Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Computer on your hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Computer on your hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 06:26 AM
KTaylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer on your hybrid?

Hello,

I'm about to get a Trek DS 2 and need a computer. Only looking for speed and Trip speed. Hearing about gps and computers that use your phone nowadays. Why do y'all like and recommended and why? Thanks!
Old 06-26-17, 06:44 AM
ad18

Bikes: TREK FX3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently investigated and ended up with a Garmin Edge 20. My initial purchase, via Amazon, was a Lezyne Mini GPS. Unit would not sync with my laptop, online Lezyne software did not work, gps firmware upgrade software did not work, and tech support said to return for replacement/refund. I chose refund. Online vendor credited me $10 to help cover return postage but then added 20% restocking fee. Refused to waiver saying it was not his fault unit did not work. Lezyne returned for refund and ordered Garmin immediately. Garmin arrived, all online software worked, and unit works like a champ. I'll never contemplate a Lezyne product again.
Old 06-26-17, 07:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Use your phone. Install Strava or Map my Ride.

If you have a Samsung phone then you have the S Health app built in to track cycling.
Old 06-26-17, 07:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I'm interested in this conversation -- was going to ask a similar question. I've been using my phone with an app called Urban Biker. Great user interface, but it doesn't save my rides in the cloud. I guess Strava and Map my Ride probably do that. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't do social media, but I would like a record of my stuff in the cloud so *I* can go back and see my history.
Old 06-26-17, 07:30 AM
1911bg

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am using this and it works great and is easy to see.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 06-26-17, 07:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most serious cyclists I know locally use Garmins but those are way too expensive for my budget. Some cost more than my entire bike.

I just use my old iPhone 4s and apps. Mostly Cyclemeter, occasionally Wahoo Fitness, both of which can share data to Strava. Wahoo Fitness is completely free. Strava's free version is fully functional.

The only restriction with Cyclemeter was that I couldn't share data to Strava until I paid the very small annual fee, about $10. Worthwhile -- Cyclemeter is very feature rich and now works with Android phones as well. It tracks my routes, times and speeds more accurately than Strava even when my phone loses GPS sync. When the GPS sync fails Strava shows a straight line, cross country, between failure and re-sync points. Cyclemeter accurately guesstimates my most likely route and fills in the blanks so I still have useful ride data.

I've also dabbled with Map My Ride, Ride With GPS, maybe one or two others, but haven't figured out what they offer that the others don't.

And I use Charity Miles to benefit a designated recipient, which costs the user nothing. The app chooses among a list of designated sponsors. No problems or scams as far as I can tell, it gets positive reviews. Runs well alongside Cyclemeter and Strava, so it's almost effortless.

The only time I have conflicts is when I need to refer to Osm And Maps or Google Maps. After that I need to manually restart my cycling apps. But I don't lose any data, it just picks up where it left off.
Old 06-26-17, 07:40 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm interested in this conversation -- was going to ask a similar question. I've been using my phone with an app called Urban Biker. Great user interface, but it doesn't save my rides in the cloud. I guess Strava and Map my Ride probably do that. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't do social media, but I would like a record of my stuff in the cloud so *I* can go back and see my history.

You don't need a social media account to use Strava or Map my Ride. I used to use map my ride but now use Strava which is synced with the S health app on my Samsung phone.

I use the S Health app because it connects to the cadence and speed sensors on my bike via ANT+. When I'm done with my ride I save it in S health and it automatically uploads the data to Strava.

I use Strava because I'm caught up in the whirlwind of KOMs and segments which has helped me improve my cycling and fitness level.

All 3 of those apps record and retain your history.

Last edited by prj71; 06-26-17 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 07:52 AM
ad18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really contemplated going the cell route, but my main concern was actually carrying the phone. There are indeed a lot of slick apps that track what you want. However, putting the phone in a holder on the handle bars takes up a lot of space and is exposed to breakage if you fall. Stuff it in a pack or pocket reduced breakage risk, but then I was paranoid of losing it. The Garmin takes up very little room and replacing it was far cheaper that a new phone. It was a tough choice and there is no real answer. Personal preference.
Old 06-26-17, 08:07 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I just signed up to Strava and downloaded the app to my Android phone. I'll play with it some this week and see how I like it. I really do like having my phone on the handlebar because I play music and sometimes look at Google Maps on it. I use cheap phones (Moto G4 at the moment), so they're disposable and not any more expensive than a Garmin. @ad18 is right in that it does take up space on the handlebar -- the biggest drawback for me. Not a deal-breaker yet, though.
Old 06-26-17, 08:12 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On short rides, I use Strava and Runtastic Road Bike on my iPhone. On longer rides, I use my Garmin Edge 500 and Runstastic Road bike on my iPhone. One of the reasons I always use Runtastic Road Bike is that it has a live track feature that my wife uses to check where I am.
Old 06-26-17, 08:32 AM
ad18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge is box stock, entry level unit. Only does what OP wants, and what I wanted. I got mine, in Canadian $'s, for less than $200. Way cheaper than a phone Unless I really, really have too I leave my phone in truck, don't take it. I want some peace and quiet as I ride. Although I do contemplate how nice it would be to have in case of emergency. Major break down...the walk of shame instead of a rescue call
Old 06-26-17, 08:36 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by ad18
However, putting the phone in a holder on the handle bars takes up a lot of space and is exposed to breakage if you fall.
Doesn't take up any more space than a Garmin. Garmin could break from a fall as well.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/

Stuff it in a pack or pocket reduced breakage risk, but then I was paranoid of losing it.
Are you paranoid of losing it when it's in your pocket and your walking around?

