Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How Pure Is Your Tap Water?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How Pure Is Your Tap Water?

Old 08-19-19, 07:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 166 Posts
Didn't expect this thread to reveal unhinged lunatics to be added to my ignore list but here we are.
Old 08-19-19, 03:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 9282 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Even IF you can find a Scientific reference demonstrating the benefits of adding fluoride to our tap water, what you are left with is, population wide medication against peoples will and without evidence that the medication is needed for all recipients.

Its a serious breech of Scientific and Medical ethics. Serious breech. Its no better than Religious people insisting that everyone MUST be Christian or their going to Hell.

In reality the best that the Fluoride compound that's added to our water supply can be is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Its not elemental fluoride as found in our teeth.
So vaccines and drinking water are both conspiracies?
Old 08-19-19, 04:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9585 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
For cyclists the most likely way to get botulism is from a baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil stashed in jersey for mid ride snack.
How long are you leaving the potato in your Jersey Pocket?

You're probably better of lining the bike helmet with the tin foil.

Don't forget to stop by your doctor's office to get a botulism anti-wrinkle treatment.
Old 08-19-19, 04:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Don't feed the troll, it'll only get us moved to P&R
Old 08-19-19, 05:21 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Don't feed the troll, it'll only get us moved to P&R

yeah…if that happens the op’s and a few others foolishness will also be lost to the larger audience here..
Old 08-19-19, 05:29 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
How long are you leaving the potato in your Jersey Pocket?

You're probably better of lining the bike helmet with the tin foil.

Don't forget to stop by your doctor's office to get a botulism anti-wrinkle treatment.
All it takes is a couple hours.

I suggest a quick search on botulism and baked potato before unleashing further snark.
Old 08-19-19, 05:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

You're both right.
Old 08-19-19, 06:01 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Don't get the thread sent to P&R.
I've clearly stated what's going on in my post that you've quoted. Read it again.
Ask yourself if a Doctor has assessed a patient before giving them a script to drink fluoridated water?
Old 08-19-19, 06:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9585 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
All it takes is a couple hours.

I suggest a quick search on botulism and baked potato before unleashing further snark.
Interesting. The issue appears to be specific with cooking potatoes wrapped in foil. The potatoes have botulism on the surface which is killed by cooking, and the toxin destroyed. However, spores may survive in foil wrapped potatoes, but less likely to survive on potatoes baked without foil.

I saw one report of foil wrapped potatoes apparently being left overnight, but generally the issues reported are from cooked potatoes being left out for days or weeks.

The only time I've wrapped potatoes in foil was barbecuing them, and I think that involved both grilling and tossing the foil wrapped potatoes directly into the fire/coals.
Old 08-19-19, 06:33 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
Old 08-19-19, 07:08 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 302 Posts
From the book, "How To Make Your Own Botox at Home."
Old 08-19-19, 07:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Ask yourself if a Doctor has assessed a patient before giving them a script to drink fluoridated water?
One time, I helped an old lady cross the street, but I never saw an Official Scientific Hypothesis proving cars were dangerous to that particular lady.
Old 08-19-19, 07:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
yeah…if that happens the op’s and a few others foolishness will also be lost to the larger audience here..
Sorry. I can't help it. It's like being hungry, and seeing a barrel of fish with a gun next to it.
Old 09-01-19, 07:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I wouldn't know. I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol.
Get this guy a sarsaparilla and make mine Scottish.
Old 09-01-19, 07:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
Didn't expect this thread to reveal unhinged lunatics to be added to my ignore list but here we are.
Dude, it's FOO, better than a direct mail campaign.
Old 09-04-19, 03:24 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 28 Posts
On a more serious note, a scientific analysis of the TAPWATER (AUGUSTA .....those competing in the Augusta 70.3 IRONMAN on Sept 29, 2019 or visiting in April 2020 to see The Masters just might be interested)

2018 WATER QUALITY REPORT:
https://www.augustaga.gov/DocumentCe...staCCR-English

2017 WATER QUALITY REPORT

To View Each of the annual WATER QUALITY REPORTS from the year 2004 through year 2016:
https://www.augustaga.gov/751/Consumer-Reports

--------------------------------------------------------
I am certain that you'll see there in those reports that the TAP water there is very safe and considered very high quality for most any municipal water supply.
I'd think that most all medium and large cities in the USA are required to routinely thoroughly test the water supply and publish the findings.

