Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What made you switch from a conventional bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 11:21 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm pushing 60, I just had a 2 year hiatus due to other projects and an injury (or two). I went out Monday and put on 8 miles and thought I was going to have a heart attack tackling the couple of hills coming back from an otherwise pleasant ride. I was kicking around the idea of an ebike, just to assist on the hills. I LIKE pedaling, but putting both derailleurs in 1st and furiously spinning is wearing me out. I have NEVER done hills well. It just doesn't seem to be in me. Even at my best in 2015 I always had issues with hills.

So, what's your story? Time? Distance? Hills? Body issues? Did it make the difference for you so you could keep riding? I'd like to know.
Old 05-09-18, 11:39 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Motivation: Hills everywhere, age, and I prefer to arrive on time and not needing a shower.

eBike.... Way Mo Betta
Old 05-09-18, 01:03 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Always been a motorhead. Motors good on bikes,

It was my nice new conventional bike that introduced us to ebikes. We saw them at the shop when I bought my conventional bike in 2015. My wife wanted an ebike and now she has three of them (only rides one). Otherwise, I doubt I would even know about them today. I've only noticed two on the road in Illinois.

Meanwhile, I still ride that conventional bike once in a while. It's the best bike I ever owned (not saying much).
Old 05-09-18, 01:49 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Another arrow(s) in the quiver for me. Still enjoy MTB even after many years, but riding an eMTB is a nice change of pace. I built my wife an eMTB, but usually we ride "non-electrified"). Probably we'll try bikepacking this summer; the "e's" should be along for those rides.
Old 05-10-18, 05:51 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
For me it was the wind. I found myself working in a town where 30-40mph wind is the norm. I was really starting to consider driving to work. Instead I installed a small (350W) assist motor. It made all the difference in the world for me.
Old 05-10-18, 06:12 AM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're still awaiting the arrival of our first e-bike. The Unindicted Co-Conspirator and I would love to ride together, but she hasn't got the stamina. If it gets her out on the bike path, the electric assist will be well worth it.

At this point, I don't see one for me, despite the bike shop owner's assurance that he always sells these in pairs, one at a time.
Old 05-10-18, 06:31 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
For me it was the wind. I found myself working in a town where 30-40mph wind is the norm. I was really starting to consider driving to work. Instead I installed a small (350W) assist motor. It made all the difference in the world for me.
I don't have an e bike, and probably won't any time soon, but I've often wished I had one during those windy commutes.
Old 05-10-18, 03:49 PM
rcsting
Just a Rider

Bikes: 2017 Stromer ST1X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my E bike to get back into work commuting. My E bike gives me the flexibility to use more assist when needed or lower the assist for more of a workout. My commutes are more enjoyable then ever plus I've dropped 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks by combining cycling and better food choices

