Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Saw a cyclist get hit today.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 08:32 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

Actually I didn't see the impact. He flew by me in traffic while I was in my car. He was coming along a highway and headed into a business district with very narrow streets. I watched him leave the street go up on the sidewalk, barely slowing down at all. I thought that was odd. One block later I saw him under an SUV. He crossed a blind alley as the SUV was pulling out and he got hit. It was a sickening feeling to see it. He was sitting up and coherent when I arrived, with plenty of help all around. I sure hope he is okay.

I don't know any of the details, but it sure seemed avoidable. Terrible situation.
Old 08-30-19, 09:00 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Tldr: Guy does something stupid, gets put on his arse, is given another chance to learn.
Old 08-31-19, 06:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
One block later I saw him under an SUV.
Maybe it was consensual. Who are we to judge?

Which it was, in a sense, since his careless sidewalk riding caused him to assume this rather submissive position.

Hopefully this was a teaching moment for him about the dangers of "taking the sidewalk".
Old 08-31-19, 05:46 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Sad to hear when this happens. What happens next is going to depend on local and state laws. If the state and local laws allow riding on the sidewalk, then likely it was the driver at fault. Assuming the bike was at or below posted speed limits. When cars pull out from a blind ally, it's really up to them to do so slowly and check for any and all cross traffic (that bike just as easily could have been a pedestrian). Now if the local laws makes it illegal to ride on the sidewalk, the driver will likely not face any fines.

While I prefer people ride in the street, there are cases and places where it is safer to ride on the sidewalk. In my 8km daily commute, about 700m is done on the sidewalk in a narrow business district. If cities would just install safe, dedicated, and separate, bicycle specific infra the problem could be avoided.
Old 09-01-19, 08:10 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
.... If cities would just install safe, dedicated, and separate, bicycle specific infra the problem could be avoided.
This should be tatooed, in reverse script, on every politician's forehead.... Unfortunately, what we see as an unnecessary waste of human life/potential and suffering, is seen by them as "the cost of doing business".
Old 09-01-19, 08:24 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I've only seen one cyclist get hit in front of my eyes.

The cyclist was riding on the shoulder of a road against traffic (salmoning) coming up to an intersection. SUV was turning right at that intersection and didn't see the cyclist before making the turn. The cyclist came into the intersection at same time the SUV was turning.

The cyclist appeared to have a broken leg, but she lived.
Old 09-01-19, 08:34 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
This should be tatooed, in reverse script, on every politician's forehead.... Unfortunately, what we see as an unnecessary waste of human life/potential and suffering, is seen by them as "the cost of doing business".
And speaking of "the cost of doing business", who's supposed to fund this nationwide (or is it global?) multi-billion dollar project ? It's real easy to flippantly decree what "they need to do", it's quite another to realistically work it into the budget, among all the other things "they need to do".
Old 09-01-19, 08:47 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've only seen one cyclist get hit in front of my eyes.

The cyclist was riding on the shoulder of a road against traffic (salmoning) coming up to an intersection. SUV was turning right at that intersection and didn't see the cyclist before making the turn. The cyclist came into the intersection at same time the SUV was turning.

The cyclist appeared to have a broken leg, but she lived.
I've seen it once. Guy on a bike riding down an MUT paralleling a major arterial...but like most it crossed many residential and commercial driveways. Well, it crossed a mini-mart parking lot. Car decides to squeal its tires and do a burn-out in the parking lot and drive straight into the 4-lane arterial at max acceleration without slowing down at the driveway.

Bicyclist got t-boned and never saw it coming, he was thrown at least 30 feet into the arterial....traffic was low, so he didn't get squished after being t-boned.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-96.6559742
Old 09-01-19, 10:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Are cities installing mirrors on blind alleys? Do they help with seeing sidewalks?
Old 09-01-19, 11:52 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The cost of just one cruise missile.... Fences.... Infrastructure improvement within the country, using local labor is a boon!
Happy Labor Day!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-01-19, 10:34 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
The cost of just one cruise missile.... Fences.... Infrastructure improvement within the country, using local labor is a boon!
Happy Labor Day!
Half of the DOD budget could do amazing things for our infrastructure. And heck, call it a "defense project" just like they did in 1956 for the national highway act.
Old 09-02-19, 06:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
In my 8km daily commute, about 700m is done on the sidewalk in a narrow business district. If cities would just install safe, dedicated, and separate, bicycle specific infra the problem could be avoided.
There are a lot of cities here in the states that don't have the money to maintain the roads they have, let alone create new infrastructure. If you live in a country where all the cities have that kind of money, consider yourself blessed.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-02-19, 07:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Near Home

Yesterday, a bicyclist was hit, from behind, on the road I live on. https://www.delawareonline.com/story...rd/2189389001/. I did not witness the accident but it happened less than 1/2 mile from my home. The whole road is only 3 miles long but it gets alot of use as part of the quickest way to get to the beach in summertime/weekend traffic. That includes a lot of cyclists. I ride on it most days at least once, and numerous times some days. Also, yesterday, I almost was hit from behind, different area, by a vehicle trying to pass me in a no passing zone and heading into a curve with limited visibility. A vehicle was coming from the opposite direction and the passing driver from behind me had to slam on his brakes and swerve back into the lane we were traveling in. I heard his tires squeal and I just held my line. Fortunately, time and distance were in my favor this time.
Old 09-03-19, 04:50 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
more walking + more cycling + more hybrid/electric vehicles = less fuel taxes collected, fewer $$$$ for road improvement. Where's the funding going to come from? OH YEAH, Social Security
Old 09-03-19, 09:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
more walking + more cycling + more hybrid/electric vehicles = less fuel taxes collected, fewer $$$$ for road improvement. Where's the funding going to come from? OH YEAH, Social Security
Car infrastructures are a net cost to taxpayers. Bicycle infrastructures result in net savings.
Old 09-03-19, 09:14 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I'm a fan of dedicated bike lanes, but that doesn't stop cars from going into them. As far as riding on or across sidewalks, you need to be aware of the obstacles, not only cars, but pedestrians. Guy is lucky he didn't end up with a hot exhaust burning on him.
Old 09-04-19, 04:49 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sad to hear when this happens. What happens next is going to depend on local and state laws. If the state and local laws allow riding on the sidewalk, then likely it was the driver at fault. Assuming the bike was at or below posted speed limits. When cars pull out from a blind ally, it's really up to them to do so slowly and check for any and all cross traffic (that bike just as easily could have been a pedestrian). Now if the local laws makes it illegal to ride on the sidewalk, the driver will likely not face any fines.

While I prefer people ride in the street, there are cases and places where it is safer to ride on the sidewalk. In my 8km daily commute, about 700m is done on the sidewalk in a narrow business district. If cities would just install safe, dedicated, and separate, bicycle specific infra the problem could be avoided.
The bicyclist I see riding on a sidewalk are ALL riding a LOT faster than a pedestrian walks.

Cheers