Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wout Van Art Rode Rim Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 11:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

In Strada Bianchi. Certainly a rider who knows the advantages of disc brakes did not use them and placed third. Brake choice, at least at the UCI pro level, is not as simple as these many discussions here would imply. Julian Anaphilpe won on discs. Honestly, Julian was riding so strong, brakes and bike brand did not matter. He would have won on any setup.
Old 03-09-19, 11:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
In Strada Bianchi. Certainly a rider who knows the advantages of disc brakes did not use them and placed third. Brake choice, at least at the UCI pro level, is not as simple as these many discussions here would imply. Julian Anaphilpe won on discs.
They get paid to ride the bikes provided by their sponsors. Very few of the top pros get much choice here. (Yes, they can speak up in private to their managers and mechanics, but come race day, they suit up, ride the bikes they've been given and say good things about them after the race if they are interviewed.) I wouldn't read too much into this.

Ben
Old 03-09-19, 11:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Disc brakes work the way I want my bike's brakes to work. Whatever other cyclists ride doesn't change that.
Old 03-10-19, 01:48 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Disc brakes work the way I want my bike's brakes to work. Whatever other cyclists ride doesn't change that.
Which really is my point. Everybody has reasons for their choice that goes beyond the basic arguments that get bandied about.
Old 03-10-19, 02:01 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
They get paid to ride the bikes provided by their sponsors. Very few of the top pros get much choice here. (Yes, they can speak up in private to their managers and mechanics, but come race day, they suit up, ride the bikes they've been given and say good things about them after the race if they are interviewed.) I wouldn't read too much into this.

Ben
It looks like most teams give their riders a pretty big choice of bikes to ride, disc and non disc, including Jumbo Visma.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...s-guide-152997
Old 03-10-19, 02:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I was watching some of the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Men's & Women's). It looks like the riders are on a mix of Disc & rim brakes.

The wheel change is apparently quicker for rim brakes if they should choose to change wheels rather than swapping bikes.
Old 03-10-19, 04:57 AM
Retoocs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
If you were to put accelerometers on the bikes and strain gages on the brake levers to monitor braking force, I guarantee no rider would come close to 100% except in a crash. Even on a closed course criterium with slow speed corners. Cyclist simply do not ride the same way as racecar driver or motorcyclists would around a track. Cyclist prefer longer gradual braking than short maximum braking. In reality, it didn't really matter which brakes you have if you never use the full capabilities.

The one exception would be carbon rims in the wet where discs are more consistent.
Old 03-11-19, 10:16 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
If you were to put accelerometers on the bikes and strain gages on the brake levers to monitor braking force, I guarantee no rider would come close to 100% except in a crash. Even on a closed course criterium with slow speed corners. Cyclist simply do not ride the same way as racecar driver or motorcyclists would around a track. Cyclist prefer longer gradual braking than short maximum braking. In reality, it didn't really matter which brakes you have if you never use the full capabilities.

The one exception would be carbon rims in the wet where discs are more consistent.
Incorrect.
Old 03-11-19, 10:34 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

In a pack, yea, gradual braking is key. However, I'm sure the best descenders are approaching wheel-locking levels of braking force when braking into hairpin turns while flying down a mountain, solo.
Old 03-11-19, 11:42 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
In a pack, yea, gradual braking is key. However, I'm sure the best descenders are approaching wheel-locking levels of braking force when braking into hairpin turns while flying down a mountain, solo.
Nope, nowhere near the maximum. You have to look at the kinematics involved in braking. As you decelerate, your high center of gravity will pivot about the front contact patch. As the weight transfers forward, your rear brakes lose its effectiveness as the normal force reaches zero in the friction equation. If you continue to increase the rate of deceleration your rear wheel will just come off the ground. That's the point where you reached maximum braking force when the rider is the limitation. On low grip surfaces, the front wheel will skid first.

If there is someone that brakes that hard, corner after corner, I would like to see a video of that.
Old 03-11-19, 11:53 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I was watching some of the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Men's & Women's). It looks like the riders are on a mix of Disc & rim brakes.

The wheel change is apparently quicker for rim brakes if they should choose to change wheels rather than swapping bikes.
Probably this. The race was dry, so limited benefit to discs. The benefit of a quicker wheel change in a race with high likelihood of puncturing probably outweighs the benefits of the better braking. But as you can see, different riders make different choices (and most riders have the option of a rim and disc version of each bike).

