Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Y'all got trail dogs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Y'all got trail dogs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 05:32 AM
salad_goat

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2015 Caadx, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all got trail dogs?

HEY!

Was wondering if anyone has a trail dog or why we should not have trail dogs. Post pics on your pooches on patrol if you want, I'd love to see them!
Old 07-01-18, 05:34 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by salad_goat
HEY!

Was wondering if anyone has a trail dog or why we should not have trail dogs. Post pics on your pooches on patrol if you want, I'd love to see them!
What is a trail dog?
Old 07-01-18, 07:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Some of my friends have dogs they ride trail with, and I'm not fond of having the dogs along. The dogs get in the way and are a constant hazard. OTOH, trail traffic is light where I live, and a few people riding with dogs aren't really an issue in the big picture.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 07-01-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 07:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
HEY!

if it is not a high traffic area/time, and the dog has learned how to run with the biker pack (knows when to get out of the way) , I like having them along.

The only time I get ticked off is when I don’t think an owner is paying enough attention to how the dog is doing and is running them too hard or long or not making sure they get enough water.

It has been a while sinse I had a dog that I could ride with. I miss that. But mostly I took her on solo rides (me and her).

Old 07-01-18, 09:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Trail Dog...

-Tim-
Old 07-01-18, 09:46 AM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
While the idea and vid are awesome. I hate coming across loose dogs hiking, biking or walking my own leashed dog.
Old 07-01-18, 02:05 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have had unleashed dogs run right out in front of me so, no in general, why would you do that to other people?
Old 07-01-18, 02:06 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
That was fun to watch.
Old 07-01-18, 02:07 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dogs on the trails around here, paved or MTB, are allowed only if on a 6-foot leash. The rangers and DNR people are pretty easy going about most things, but unleashed dogs are not one of them. Personally, I think it's dangerous and rude.
Old 07-01-18, 02:09 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Inconsiderate.

No.
Old 07-01-18, 02:42 PM
knitguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. While the video of Lilly is awesome, in reality I can't stand it when I come upon dogs who are unleashed anywhere other than a dog park (and given thatI no longer have a dog, I don't go to dog parks). I've seen way too many instances of a dog owner who thinks they can control their dog when it is clear that they really can't. It isn't safe for anyone, people who are walking or running, other dogs on the trail, cyclists, etc.

Earlier this summer I was riding on a series of multi-use trails and proceeded to see three dogs in total who were unleashed. The first two were walking with their owner along side rather tall grass. First they came upon another dog, who was leashed, who clearly wasn't enjoying the unleashed dogs coming up to it. Then one of those same unleashed dogs ran out from the tall grass nearly causing a collision between me and the dog. The third dog (some 20 miles later) was walking with its owner, who was on a horse, and clearly didn't have the best of recall. Needless to say, I didn't feel like anyone was safe in that situtation, not me, not the owner who was on a very large horse, clearly not the dog who could have easily been stepped on by the horse, nor the horse itself (given the dog's behavior).
Old 07-01-18, 02:47 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Trail Dog...
-Tim-
OMG!!! Lily ripped it up. Love it!

-Kedosto
Old 07-01-18, 03:02 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
No. While the video of Lilly is awesome, in reality I can't stand it when I come upon dogs who are unleashed anywhere other than a dog park (and given thatI no longer have a dog, I don't go to dog parks). I've seen way too many instances of a dog owner who thinks they can control their dog when it is clear that they really can't. It isn't safe for anyone, people who are walking or running, other dogs on the trail, cyclists, etc.

Earlier this summer I was riding on a series of multi-use trails and proceeded to see three dogs in total who were unleashed. The first two were walking with their owner along side rather tall grass. First they came upon another dog, who was leashed, who clearly wasn't enjoying the unleashed dogs coming up to it. Then one of those same unleashed dogs ran out from the tall grass nearly causing a collision between me and the dog. The third dog (some 20 miles later) was walking with its owner, who was on a horse, and clearly didn't have the best of recall. Needless to say, I didn't feel like anyone was safe in that situtation, not me, not the owner who was on a very large horse, clearly not the dog who could have easily been stepped on by the horse, nor the horse itself (given the dog's behavior).

Not a big dog/horse fan, but you underestimate animal intelligence here, IMO.
Old 07-01-18, 03:11 PM
knitguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Not a big dog/horse fan, but you underestimate animal intelligence here, IMO.
Given the situation and the sheer lack of recall the dog had it wouldn't be terribly shocking if the horse ended up getting spooked. I would like to assume that the owner assumed that her horse would have remained calm in situations involving things like small very unpredictable children, lots of people on bikes, runners with or without their dogs, etc (so basically just about everything you'd see on that multi-use trail), but again - given how little control she had over her dog...

But yes, both horses and dogs, among other animals, can in fact be very smart (they can also be very dumb). Border collies are known for being very smart. This was not one of the smarter border collies I've seen.
Old 07-01-18, 03:27 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
Given the situation and the sheer lack of recall the dog had it wouldn't be terribly shocking if the horse ended up getting spooked. I would like to assume that the owner assumed that her horse would have remained calm in situations involving things like small very unpredictable children, lots of people on bikes, runners with or without their dogs, etc (so basically just about everything you'd see on that multi-use trail), but again - given how little control she had over her dog...

