Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's happening with Shimano North America?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 08:28 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

Noticed a few weeks ago that online German retailers have either dropped Shimano from their catalog (Rosebikes) or no longer deliver to North America (bike24, bike-components, bike-discount). Was looking for a crankset. Nothing on ChainReaction either.

You know what's happening with them?
Old 09-24-19, 08:58 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26409 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...yes, this has happened on a few of the UK discounters I used to order Shimano stuff from as well. I assumed it had something to do with the North American domestic marketers being unwilling/unable to compete on pricing, and thus a corporate decision was made in this direction. I've read some stuff in other threads about it, but I have little inside the industry insight myself.
Old 09-24-19, 10:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
CRC stated at the start of the year they wouldn't be supplying Shimano parts. Pretty sure Shimano got rid of the "non-full retail" suppliers. I know that many times CRC's price was lower than my LBS's wholesale price. Also with Price Point gone (years ago) and Performance (with Nashbar) bankrupt, the LBS's are going crazy with price increases. Looked at tubes the other day - $9.00.
Old 09-24-19, 10:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26409 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Also with Price Point gone (years ago) and Performance (with Nashbar) bankrupt, the LBS's are going crazy with price increases. Looked at tubes the other day - $9.00.
...I can't see this ending well.
Old 09-24-19, 10:40 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Tubeless it is!
Old 09-24-19, 10:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Noticed a few weeks ago that online German retailers have either dropped Shimano from their catalog (Rosebikes) or no longer deliver to North America (bike24, bike-components, bike-discount). Was looking for a crankset. Nothing on ChainReaction either.

You know what's happening with them?
Shimano is forcing you to pay US retail through US distributors. Went into effect back in July.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-24-19, 11:15 AM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It looks like you can still order Shimano bits from merlincycles in the UK. Wonder how much longer that will last?

John
Old 09-24-19, 01:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
anyone in Europe that is still selling Shimano to the U.S. at below wholesale is not getting the parts from Shimano. I'm not sure that Shimano has gotten to the point of tracking individual parts to see who the grey market suppliers are, but I think it's possible.

The Europeans were getting the parts at OEM prices and selling them retail, so of course the parts were cheaper. OEM parts are supposed to be warrantied by the OEM, so this is generally not allowed. But Shimano was tolerating it for a long time. They finally realized they need bike shops. That's where virtually all their parts are sold and supported, aftermarket is a small percentage of OEM.

I was looking at some Shimano parts recently and realized I can get them cheaper from my LBS than mail order. I'm generally willing to pay a premium from them, but I usually don't have to.
Old 09-24-19, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I have followed and used for one groupset, the UK bike shops for a few years. This explains why i have not seen as many shimano groupsets. Am guessing they are selling out their inventory and then that will be that for groups.

tires are still a really good deal...wonder when that will change

Old 09-24-19, 01:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
This topic is called either good or bad depending on one's placement in the manufacturer to consumer chain. Shimano is trying to produce a product with certain intangible qualities (along with all the cosmetic and mechanical features and functions). Two of these intangibles are customer service and perceived value.

Taking the US market as example- Why would a retailer or a supplier (and Shimano is a supplier here in the USA, no factory is in the US) want to loose money and service a product sold other through them? They (suppliers and shops) know that the warranty claim customer will just go back to the cheapest source the next time they need another Shimano part. Certainly the amount of references to over seas sources that we see posted here on Bike Forums speaks to this human behavior. But Shimano' manufacturing branch knows that their future value is somewhat dependent of the end user being able to get that warranty service. This is a part of the perceived value intangible. Shimano it trying to establish a level playing field for their US supplier branch, allowing the US sold bikes that use Shimano (the vastly larger part of Shimano's overall business, the after market is relatively small in comparison) to have quick and professional tech and warranty support.

When I read the claims as to how terrible the shutting down of grey market sources is I often wonder what business/work the writers do. I suspect that there's many examples of when these writers have said that protection for their products is good. Yet here they are bad mouthing this very thing when it costs them money.