Now, the Savannah River has never been exactly clean but in recent decades, The River Keeper and better public awareness has helped improve things slightly.
I did not tell friends that were competing in the Augusta 70.3 IRONMAN last year in September about the very large aligator that was spotted several times during July and August 2018. It was spotted in the vicinity of the Swimming portion and also along the docks of the riverfront homes of North Augusta SC.
The Savannah River has plenty of aligators but they mostly are downriver in the more wilderness, swampy, land that time forgot areas, that doesn't see as much recreational use. Last year, there was one small 6 foot gator that made it inland and was in the middle of 3rd street/ 4th street, at least a half mile from the river.
The Savannah River between 5th and 13th street (GA AVENUE to North Augusta SC) is typically awash with boat fuel and street oil runoff from cars that washes into the river after rains. Someone joked that since they have cleaned up the River, removing sunken and half sunken houseboats, and since the Augusta Southern National Dragboat Races are no longer held, that the Aligators have determined that this part of the river is now clean enough for them to congregate in.
You shouldn't worry as they will relocate any, if there are any within a mile of the competition area in the river prior to the Ironman.
The current can be strong at times, especially if it is windy.
------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone old enough to remember the classic from The Standells called "DIRTY WATER". It was a staple for every band playing in small clubs and bars about fifty years ago.
Well, folks in Denmark, South Carolina and Flint, Michigan probably don't agree. I just cannot see them singing along: "I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER"... because the problem in those two places is way beyond serious!

Your municipal water supply that comes into your tap is likely very good.
You can probably obtain the latest published test results.
There is no reason not to drink water directly from the tap if your municipal water supply is rated good.
Unless you have serious kidney or serious liver problems, there is probably no risk to consuming tap water straight from your tap, without adding any filtration system.
Old 09-04-19, 05:17 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
On a more serious note, a scientific analysis of the TAPWATER (AUGUSTA .....those competing in the Augusta 70.3 IRONMAN on Sept 29, 2019 or visiting in April 2020 to see The Masters just might be interested)

2018 WATER QUALITY REPORT:

2017 WATER QUALITY REPORT

To View Each of the annual WATER QUALITY REPORTS from the year 2004 through year 2016:
https://www.augustaga.gov/751/Consumer-Reports

--------------------------------------------------------
I am certain that you'll see there in those reports that the TAP water there is very safe and considered very high quality for most any municipal water supply.
I'd think that most all medium and large cities in the USA are required to routinely thoroughly test the water supply and publish the findings.

Now, the Savannah River has never been exactly clean but in recent decades, The River Keeper and better public awareness has helped improve things slightly.
I did not tell friends that were competing in the Augusta 70.3 IRONMAN last year in September about the very large aligator that was spotted several times during July and August 2018. It was spotted in the vicinity of the Swimming portion and also along the docks of the riverfront homes of North Augusta SC.
The Savannah River has plenty of aligators but they mostly are downriver in the more wilderness, swampy, land that time forgot areas, that doesn't see as much recreational use. Last year, there was one small 6 foot gator that made it inland and was in the middle of 3rd street/ 4th street, at least a half mile from the river.
The Savannah River between 5th and 13th street (GA AVENUE to North Augusta SC) is typically awash with boat fuel and street oil runoff from cars that washes into the river after rains. Someone joked that since they have cleaned up the River, removing sunken and half sunken houseboats, and since the Augusta Southern National Dragboat Races are no longer held, that the Aligators have determined that this part of the river is now clean enough for them to congregate in.
You shouldn't worry as they will relocate any, if there are any within a mile of the competition area in the river prior to the Ironman.
The current can be strong at times, especially if it is windy.
------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone old enough to remember the classic from The Standells called "DIRTY WATER". It was a staple for every band playing in small clubs and bars about fifty years ago.
Well, folks in Denmark, South Carolina and Flint, Michigan probably don't agree. I just cannot see them singing along: "I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER"... because the problem in those two places is way beyond serious!

Your municipal water supply that comes into your tap is likely very good.
You can probably obtain the latest published test results.
There is no reason not to drink water directly from the tap if your municipal water supply is rated good.
Unless you have serious kidney or serious liver problems, there is probably no risk to consuming tap water straight from your tap, without adding any filtration system.
$18.5 billion. That's the value of the bottled water industry. You may be right, but nevertheless, that seems like a lot of people that aren't as convinced as you are. It could be fantastic adverting or that people just don't trust the government agencies -- all those contaminated water instances.

The municipal water may be pure as rain when it leaves the plant, but it still has to go through 80 year old pipes (they just recently upgraded mine) before it reaches my tap. Even if my home filtered water isn't any safer, it still tastes better. And that alone is worth the price of admission for me.
Old 09-04-19, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
$18.5 billion. That's the value of the bottled water industry. You may be right, but nevertheless, that seems like a lot of people that aren't as convinced as you are. It could be fantastic adverting or that people just don't trust the government agencies -- all those contaminated water instances.
People are stupid. And/or bottled water tastes better to a lot of people, and they're willing to pay for that better taste.
Old 09-18-19, 09:20 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
When the Comanche ran out of water on the Texas - New Mexico Plains they ingested the fluid from a Buffalo's stomach just killed. The Texas Rangers were also horsemen who started out as protection for settlers from Comanche raids especially. None of them could successfully ingest the fluid from a Buffalo's stomach.

It must be even worse than Amarillo tap water.
Old 09-18-19, 09:27 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
People are stupid. And/or bottled water tastes better to a lot of people, and they're willing to pay for that better taste.
I pay for the bottles to fill with tap water (not Amarillo tap water) and store in the frig to take outside while working on some task. I keep those to use again when they're empty. I might ditch them after a few months for new ones.