But yes, both horses and dogs, among other animals, can in fact be very smart (they can also be very dumb). Border collies are known for being very smart. This was not one of the smarter border collies I've seen.

Yeah, I may be over-estimating animal intelligence.
Old 07-01-18, 04:13 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
Dogs on the trails around here, paved or MTB, are allowed only if on a 6-foot leash. The rangers and DNR people are pretty easy going about most things, but unleashed dogs are not one of them. Personally, I think it's dangerous and rude.
I have seen both joggers and bikers with dogs on a lease from large breed to small breed . The dogs usually look like they are about to collapse. Makes me sad and mad.
Old 07-01-18, 04:24 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Most dogs will run themselves to death to please their owner. Don't encourage that.
Old 07-01-18, 04:54 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I have seen both joggers and bikers with dogs on a lease from large breed to small breed . The dogs usually look like they are about to collapse. Makes me sad and mad.
Yep. We have three Golden Retrievers. They hate the leash. I'd never take them out on any of the biking trails because they'd be miserable. Fortunately we have a lot of land here where they can go for a walk without being tethered.
Old 07-01-18, 05:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It'd be great if we were talking the kind of thing in the video Tim linked. Single track, one direction, few or no competing users.

But it gets complicated with multi-use trails shared by hikers, folks with horses, etc. That's a common complaint from one of my friends who trains horses -- irresponsible mountain bikers and free-range dogs accompanying hikers, harassing horses.

One of my good friends trained border collies and was a very responsible dog owner.

But that's rare.

Few people who keep dogs are "dog owners". They're mostly dog feeders. They don't know the first thing about the responsibility demanded to actually own and train a dog.

On Friday night's group ride I was impromptu sweep and *tried* to stop traffic to allow a free range dog to cross the street. A couple of drivers saw the dog, ignored our flashing lights and hand signals, and just kept going, nearly running over the dog. Some folks just don't care and their multi-ton machines always win. But the main fault was with the dog feeder who apparently thought she was the owner, screaming ineffectually from the curb and flapping her hands around uselessly.

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen that in neighborhoods, busy boulevards, the paved MUP and even the MTB trails in our parks (not remote single track trails). Too many dog feeders, not enough responsible dog trainers and owners.

One of my friends is still recovering from a painful arm injury and the psychological aftermath of colliding with an unleashed dog on the MUP. It's not just the difficulty of the physical recovery. The incident seems to have robbed her of something that gave her joy and was a big part of her life, social circle and overall well being. And despite all that she was among the first on the spot when I was hit by a car in May, the last to leave after a long night in the hospital, and gave me a ride home and brought my prescriptions and groceries the first weekend.

I was luckier and just flat-spotted a good tire braking hard until the rubber was smoking to avoid an unleashed dog in the same area a couple of months earlier. In my case the dog appeared to be on a long leash so I gave it plenty of room -- but nobody was holding the leash, which I didn't notice until the dog darted into my path from 20 yards away.

I rarely stop to fuss at inconsiderate people on the MUP, or else I'd be fussing every 5 minutes. You gotta pick and choose your battles. But I took a deep breath, calmed my voice and urged the fellows with the dog to hold the leash because that part of the trail was popular with inexperienced cyclists, kids and even older folks on canes, walkers and wheelchairs. The guys looked like cliched drifters or hobos but they were decent about my little lecture and apologized. I suspect they were planning to camp out for the night and didn't want to attract unwanted attention to themselves.

On the plus side I've seen some very good dog owners along the MUP who were actually reinforcing their dogs' training in trail etiquette, on and off leash. I really appreciate folks who make that effort and often say so as I'm passing.
Old 07-01-18, 09:16 PM
tajar66

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The best is when the unleashed dog comes uo to my leashed dog and the owner says dont worry my dog is nice. Well maybe my leashed dog is not nice.
Old 07-01-18, 10:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
To be clear, I was not advocating doing what was pictured in the video.

Dogs on a road ride is a non starter. On the MUP it would be dangerous.

Running a dog like that on pavement for long distances is cruel.
Old 07-01-18, 11:02 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
On that Lily vid, I would think it is kind of hard on the foot pads. I've seen dogs that looked happy running alongside, but I don't think that is the typical dog/master relationship. I don't know about on trails as that's not my thing.

scott s.
Old 07-01-18, 11:11 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Yeah, I may be over-estimating animal intelligence.
You are over-estimating human intelligence.
Old 07-02-18, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by tajar66
The best is when the unleashed dog comes uo to my leashed dog and the owner says dont worry my dog is nice.
IKR. I was touring across PA and riding the GAP one day. Two unleashed, "enthusiastic" dogs came running at me on the trail. I slammed on the brakes so I didn't go down. The jogger/owner came up to me and told me they were friendly. I told her that I had not yet developed the ability to read canine minds and have to act defensively or risk injury and the ruining of my vacation. She was not happy that I took issue with her violating trail rules. Just another one of those "My dog is more important than you" owners.
Old 07-02-18, 08:47 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) for trail. She is a beast on the run. I will only take her on a bike ride if I am the only one on the trails. I would upload a pic but I don't have enough posts yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.