Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Educate me about wheel upgrades

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-21-18, 11:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 140 Posts

Background: I tore up my freehub on my Crosstrail due to a bad ball bearing. All the bearing components needed to be replaced.

Guy at the bike shop asked if I wanted to fix the bearing for $30 or get new wheels with overall better parts for $130 each. So we're talking entry level hand built wheels, not high end hand built wheels that cost more than the bike.

I opted to fix the busted hub but now I'm wondering if there is an advantage to 'better' wheels.

I've got normal stock machine built wheels on my Crosstrail. Noting fancy but they are round and if I put the bike up on a rack and spin the wheels they will keep spinning for a couple minutes. So nice clean wheel bearings. No wobble.

What advantage does a hand built wheel put together by a LBS have? (Other than making the shop more money than a hub repair) Do they have better bearings that spin better under a full load?

Are they even remotely worth considering for a Crosstrail?

RELATED QUESTION

I had thought about getting an extra set of wheels anyway (cheap ones) to keep more aggressive tires on so I could quickly swap out the tires if I'm going on paved roads today but a gravel trail tomorrow. Can I do that with disc brakes? Is it a problem to switch brake rotors like that when you swap a wheel? (Assuming the rotors are the same thickness and aligned correctly and all that)
Old 06-21-18, 03:23 PM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post

What advantage does a hand built wheel put together by a LBS have? (Other than making the shop more money than a hub repair) Do they have better bearings that spin better under a full load?

Are they even remotely worth considering for a Crosstrail?
No real advantage unless you want a specific wheel that isn't readily available at an affordable price. If there is nothing wrong with wheel except the freehub then replace the freehub and maybe have a professional truing. However I've been toying with building a wheel set reusing my existing hubs but with wide tubeless 36h machined rims and a mix of triple and double butted spokes.

If you love your Crosstail, it's worth it.
Old 06-21-18, 05:28 PM
hokiefyd

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 1997 Trek 750, 1981 Peugeot PBN10, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 95 Posts
You might ask the bike shop what components they would use in the build. If they're using cheap parts (cheap rim, cheap spokes, etc), then there may not be any real difference in those and your current wheels. The biggest area of improvement over your current wheels will probably be weight, but the bike shop will have to use nicer (light weight) parts in order to come out with a wheel that's lighter and just as strong (or stronger).

Myself...I'd probably fix the freehub and keep enjoying the bike.
Old 06-21-18, 06:09 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2146 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not to be dismissive of a hybrid, but this is not a bike to particularly worry about performance enhancements. It is bike that is supposed to be comfortable and trouble free, which a less expensive wheelset can do very well.
Old 06-21-18, 06:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Quoted: 3286 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Not to be dismissive of a hybrid, but this is not a bike to particularly worry about performance enhancements. It is bike that is supposed to be comfortable and trouble free, which a less expensive wheelset can do very well.
Which is not to say that it would not be advantageous to upgrade a hybrid since the enhancements would still carry through. The advantage of owning a hybrid is its versatility. It is the cycling world's "jack of all trades."

One of the first upgrades I made to my hybrid was to narrower 28 from 32 for more road worthy tires since I rarely ever left the tarmac.
Old 06-21-18, 07:00 PM
Kontact

Quoted: 2146 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Which is not to say that it would not be advantageous to upgrade a hybrid since the enhancements would still carry through. The advantage of owning a hybrid is its versatility. It is the cycling world's "jack of all trades."

One of the first upgrades I made to my hybrid was to narrower 28 from 32 for more road worthy tires since I rarely ever left the tarmac.
Not saying that upgrades aren't worthwhile, but some upgrades don't make the bike better in an appreciable way, and can make a trusty machine less robust.
Old 06-21-18, 09:13 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
For $130 they likely use cheap components, may as well buy a stock wheel. and hand-built only is good when the wheel builder is really good. If they just have an average mechanic built it, and this being a cheap one, chances are it isn't much better than machine-built.
A good rear hub (think Shimano SLX or higher), double-butted spokes and brand name rim will cost close to or more than $130 in material.

As for swapping wheels, with different hubs chances are the dis rotor and cassette are at slightly different position and require RD and caliper adjustment. Adjusting those all the time can get old quick. You may be better off getting an N+1 bike and have each bike built for the purpose (road vs. off road etc.)
Old 06-22-18, 08:40 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 140 Posts
I already have fixed the freehub. I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on new wheels when the shop offered that option. So I just said 'fix it and I'll look into wheels later'.

You've all basically told me what I suspected, that there isn't much benefit to getting slightly nicer wheels. So I'll stick witch what I have.

I kind of decided that last night when I went out fro a 10 mile run around town focusing on the wheels. I didn't have any problem getting going to 20 mph in the flats. Going up hills didn't feel like the wheels were holding me back. Going down hills everything was spinning nicely. No vibrations or weird noises. And in 10 miles up and down rolling hills across good roads, bumpy bad roads, railroad tracks, and one 100 yrd stretch across a grassy field....it was a nice enjoyable ride. I couldn't convince myself that fancier wheels would make me suddenly not have to pedal as hard or make the bike fly or something.

Thank you all for your feedback!
Old 06-24-18, 10:58 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only advantage I see (if you are a bigger guy) is building a 36 spoke rear for durability.
Old 06-25-18, 11:49 AM
altondavis2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced my standard wheels with a set of Shimano wheels $250), what a difference.

They just purrrrrrrrrr. The stock wheels were ok, but what a difference.
Old 06-25-18, 02:53 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2 View Post
I replaced my standard wheels with a set of Shimano wheels $250), what a difference.

They just purrrrrrrrrr. The stock wheels were ok, but what a difference.
What were the stock wheels and which Shimano wheels did you get?
Old 07-02-18, 02:13 AM
altondavis2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Defy 5 came with stock wheels, I replaced with Shimano RS 21's
Old 07-02-18, 09:07 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I spent a of time truing my wheels after some long rough rides last year. Over the winter I had a pair of wheels made for me by the LBS. Now I just clean and oil the drive train here and there.