tires/tubes would put you in the realm of a brand new Wally-Mart special which is going to be of the same low quality and poor craftsmanship of the current bike but will be new.
Old 04-24-18, 02:33 AM
Birdlover99

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
It depends on your plans with the bike. If you just take it around the block once a year, buy some cheap tires. If you commute to work on it daily, you'd be better off with a nicer bike.

Random Huffy Mt Echo from Google:
That's the one I got. It use to be one to my mom but she never rode it. Told us that the excercise made her sick. Lol. Stored in garage for 15 years.
Old 04-24-18, 04:36 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
The biggest problem is on how this was initially setup out of the box. Usually there's no real grease on anything. If you can find a savvy bike mechanic that will regrease the hubs and Ashtabula crank then it's just fine to ride, but ...

... then the other problem is they often used stamped steel hubs that often are junky. They'll just never spin very well.

As others have asked, how will you ride this? For $300 you could probably find a (used) bike ready to ride that's light years better then the huffy. Stay away from Walmart, Target, etc. Check to see if you have a bike co-op in your area.
Old 04-24-18, 07:12 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ride it.
Old 04-24-18, 11:04 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If you're just using it for pooltling around the neighborhood, riding to the park, library, whatever, it'll do fine.

You're probably looking at $40-50 for tires and tubes. $15-20 per tire, and $5/ea for tubes.

Get a 'cruiser' style tire with a low-profile tread, it'll ride much nicer than the cheap 'knobbies' it came with.

This is one place where you might be able to save by going in to a local bike shop. Tell them you're looking for a basic, cheap pair of tires; they may have some take-offs in the back, that they'll let go for cheap.
Old 04-24-18, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yes, Pretty fast to reach the repair that cost more than the bike was new..
Old 04-24-18, 04:45 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Since the bike has not failed you for 15 years, I'd go ahead and keep on riding it until you feel the need for a new one. You'll know by then if you do.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-24-18, 07:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
get the cheapest tire with road profile, would be less than $50. Look at $30 for the set.
You may not need tubes, they really don't age and can be patched.

if the bike is fine, go for the tires. If you want better, buy better.

Not sure why almost everyone here recommends a new bike because you replace wear item..
Old 04-25-18, 04:47 AM
jf19451

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would make sure it is the right size for you before anything else.
Old 04-25-18, 09:02 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Your second post in this thread says it all: "Stored in garage for 15 years." Any bike that has been stored that long unused will have some need for repairs. Things like replacing brake pads and other rubber parts that have hardened over the years. Old, hardened brake pads are far less effective than softer, new ones. Tires are likely to fail after 15 years.

When I work on a bike this old I also check all the places that have bearings for proper lubrication. It may never have been done on a cheap bike. Or like the rubber, the grease may has congealed over the years. It is NEVER cost effective to take a bike like this to a bike shop for a "tune up". Labor is too expensive and it is for certain that it will cost more than the bike cost when brand new. BTW, I would never waste the time on restoring an entry level Huffy. Reserve that for a bike that was good to start with.
Old 04-25-18, 11:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Not sure why almost everyone here recommends a new bike
Because it's a Walmart bike.
Old 04-25-18, 11:13 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I wouldn't put any money into any Huffy. They are low end bike shaped objects. If you can get it up and running as is, that is fine. It might be marginally ok, but the components are not good.

I would look for something better, either new or used.
Old 04-25-18, 11:16 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
bette

Not sure why almost everyone here recommends a new bike because you replace wear item..
because it is a cheap, poor quality bike shaped object, and you could easily spend more on repairs than the bike is worth, since it is basically worth nothing.
Old 04-25-18, 11:33 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I didnt read past Huffy....
Old 04-25-18, 12:03 PM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but you don't need a LBS bike to ride around your block and decorate your garage. Poster needs to chime in with what she plans on doing before anybody can offer useful advice.
Old 04-25-18, 05:20 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Its like the old joke about the old car that doubled in value every time you filled the gas tank. Only you can decide. I hate throw away products. I would buy the tires, but that's just me. I spent way more than I should have, restoring a scrap metal pile Raleigh Super Course from a bare frame. I would have been lucky if all it needed was tires. I love the bike, no regrets, it's not all about the money if it's a bike you like. If not, donate it and move on.
Old 04-25-18, 05:25 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Its like the old joke about the old car that doubled in value every time you filled the gas tank. Only you can decide. I hate throw away products. I would buy the tires, but that's just me. I spent way more than I should have, restoring a scrap metal pile Raleigh Super Course from a bare frame. I would have been lucky if all it needed was tires. I love the bike, no regrets, it's not all about the money if it's a bike you like. If not, donate it and move on.
Except a Raleigh Super Course was, in its day, a more than decent bike. (didn't it have Reynolds main tubes?). The Huffy was a hunk of junk when it was new. There are lots of fine vintage frames worth restoring if that is your thing.

Retro Raleighs: The Super Course
Old 04-25-18, 05:47 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Save your money. Try to get decent tires and tubes off another mountain bike that somebody is tossing out. Otherwise, it is best to invest in a better new or used bike. You will notice the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.