Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie on a new road bike: questions about pain, positioning & stopping

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-20-17, 09:36 AM
Sundrop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lots of questions.

Very quickly: I'm female, 46 & in good shape. Since April, I've been happily using a Trek Pure low-step, biking around my neighborhood for exercise and fun. I was doing 6-8 miles per day and 12 miles on weekends with had no issues other than a sore butt sometimes. I only switched to biking recently for exercise, as I had total knee replacement in 2014 and found my old workouts of Zumba, aerobics, etc. just too painful. My mother-in-law recently gave me her road bike (Giant Avail carbon fiber) as she is moving across country to go to school for 2 years and was going to donate this beauty to a school - ACK! She is 1 inch taller than me, so we thought it would be a good fit. Took it to a bike shop for a quick fit and he lowered the seat a bit, but said the rest looked good and he thought the bike was a perfect size for me.

However - doing the same loop in my neighborhood as my old bike, I can only get to about mile 2 before my lower left back starts to hurt. By mile 4 it is excruciating. Today, I forced myself to get to mile 6 and tried different hand positions, as well as sitting back a little further in the saddle, tilting my pelvis forward & back a bit and straightening my torso, to see if these adjustments helped at all. I did find that straightening my torso helped, though it felt very unnatural and I can't imagine sustaining this position for 20+ miles. Also, I was practicing (on the flats) riding one-handed and when I did that, the pain also subsided. Question: is a straighter torso the correct position? Is this just something I'll get used to? My total knee replacement is my left knee, could that be causing an issue? (I also had emergency back surgery back in 2006 for a severely ruptured disc, it aches sometimes, but no major problems for years).

Also, I find that my wrists/fingers start to go numb & tingly. I imagine I am leaning too hard on them, so I also tried to back off - but again, this felt very unnatural. Will this just come with practice, or are the handlebars too low?

Finally, I am not using clipless yet, but trying to practice skills now to start using them. I'm attempting to use my right leg to "rest" when I stop as it seems more logical in US traffic to lean to the right when stopped - but because my left leg is weaker, it's harder (and sometimes painful) for me to "start" back up from a stop with my left leg. I naturally always rest on my left leg so I can utilize my stronger leg for take-off. Is that bad form?

We have two local bike shops that offer the "Retul" bike fitting and I'm wondering with my issues if I shouldn't do this? It seems like overkill since I'm so new to this, but happy to make the investment if it means less/no pain and more enjoyment!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old 07-20-17, 09:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
The easy stuff first.

It doesn't matter which foot you put down and which you start with. Just do what's easier and more natural for you. In your case, with one leg weaker, it makes perfectly good sense to continue as you're doing now.

As for the back and hand problems, it's likely that you;re simply not used to the position. That may be complicated by an overly long reach, bars too low or other fit issue. However, I never suggest an expensive pro fit for new riders. You haven't settled into a groove yet, so odds are your "right" fit will change pretty soon.

Go back to the shop, and ask the to take a look at you on the bike, and do an "eyeball" look for any obvious issue, and make some adjustments if possible. Since you didn't buy the bike there, you may need to become a customer with some other purchase, or make a deal for a paid fit in two steps, rough fit now with a fine tune later when you're more settled on the bike.

Lastly, there's no need to go clipless yet. Get comfortable and used to the bike first, and decide it's a bike and riding style you'll stay with. Then when all is right go clipless if you still want to.

Take it slow, you can always spend money at any time, but unspending money you spent needlessly or unwisely is much harder.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-20-17, 09:58 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Your complaints are not uncommon. There is a possibility that better fit, fitness or a combination could help. @FBinNY 's recommendations there are good.

OTOH, there's a reason that if you travel to The Netherlands or dozens of other countries that you'll see just about everyone riding an upright Dutch city bike and almost nobody riding a road, mountain, or hybrid.

More: City Bikes | LocalMile

I would give @FBinNY 's suggestions a go first. If that doesn't work then look at getting a bike that works better for you.
Old 07-20-17, 11:10 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sundrop
Lots of questions.
My mother-in-law recently gave me her road bike (Giant Avail carbon fiber) as she is moving across country to go to school for 2 years and was going to donate this beauty to a school - ACK! She is 1 inch taller than me, so we thought it would be a good fit.
People vary a lot in dimensions so the same setup may not work for you. Although I'm a 5'9.5" guy my 5'4" wife can still appropriate my jeans.

Fortunately, there's a lot of room for adjusting fit although that often involves swapping inexpensive parts.

However - doing the same loop in my neighborhood as my old bike, I can only get to about mile 2 before my lower left back starts to hurt.

Also, I find that my wrists/fingers start to go numb & tingly. I imagine I am leaning too hard on them, so I also tried to back off - but again, this felt very unnatural. Will this just come with practice, or are the handlebars too low?
You have something wrong with handlebar height, handlebar reach, saddle shape, saddle height, saddle position fore/aft, and/or saddle angle.