Some people consider E bikes " cheating " but its made a huge improvement for me already.
Old 05-10-18, 08:25 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought my ebike about 5 years ago, after dual hip replacement. I didn't ride it much and it probably has less than 500 miles. I was still riding my Ducati Monster more, until recently. I sold the Ducati, and now 15-20 mph is more my "cruising" speed. The ebike has a 6 speed Shimano with a 500w 36amp rear hub motor. I don't have the required 10 posts yet or I would post a pic. I also have an Electra 7 speed that is fun to ride just cruising around the community where I live. Two cruisers that satisfy my different moods when the urge to ride prompts me. Enjoy whatever ebike you decide....
Old 05-11-18, 05:09 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I'm your senior -barely remember 60. I never switched; I just added the e-bike a few years ago. The ebike is great, but it's still the bike I ride the least. It seems to me that your two-year hiatus explains most of your current struggles. Even seasonal breaks affect me more than they did in my younger years, although I try to stay in shape with my AirDyne. That is, it takes me longer to recover my conditioning, flexibility, and muscle strength each spring -and that's without an injury. Then again, the ebike IS, undoubtedly, a great option when the weather sucks -wind or cold, AND yes to ease hill-climbing, especially off the road. The main advantage is that I can save time and energy when I need/want to arrive somewhere quickly, AND not get there spent and SWEATY. Good luck getting in shape, which you will.
Old 05-12-18, 10:29 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't switched. It's just another bike for a different purpose. It's great bad weather commuter. Now with the nicer weather, I'll be on my road bike more often, even for commutes. It's great to have the ebike when other people want to go on a ride with me. They don't have to be in great shape to enjoy the ride and it pushes me enough to make it great exercise. Sometimes you want a sedan, sometimes an SUV, sometimes a truck.
Old 05-13-18, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years but wanted to ride once again, so I bought an e-bike. Primarily for the confidence in knowing I would not get stranded somewhere unable to drag myself home. That was 6 years ago; I was 62 and had just retired. FF to today: been riding standard bikes for 5 years and sold the e-bike to another retiree. Love it, have been car-lite 3 years, and going car-free this year. The car free thing depends upon having the OPTION of adding a motor to my e-bike for a very few situations (dragging home 40 lbs of dog food on my trailer, and riding two specific routes with typical Bay Area hills). So I've got a super light easy-to-detach ebike kit coming. I don't want added weight on my super light bike so I wanted a kit I can take off and put on very easily. The kit is a Shareroller friction drive, total weight including battery is 4.5 lbs, range with pedaling around 12-15 miles. I ride for exercise so I don't want to use the motor any more than I need to, but want the ability to say "yes" to whatever ride comes my way. At 68, this should be enough. In ten years I plan to still be riding, and maybe more frequent need for motorization will be required - if so, I'll do it. Whatever keeps me in the saddle is all good. They can bury me with my bike!
Old 05-17-18, 01:37 PM
HenryL
HenryL

Bikes: Raleigh Militus, Custom Steel road bike manufactured by Steve Willis of The Bike Stand, Raleigh Rush Hour. Windcheetah recumbent trike, Actionbent SWB recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a switch at all, an alternative for commuting. 20 mph, no need for a shower. Pull the wheel and the road bike returns.
Old 05-17-18, 04:05 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
At 73, 74 in September, I bought my first pedal assist bike this week for three reasons:

1) to be able to ride with my fit, duathlete son at a pace he would enjoy. (Rode with him last night for 24 miles at a 21 mph pace.)

2) to not get dropped on the hills by the cycling club. (I can keep up with them in the flats with my road bikes.)

3) hopefully to prolong my enjoyment of my favorite hobby. (And I think it will work out that way—riding this Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 is a blast.)

And yes, I still plan to ride my other bikes. Rode my Trek Domane this morning, just slower than the e-bike.
Old 05-17-18, 04:21 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two main reasons. First is for my dad or father in law to ride with me on the trail. With assist they can easily keep up and everyone has more fun. Second was so I could expand my range into the mountains. There is a park near where I live with 3500 ft elevation gain to the top and over 3000 acres to explore. Difficult to explore much on a regular bike. Just one trip to the top is an epic ride, 20 miles of dirt with 3500 ft of climbing, and that's sticking to the main trail, with an ebike I can get off the main trail to the dozens of little offshoots.
Old 05-17-18, 05:27 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Got smashed up in a car crash. Looked at options to get about. Could sit on my bike but not pull on the handlebars, so I bought an e-bike.