I put mine in a zip up pocket in my shorts when I'm mountain biking. On my road bike I put it on the bars using a bar mount. Of if you have a cycling jersey you can use one of the back pockets.

The Garmin takes up very little room and replacing it was far cheaper that a new phone.
Cheaper? I pay about a $1 for my phones with 2 year contract. Or you can find a phone on Amazon for less than a garmin.

The only real downside to the phone vs. garmin is battery life. You'll get about 16 hours out of the garmin and about 8-9 out of the phone with the GPS running. Unless your riding a long endurance race a person wouldn't need all of that battery life offered by the Garmin anyway. Yesterday I did a 3 hour ride. Phone started out at 100% battery life and was at 78% when I finished.
Old 06-26-17, 08:38 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I just signed up to Strava and downloaded the app to my Android phone. I'll play with it some this week and see how I like it. I really do like having my phone on the handlebar because I play music and sometimes look at Google Maps on it. I use cheap phones (Moto G4 at the moment), so they're disposable and not any more expensive than a Garmin. @ad18 is right in that it does take up space on the handlebar -- the biggest drawback for me. Not a deal-breaker yet, though.
You'll like Strava.
Old 06-26-17, 09:29 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I use a simple, non-wireless Sigma computer for speed, distance, elapsed time, etc so I can have a quick glance while I ride. I just start the Map My Ride on my phone and throw it in my jersey pocket or handlebar bag if I'm riding with one that day for the more detailed information. When I hear the miles announced on my phone, it's always within a couple of hundredths of a mile with the computer.

Cheers.

Last edited by camjr; 06-26-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 01:12 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have one of these and love it. It's all I need. Very simple to use and set up.

Old 06-26-17, 05:01 PM
KTaylor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info! Thanks everyone!
Old 06-26-17, 08:38 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I have been using a Garmin 200 for a couple years now. I got it on clearance for $100 when it was being replaced by the 20. It just does the basic speed, average speed and mileage. You can also save routes and play them back as a bread crumb trail. The main reason I wanted the Garmin was because I own several bikes and I can just throw it on whichever bike I decide to ride, without having to calibrate for the tire size. It is about the same size as a computer and I would have to spend as much to have computers on all my bikes. The app lets me download the rides and assign the bikes to the ride.
Old 06-27-17, 02:44 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KTaylor
Hello,

I'm about to get a Trek DS 2 and need a computer. Only looking for speed and Trip speed. Hearing about gps and computers that use your phone nowadays. Why do y'all like and recommended and why? Thanks!
try a Cateye Velo 7, cheap and does all you need!
Old 06-27-17, 07:34 AM
prj71

I'll also add that I use Track Navigator for long road / gravel rides. It gives you turn by turn voice navigation using routes you plan in Ride with GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tracknav&hl=en
Old 06-27-17, 08:21 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend any Garmin Edge. I'm not a fan of using your phone since it will drain your battery and you may need it in case of an emergency.
Old 06-27-17, 10:49 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an old iPhone 5 that I bought for about $100. I can have my ride app going and play music to my bluetooth headphones. Its not activated but it can call emergency services if needed. The screen is nice and easy to see whats going on, the apps get updated every so often and the battery last about two days worth of riding. Works great for me.
Old 06-28-17, 08:50 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Laurido92
I recommend any Garmin Edge. I'm not a fan of using your phone since it will drain your battery and you may need it in case of an emergency.
Depends on how long you need to ride. I did a 7 hour ride last year and tracked my ride...still had 30% battery life when I was done.

The 15-16 hour battery life of the Garmin is nice, but in reality not many people are riding that many hours in a row so the phone works fine.

My phone has even replaced my Garmin eTrex handheld GPS that I used for years for hunting.
Old 06-28-17, 09:13 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as you keep the screen off on your phone and make sure to close other apps not important for your ride, it should last a good while for bike rides.
Old 06-28-17, 12:42 PM
prj71

The Samsung S health app on my phone goes into bike computer mode which it also labels as battery saver mode. Turns to a black and white screen .
Old 06-28-17, 12:50 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
The Polar M450 has worked well for me. Its much cheaper than a similar model Garmin. There are some good reviews of it on youtube as well. Syncs well to Strava, yadda yadda........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.