Hand problems can also come from lumpy bar tape under the hoods or a cervical disk impinging on nerves from your neck position.

We have two local bike shops that offer the "Retul" bike fitting and I'm wondering with my issues if I shouldn't do this? It seems like overkill since I'm so new to this, but happy to make the investment if it means less/no pain and more enjoyment!
A competent fitter can straighten things out although you could start with some one eyeball your fit.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-20-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 11:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Being relatively new to riding, its hard to differentiate between issues caused by lack of habit/fitness and what's simply wrong for you.
I'm certainly not short on miles, but I have limited mobility in my lower back and simply can't ride a normally fitted bike. I need a considerably shorter stem.
But it certainly took some aches and time to find out.
Old 07-20-17, 11:46 AM
Sundrop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm going to go back into a different bike shop (I did buy something in the first one) for a more comprehensive fit w/out doing the Retul thing. There's one close that has a sale going on, so perfect time to pick up a few items.

I'll also just continue riding and trying to adjust myself to see what offers more relief. I know some of it is just getting used to a new bike and a new style of bike, but it's frustrating when I want to go further but just can't hack it. Being on a bike is just so fun and freeing, and when I realized that it didn't bother my knees like my old workouts, I was sold. I've also switched to spin classes at the gym when it's just too darned hot here and I even love those.
Old 07-20-17, 11:49 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Lots of questions.

Very quickly: Question: is a straighter torso the correct position? Is this just something I'll get used to? My total knee replacement is my left knee, could that be causing an issue? (I also had emergency back surgery back in 2006 for a severely ruptured disc, it aches sometimes, but no major problems for years).

I'm attempting to use my right leg to "rest" when I stop as it seems more logical in US traffic to lean to the right when stopped - but because my left leg is weaker, it's harder (and sometimes painful) for me to "start" back up from a stop with my left leg. I naturally always rest on my left leg so I can utilize my stronger leg for take-off. Is that bad form?

I agree you should wait to get a bike fit, if you get one at all... getting used to the new bike and new riding position first.
If you have numb hands or pain and/or feeling like there is too much pressure on your hands, there are a couple things you can try at home - You can try moving your saddle back a little bit at a time. It may also be that you are gripping too tightly on the bars, and/or keeping your arms locked straight (keep a bend in your arms). You can try to raise your bars by moving the stem up (or down, even) if that is an option. You might need a different stem/bar/etc though and a shop can help you with that if you don't find any relief. Don't make too many or too big of adjustments at a time...make one and ride a while, then try another.

For what foot to put down, just use which ever way is most comfortable.
Here are some links you can read through about bike fit -

Bike forums fitting subforum - Fitting Your Bike - Bike Forums
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...l#post12207030
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...umb-hands.html (pics are gone, unfortunately)
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...discovery.html
How to Fit a Bicycle
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/ (links in blue, on the right side column under "popular posts", down the page a bit)
Old 07-20-17, 02:07 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I think you're just getting used to the different position of a road bike, which puts weight differently than more upright bikes. I'd give it some time until your body adjusts and you develop fitness. But if the discomfort persists I'd start looking for an explanation.

When I first got my road bike I had a lot of discomfort and was ready to hate it but it ended up being that my reach was too long so I switched to a riser stem and compact handlebars, which gave me a more upright position. Problem solved, now I can ride that thing all day. If you feel too stretched out on the bike (you should be able to bend your elbows a little) then a similar approach could help you.
Old 07-20-17, 02:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Lots of questions.

Very quickly: I'm female, 46 & in good shape. Since April, I've been happily using a Trek Pure low-step, biking around my neighborhood for exercise and fun. I was doing 6-8 miles per day and 12 miles on weekends with had no issues other than a sore butt sometimes. I only switched to biking recently for exercise, as I had total knee replacement in 2014 and found my old workouts of Zumba, aerobics, etc. just too painful. My mother-in-law recently gave me her road bike (Giant Avail carbon fiber) as she is moving across country to go to school for 2 years and was going to donate this beauty to a school - ACK! She is 1 inch taller than me, so we thought it would be a good fit. Took it to a bike shop for a quick fit and he lowered the seat a bit, but said the rest looked good and he thought the bike was a perfect size for me.

However - doing the same loop in my neighborhood as my old bike, I can only get to about mile 2 before my lower left back starts to hurt. By mile 4 it is excruciating. Today, I forced myself to get to mile 6 and tried different hand positions, as well as sitting back a little further in the saddle, tilting my pelvis forward & back a bit and straightening my torso, to see if these adjustments helped at all. I did find that straightening my torso helped, though it felt very unnatural and I can't imagine sustaining this position for 20+ miles. Also, I was practicing (on the flats) riding one-handed and when I did that, the pain also subsided. Question: is a straighter torso the correct position? Is this just something I'll get used to? My total knee replacement is my left knee, could that be causing an issue? (I also had emergency back surgery back in 2006 for a severely ruptured disc, it aches sometimes, but no major problems for years).