Having found the potential in it, I built a better one once I'd recovered enough to.
Old 05-17-18, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
I am not switching just using the e-bike for commuting and utility cycling, all my other bikes will remain analog and I have no plans on buying another e-bike anytime soon at least not until the current one is beyond repair and then I might go Riese and Muller Supercharger or whatever they have in the future with dual intube batteries. Hopefully with Rolhoff E-14 (or whatever is better in that time span) with an even better Brose Motor and two lighter weight intube batteries with maybe a different crank spline or hopefully more crank options (or better spider/chainring options). One can dream.
Old 05-20-18, 10:29 AM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I hit 70 it seemed the hills started getting steeper so I took my trusty bike and added a mid drive motor. My wife laughed at this until we did a 150 mile ride, over 2 days, in mid Idaho. She changed her mind and I converted her TREK DS into an ebike. We are using them primarily on long climbs and are getting anywhere from 66-80 miles on a charge. Since then I built a off road Salsa Fargo and a drop bar touring bike (Salsa Vaya) and converted both. We do ride to heart rate monitors to ensure we still get exercise and very seldom use the throttle. We are riding this winter in the Southern CA area where mist of the trails are flat and we ride with the assist set at Zero.
Old 05-24-18, 03:33 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My motivation for choosing an ebike were:
  • Speed and acceleration. I will never be able to manoever as quickly and efficiently with my feet unless I become a pro bike person.
  • Safety. If I see a crossing, I know I can make it 100% without any car coming close. With a mechanical bike you need to speed up, it's like a shift stick car - no acceleration.
  • Reliability. Ebikes are stupidly expensive (I own a maxed-out R&M Delite Rohloff) but for that you get the most reliable stuff the industry has to offer.
  • Distance. I cannot pedal for even 100km let alone 200. With an ebike and Bosch DualBattery, I can!
For me it was a no-brainer. I'm not even talking about knee joint stress and whatnot, ebikes are just so much more fun, you know!
Old 05-25-18, 07:06 AM
sma11_footprint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few years on you. I like cruising around on my bicycle, but my knees just don't like hills and wind. The e-bike allows me to keep my cadence no matter what the conditions.
Old 05-30-18, 08:51 PM
NABRXX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Just bought the Raleigh Lore--I'll never give it up

I'm 55. I got into pedaling while recovering from a motorcycle accident 10 years ago. My commute to work is 35 miles round trip from Westchester into upper Manhattan. My usual commuter is a Surly long Haul trucker with bags front and back. I found that over the past 10 years my mileage per year has dropped from about 5000 a year to about 3500 a year. I usually only can manage the pedal commute 3 days a week, lately only two and it kicks my ass. I rented a Specialized Levo while vacationing in Vermont and realized that I haven't enjoyed a ride as much in years. I just bought a Raleigh Lore Ei last week and have shortened my commute time to one hour from one hour and forty minutes. I still get a workout, but now I'm smiling while I get it. I still plan to work in a couple of days a week on the Surely for bragging rights, but I love this Raleigh, I've done over 100 miles the last three days and had a blast to boot.
Old 06-02-18, 03:04 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
time; if I commute by regular bike, it is a bit over an hour each way; if I drive it is about 20-25 minutes in the morning and ~1 hour in the late afternoon. With my ebike, it is 30-35 minutes each way, and I still get some peddling in. An hour a day is worth a great deal to me, even 20-25 minutes is valuable, and very little day to day expense for the ebike compared to driving costs.
Old 06-02-18, 06:27 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Why does it have to be a matter of switching to an electric bike? I'm contemplating an e-assist bike now ( and cruising the e bike forums ) because I've been seduced by the Jump pedelec rental bikes available here now, no wait I mean I'm looking at an ebike as a way to extend my range and route options and finally sell my twenty year old Subaru. I don't see it as a reason to sell my other bikes or reduce how much I ride them. I've been riding between six and thirty miles a day for the last twenty years and driving the car perhaps once a month when there is no other way to accomplish a task. At nearly seventy bike riding is the only thing that stands between me and being an old man.
Old 06-07-18, 07:31 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ability to ride. My first ebike was purchased as a physical therapy program (I hate the gym and being inside) after a bilateral hernia surgery and follow up surgery that had me inactive for almost two years. I found it so much fun I got back into bike riding after about twenty years of not riding. Now that my muscles and endurance are much better, I ride both pedal and electric assist bikes.
Old 06-08-18, 02:04 PM
jhoblho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fun. My non-motorized bike was okay, but an electric assist gives me incentive to bike rather than use the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.