Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Lakeland teens arrested after throwing egg at bicyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 11:09 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts

Fark.com: Teen protip: if you're going to egg cyclists from your car, try not to pick competitive mountain bikers who might chase after you. Especially if they're cops on their lunch break. And FFS not if you have weed in the car

Old 07-22-17, 11:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Sometimes you break a few eggs to learn a good life lesson.
Old 07-22-17, 02:06 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cant wait to drink my beer tonight..Did 35miles with over 4000ft of climbing and reading news like this.
i want those thugs license revoke and never let them drive again. Let's see how they feel riding a bike.��
To our fellow bike rider and Lakeland officer who arrested these idiots, Job well done Sir.

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-22-17 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 07-22-17, 02:47 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
Cant wait to drink my beer tonight..Did 35miles with over 4000ft of climbing and reading news like this.
i want those thugs license revoke and never let them drive again. Let's see how they feel riding a bike.��
To our fellow bike rider and Lakeland officer who arrested these idiots, Job well done Sir.
Ahhhh poetic justice indeed... But I bet a judge does no such thing.

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-22-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 05:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
If you read the entire article including the statement by the victim, he suggests community service, a form of public shaming. Give them lots of hours of service and make it really onerous but pulling their license for life is pretty radical. We don't even do that for first time DUI arrests unless perhaps they kill someone in an accident. These are obviously stupid kids who are a long way from growing up into responsible adults. We can always hope. There are probably few of us on this site who haven't done something really stupid that could have changed the course of our lives. Count me in as one of that group.
Old 07-22-17, 07:02 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of these dudes has a Darwin Award https://www.darwinawards.com/ in his future.
Old 07-22-17, 07:34 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you read the entire article including the statement by the victim, he suggests community service, a form of public shaming. Give them lots of hours of service and make it really onerous but pulling their license for life is pretty radical. We don't even do that for first time DUI arrests unless perhaps they kill someone in an accident. These are obviously stupid kids who are a long way from growing up into responsible adults. We can always hope. There are probably few of us on this site who haven't done something really stupid that could have changed the course of our lives. Count me in as one of that group.
Agreed. Add a fairly long probation to give them some time to mature.
Old 07-23-17, 06:23 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Thanks for sharing this news.
Old 07-23-17, 06:58 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
young Florida Men in training
Old 07-23-17, 08:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Young and stupid. It may ruin any good jobs they might want to get.
Old 07-23-17, 12:21 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It seems to me some sort of community service is called for. In addition, maybe they should write an essay, to be published in the local paper. why throwing an egg or in anyway interfering with a cyclist is a bad idea and possibly dangerous as well.
Old 07-23-17, 12:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Why can't kids be smarter and stick to hanging out at the Drive-In because the girls in their school work there?

Heart disease is much better than weed.
Old 07-23-17, 03:12 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Yep, young and prone to stupid stunts. I regret a lot of things I did when I was that age and can't fathom why I thought they were funny or cool. Most of us grow out of it, thank heavens.
Old 07-23-17, 09:29 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am glad it was an egg, and not a brick.
Old 07-24-17, 04:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Yea, and in my teen years, I've thrown eggs at people from a moving car. It was a "thing" in the 60s. Dumb for sure, but for some reason we thought it was a good idea at the time. No injuries or meaningful property damage that I can remember, so that's something.

I think that if kids are caught doing stuff like this they should be punished for sure. But I also know that most of these kind of kids are just knuckleheads, not bad people and consequences should reflect that. They learn from the consequences of their mistakes. Often, I think, the response in their brains then is "man, that was idiotic, why did I think it was a good idea." and they move on and mature. It's just dumb to lay excessive consequences on stuff like this that actually affects their future prospects. I feel the same way about transient, recreational, self-harming only drug use.

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Why can't kids be smarter and stick to hanging out at the Drive-In because the girls in their school work there?
Did that too! Dated a car hop for a while. Talk about status! More status than any Italian bike could bring.

Heart disease is much better than weed.
You bet Mr. Sessions! 8-)

Last edited by Camilo; 07-24-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 04:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
If I were a judge, I'd consider this case a good time to work out a deal and adjourn in contemplation of dismissal. That would allow the kids to straighten themselves out, and continue with their lives free of a criminal record.