Finally, I am not using clipless yet, but trying to practice skills now to start using them. I'm attempting to use my right leg to "rest" when I stop as it seems more logical in US traffic to lean to the right when stopped - but because my left leg is weaker, it's harder (and sometimes painful) for me to "start" back up from a stop with my left leg. I naturally always rest on my left leg so I can utilize my stronger leg for take-off. Is that bad form?

It is possible that improved core strength will resolve both your back pain and hand numbness.
Old 09-02-21, 05:37 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Your complaints are not uncommon. There is a possibility that better fit, fitness or a combination could help. @FBinNY 's recommendations there are good.

OTOH, there's a reason that if you travel to The Netherlands or dozens of other countries that you'll see just about everyone riding an upright Dutch city bike and almost nobody riding a road, mountain, or hybrid.

More: City Bikes | LocalMile

I would give @FBinNY 's suggestions a go first. If that doesn't work then look at getting a bike that works better for you.
So basically, what you're telling her is that she's should only ride Dutch bikes because the Dutch do it and to satisfy your preferences/narratives? Remember, she's from Charlotte, a city that is three times the size of Amsterdam and hilly.
Old 09-02-21, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-02-21, 07:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I like to try new things too, when there is no pain involved, and the learning curve is short

but i must ask,

why are we enduring pain to ride a new bike?- even if it was a dear gift.
I can understand more speed or greater distances, but maybe i missed that part .....
Old 09-03-21, 09:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Why should I go to the gym, if after a good workout I experience some soreness? Seems silly.

Better to maintain total comfort on my couch, and then later, I can depend on a mobility scooter when I am too weak to walk anywhere.

Health and fitness is crap.
Old 09-03-21, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
So basically, what you're telling her is that she's should only ride Dutch bikes because the Dutch do it and to satisfy your preferences/narratives? Remember, she's from Charlotte, a city that is three times the size of Amsterdam and hilly.

What's worse--your lack of reading comprehension or your inability to realize the post you're arguing with is 4 years old?

CrankyOne wasn't recommending a Dutch bike, but maybe one that is more suitable for urban riding in Charlotte, possibly a more upright bike. Obviously, Dutch bikes for Amsterdam was an example.And just because a city is hilly doesn't mean the cyclist rides the hills in the city. I lived in San Francisco and bike commuted there a bit. The routes I took were as flat as Omaha.

Also, the suggestion was look at this type of bike, not she should only ride it. You're actually offended by someone suggesting looking at a type of bike? Seriously?

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-03-21 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 10:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I am an exceedingly contentious fellow ... but I won't fight with the ghosts of BF threads past.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-03-21, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Lots of good advice above. Getting a bike fit from a credible fitter (I.e. not just a bike shop but a professional - Google bike fit in your area) will get you back on the road sooner and more comfortably, unless your budget will not allow it. I consider it money well spent rather than trial and error with bike shop people unless they are certified

A racing/road style bike versus an upright style bike are two different animals. A road bike will put you in a more unnatural position than you are used to causing back, neck and shoulder pain unless you approach getting your mileage up gradually. This might be frustrating at first, but ride what you can comfortably and then bag it. Slowly up your mileage as your body gets used to it. Road biking takes core strength to support the bent over position - yes your back needs to be straight and not hunched over. Do core and shoulder strengthening exercises to help support your weight while road biking. Google: bike strengthening exercises. Numbness of the hands is caused by too much pressure or holding on for dear life. Loosen your grip and try moving to the top of the bars, the side of the bars, around the bars since variety is your friend - as well as proper padded cycling gloves. The drag about getting into the 40s and beyond is that our bodies are less forgiving and naturally strong, so the way to get there is through doing strengthening exercises, then cycling wont hurt and will be far more enjoyable.

My qualifications for this advice: Like you, and being middle aged, I got a new bike and launched into cycling with great gusto and enthusiasm. I quickly developed all the symptoms (except the knee) you described and was in great pain. Following the advice I gleaned from this forum, undertook the steps above and after 3 months, the pain gradually diminished to now where I can ride 50-60 miles with very minimal discomfort. Distance cycling can never be described as being completely comfortable unless you are an indestructible youth.