Why is this such a touchy subject anyway? Disc brakes are great, but rim brakes definitely have their place as well.
Old 03-11-19, 12:04 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
While this is certainly true for the brand of bike and wheels they use, you'd be surprised how much leeway the riders get in terms of setup. If you'd ever watch a GCN tech video with reviews of the pro bikes, you know what I mean:

- Often, some riders of a certain team for a certain race will be on disc brakes, while others are on rim brakes.
- Some will ride a mechanical groupset while others ride Etap or Di2. (Contador preferred mechanical)
- Some will ride 50mm deep wheels, others 30mm, etc.
- Obviously they get a choice of width of handlebars, length of stem, length of crankset, etc. etc.

And when it comes to personal fit choices, it goes even further: it is common for riders to ride a brand of saddle that is NOT their sponsor. In that case they will take off the logos. This is because the rider comfort goes above all else.
Old 03-11-19, 12:07 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
^^^^Agreed!
Old 03-11-19, 12:17 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Nope, nowhere near the maximum. You have to look at the kinematics involved in braking. As you decelerate, your high center of gravity will pivot about the front contact patch. As the weight transfers forward, your rear brakes lose its effectiveness as the normal force reaches zero in the friction equation. If you continue to increase the rate of deceleration your rear wheel will just come off the ground. That's the point where you reached maximum braking force when the rider is the limitation. On low grip surfaces, the front wheel will skid first.

If there is someone that brakes that hard, corner after corner, I would like to see a video of that.
Yes, absolutely at the maximum. That is exactly what racing is all about.
Old 03-11-19, 01:59 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Yes, absolutely at the maximum. That is exactly what racing is all about.
Just no. So much no.
Old 03-11-19, 02:53 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
He didn't win. What is this thread even about?
Old 03-11-19, 03:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

​​​​​​Most people (who aren't casual riders a few times a year) know the tires limit how much stopping power you have, not the brake system.

Hydraulic discs aren't about stopping power. They're about modulation, consistency in all weather, rim longevity for some people, lever force for some people, and just feel too for some people.
Old 03-11-19, 05:28 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by seau grateau
He didn't win. What is this thread even about?
Exactly. Oh, Alaphilippe won and used Disc brakes, Van Aert rode Rim brakes and was 3rd. If only Van Aert had had Disc brakes, he would have won!!

End this thread already.
Old 03-12-19, 05:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
From a service perspective I love disc brakes. Flush and bleed at least every 2 years means more service business. Warped rotors mean more service business. Replacing cheap stock rotors with good rotors means more service business. Lost pads mean more service business. Seriously, they are better for the service department.
Old 03-12-19, 05:15 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
In Strada Bianchi. Certainly a rider who knows the advantages of disc brakes did not use them and placed third. Brake choice, at least at the UCI pro level, is not as simple as these many discussions here would imply. Julian Anaphilpe won on discs. Honestly, Julian was riding so strong, brakes and bike brand did not matter. He would have won on any setup.
You'll note that Strade Bianchi was bone dry this year...unlike years past.
Old 03-13-19, 07:32 AM
maartendc

Honestly, Julian was riding so strong, brakes and bike brand did not matter. He would have won on any setup.
I'll let you in on a little secret, it never matters. All Worldtour teams use bikes that are very good.
Old 03-13-19, 08:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
...on gravel.

-Tim-
Old 03-16-19, 10:30 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts

You have one part of braking figured out. But rear wheel only lifts off ground if center of gravity is positioned so that this is possible. Under severe downhill braking anyone who is pushing hard has their butt way in back of saddle and may be wiping the rear tire with their shorts. Any who are braking downhill while still in saddle just aren't braking that hard. And of course it then makes no difference what brake system they are using.

Any who lift rear wheel on level ground are simply sitting too high and too forward. Standard configuration of a bicycle puts center of gravity where it is not possible to exit over handlebars. Were this not so bicycles would be too dangerous to use. Of course many will set up their bikes to make them dangerous.

You have it correct that limit on braking power is braking traction. Same for discs and rim brakes. Many simply prefer the feel of discs. Even if it is demonstrated to them that their wonderful super duper discs stop not one bit shorter than the guy next to them on rim brakes they still like the feel of discs.
Old 03-16-19, 10:53 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I'll let you in on a little secret, it never matters. All Worldtour teams use bikes that are very good.
Yup^^^ is the engine not the brakes on the bike...