As conditions, I'd ask them to voluntarily surrender their driver's licenses to my clerk, and agree to some sort of community service, and report back in a year. If no problems in that interval, then it's as if it never happened. OTOH - if they don't shape up, or follow through on the agreement, then they're looking at a trial, sentence and (possibly) a record.

IMO - adjournment in contemplation of dismissal is one of the most effective tools for dealing with youthful offenders or anyone charged with a "stupid" crime. It applies a corrective hand, and keeps basically OK people who made a mistake to rejoin society without being tainted for life.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-24-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 12:49 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
young Florida Men in training
Non-imgurians will not understand this
Old 07-25-17, 01:49 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Non-imgurians will not understand this
I knew about "Florida Man" at least 5 to 10 years before I discovered Imgur.

Florida Man is more of a WWN thing

Even online, Florida Man was I think a sub****** before it was an Imgur thing.
Old 07-25-17, 10:10 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Odd; it's a few miles from Brevard County. I was starting to think they had a monopoly on stupid crime in Florida.
Old 07-30-17, 10:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Being 18 years old, they should have known better at that age.
Old 07-31-17, 09:36 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
entitled trust fund kids... Book 'em Dano!
Old 08-08-17, 05:38 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If I were a judge, I'd consider this case a good time to work out a deal and adjourn in contemplation of dismissal. That would allow the kids to straighten themselves out, and continue with their lives free of a criminal record.

As conditions, I'd ask them to voluntarily surrender their driver's licenses to my clerk, and agree to some sort of community service, and report back in a year. If no problems in that interval, then it's as if it never happened. OTOH - if they don't shape up, or follow through on the agreement, then they're looking at a trial, sentence and (possibly) a record.

IMO - adjournment in contemplation of dismissal is one of the most effective tools for dealing with youthful offenders or anyone charged with a "stupid" crime. It applies a corrective hand, and keeps basically OK people who made a mistake to rejoin society without being tainted for life.
They effectively have something that accomplishes the same result, at least in TX. Certain classes of crimes are eligible for pre-trial diversion where you plead guilty to a lesser sentence, then if you don't violate probation the sentence can be expunged.
Old 08-08-17, 06:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
They effectively have something that accomplishes the same result, at least in TX. Certain classes of crimes are eligible for pre-trial diversion where you plead guilty to a lesser sentence, then if you don't violate probation the sentence can be expunged.
Yes, though there are subtle differences, the intent and effective results are basically the same. The objective is to have a mechanism for a conditional discharge, which can result in a clean record if all conditions are met, yet suspend a piano above the defendant's head motivating him to shape up.

Operationally, I prefer the adjournment process because it leaves the trial and sentence for the original crime open ended, and the defendant knows he'll be seeing the same judge who tried to cut him some slack.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-09-17, 10:52 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, though there are subtle differences, the intent and effective results are basically the same. The objective is to have a mechanism for a conditional discharge, which can result in a clean record if all conditions are met, yet suspend a piano above the defendant's head motivating him to shape up.

Operationally, I prefer the adjournment process because it leaves the trial and sentence for the original crime open ended, and the defendant knows he'll be seeing the same judge who tried to cut him some slack.
On a side note, having served on a jury, if I'm ever in that situation I'll do everything I can not to leave my fate in the hands of 12 strangers. It was scary to see how much they bring their own prejudices and personal grudges into the jury box.
Old 08-09-17, 01:18 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know they used to do something similar for traffic court, my father got a speeding ticket and was told that if he didn't get a second one in six months it would not be put on his driving record. Not on his driving record meant cheaper insurance too.

Yeah kids do dumb things (and I'm at the point in life where 18 year olds are still just kids). If they are normally at least halfway decent then Camilo is right, they will look back and really think about the dumb stuff they did and will have great examples when they tell their own children to not do stupid stuff.

No one wants to be soft on crime but decent kids that are 18+ doing dumb things without actual malice are a perfect example of why minimum sentencing is wrong. No, it's not a victimless crime, but chances are they didn't think about the potential harm to a person and simply thought it'd be icky goo without risk of injury. Watching a crash test dummy going down hard could probably be enough to make them scared about what they could have done to a live person, and they'd never repeat what they did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.