You can get there too. Patience, a bike fit and workouts will get you there. BTDT. Looking forward to progress reports. Cheers

Last edited by rsbob; 09-03-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 10:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Lots of good advice above. Getting a bike fit from a credible fitter (I.e. not just a bike shop but a professional - Google bike fit in your area) will get you back on the road sooner and more comfortably, unless your budget will not allow it. I consider it money well spent rather than trial and error with bike shop people unless they are certified

A racing/road style bike versus an upright style bike are two different animals. A road bike will put you in a more unnatural position than you are used to causing back, neck and shoulder pain unless you approach getting your mileage up gradually. This might be frustrating at first, but ride what you can comfortably and then bag it. Slowly up your mileage as your body gets used to it. Road biking takes core strength to support the bent over position - yes your back needs to be straight and not hunched over. Do core and shoulder strengthening exercises to help support your weight while road biking. Google: bike strengthening exercises. Numbness of the hands is caused by too much pressure or holding on for dear life. Loosen your grip and try moving to the top of the bars, the side of the bars, around the bars since variety is your friend - as well as proper padded cycling gloves. The drag about getting into the 40s and beyond is that our bodies are less forgiving and naturally strong, so the way to get there is through doing strengthening exercises, then cycling wont hurt and will be far more enjoyable.

My qualifications for this advice: Like you, and being middle aged, I got a new bike and launched into cycling with great gusto and enthusiasm. I quickly developed all the symptoms (except the knee) you described and was in great pain. Following the advice I gleaned from this forum, undertook the steps above and after 3 months, the pain gradually diminished to now where I can ride 50-60 miles with very minimal discomfort. Distance cycling can never be described as being completely comfortable unless you are an indestructible youth.

You can get there too. Patience, a bike fit and workouts will get you there. BTDT. Looking forward to progress reports. Cheers
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-03-21, 11:19 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rsbob
. Looking forward to progress reports. Cheers
Ummmm ..... the report is that the OP has been gone from here four several years. She has truly progressed.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-03-21, 01:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
I agree with Maelochs about battling dead threads, though I have done it. I also would believe Ms Sundrop is no longer around, to reap the benefits of our age-old deliberations.

However as rsbob illustrates, aging human bodies belonging to re-starting cyclists are an ageless problem, and what she has felt is an example for all of the rest of us. Without her I do not know if we have done her any good! For me, I see no reason why a road bike cannot give her a good fit. A new bike, even an Omafiets, has its own problems, namely weight and odd handgrip location. For her numb hands, I'd suggest moving the saddle back a little to reduce hand/wrist pressure. How far to go? Can't say.. Perhaps raise bars an inch. Perhaps have a skilled local person double-check her saddle height, though her knee issue has most likely healed by now.
Old 09-04-21, 08:52 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Just like people, an OLD thread does not make it useless. Someone who just came back from their first ride in ages might just STUMBLE on this thread and still learn something.
Old 09-04-21, 10:23 AM
satrain18

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What's worse--your lack of reading comprehension or your inability to realize the post you're arguing with is 4 years old?

CrankyOne wasn't recommending a Dutch bike, but maybe one that is more suitable for urban riding in Charlotte, possibly a more upright bike. Obviously, Dutch bikes for Amsterdam was an example.And just because a city is hilly doesn't mean the cyclist rides the hills in the city. I lived in San Francisco and bike commuted there a bit. The routes I took were as flat as Omaha.

Also, the suggestion was look at this type of bike, not she should only ride it. You're actually offended by someone suggesting looking at a type of bike? Seriously?
Sound like a sturn recommendation to only ride Dutch city bikes to me.

Last edited by satrain18; 09-06-21 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-04-21, 06:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Sound like a stern recommendation to only ride Dutch city bikes to me.

See that OTOH? That means "on the other hand.". What you did was take out the whole first part of the post where he said try the other stuff with the not Dutch bike op already has first, then if it doesn't work out, try the Dutch-type bike. Please don't embarrass yourself trying to refute this, it's quite obvious how you screwed this up. Understanding context is fundamental to reading comprehension.

Also, if you actually look at the sentences after the bit you quoted here, it refers to an upright bike that may fit better, not a word about it being Dutch.

I'm not even getting into how silly your overreaction to advice you don't like was. What the hell is a " stern recommendation "?
Old 09-06-21, 03:09 AM
satrain18

Originally Posted by livedarklions
See that OTOH? That means "on the other hand.". What you did was take out the whole first part of the post where he said try the other stuff with the not Dutch bike op already has first, then if it doesn't work out, try the Dutch-type bike. Please don't embarrass yourself trying to refute this, it's quite obvious how you screwed this up. Understanding context is fundamental to reading comprehension.

Also, if you actually look at the sentences after the bit you quoted here, it refers to an upright bike that may fit better, not a word about it being Dutch.

I'm not even getting into how silly your overreaction to advice you don't like was. What the hell is a " stern recommendation "?
I meant "sturn".
Old 09-06-21, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I meant "sturn".
That's a British bike.
​​