Unrelated to what a product costs is the other shoe to drop. Where do you want your money to go? Are you good with sending it away from your community? (In this case your community is also your nation). Or do you like it when the guy/gal that sold you something can turn around and buy your product too. For all of Henry Ford's faults (politically really ugly ones too) he had the right idea about wanting his employees to be able to afford the cars Ford produced. Andy
Old 09-24-19, 03:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
[QUOTE=Andrew R Stewart;21136538Unrelated to what a product costs is the other shoe to drop. Where do you want your money to go? Are you good with sending it away from your community? (In this case your community is also your nation). Or do you like it when the guy/gal that sold you something can turn around and buy your product too. For all of Henry Ford's faults (politically really ugly ones too) he had the right idea about wanting his employees to be able to afford the cars Ford produced. Andy[/QUOTE]

I'd suspect the bulk of the cost is going to Shimano with a % going to CRC/Merlin/etc. What % is my LBS making? Is it the same as the UK dealers or more? Any money I saved is going to be spread within my community, just not necessarily at the LBS.
Old 09-24-19, 03:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Looked at tubes the other day - $9.00.
Fortunately Shimano isn't selling tubes.

Obviously there is a tremendous variation in tubes and prices. Wide, narrow, big, small, thornproof, slime, etc.

It looks like Road Tubes have gone up. I bought some Lifeline Tubes from Wiggle in 2017 for $1.30 each (10 packs).

Now up to a whopping $2.54 each (10 pack).

https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-road-inner-tube/

Still, those are retail prices, and a little shy of the $9 you're reporting at bike shops. I got hit by $8 road bike tubes (similar to the Wiggle tubes) a few years ago, and haven't been back to that shop since.
Old 09-24-19, 05:06 PM
2old

The $9 price was for "normal" 26" X 1.9 - 2.35 tubes (big deal; they had a 25% off sale). Fortunately, I purchased a large supply at 90% off the last day Performance was in business. However, my wife is using them at a higher than normal rate, ergo checking the price at my LBS.
Old 09-24-19, 06:16 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The one potential problem is obtaining components Shimano doesn't import to the US, for example their "Trekking" groups. I used to see them offered by German on-line shops but they now say they won't deliver to the US. No domestic shop carries them and Shimano's web site doesn't even list a US distributor for these groups.
Old 09-24-19, 06:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Historically there seem to be issues purchasing subcomponents too.

I.E. Any sprocket, cone, axle, screw, or bearing with a part number should be available, but frequently seems to be difficult to source, at least online.
Old 09-24-19, 06:28 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by HillRider
The one potential problem is obtaining components Shimano doesn't import to the US, for example their "Trekking" groups. I used to see them offered by German on-line shops but they now say they won't deliver to the US. No domestic shop carries them and Shimano's web site doesn't even list a US distributor for these groups.
Which is precisely what I am in the market for (FC-T8000). Fortunately I can use a European shipping address so this is a non issue. eBay is another possibility.

Strange situation. Usually the American market is very competitive. This is the exception that confirms the rule, I guess
Old 09-24-19, 09:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by dedhed
I'd suspect the bulk of the cost is going to Shimano with a % going to CRC/Merlin/etc. What % is my LBS making? Is it the same as the UK dealers or more? Any money I saved is going to be spread within my community, just not necessarily at the LBS.
When I owned Bike One I cleared a few percentage points after all was done. But if I didn't make a sale I got nothing. My employees didn't get anything. Their children didn't get anything. get the idea. I know my view isn't popular one but it's how it works.

BTW what do your do? Who pays for your life? Andy
Old 09-24-19, 11:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
CRC stated at the start of the year they wouldn't be supplying Shimano parts. Pretty sure Shimano got rid of the "non-full retail" suppliers. I know that many times CRC's price was lower than my LBS's wholesale price. Also with Price Point gone (years ago) and Performance (with Nashbar) bankrupt, the LBS's are going crazy with price increases. Looked at tubes the other day - $9.00.
I think this was the problem. American retailers told Shimano "we need our wholesale prices to be lower than what European OEMs can ship to the US for." And Shimano said "We hear you. So we will stop allowing the OEMs to sell things so cheap."

Nobody's ever explained why Shimano just couldn't lower their wholesale prices in the US.
Old 09-25-19, 08:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Leinster
I think this was the problem. American retailers told Shimano "we need our wholesale prices to be lower than what European OEMs can ship to the US for." And Shimano said "We hear you. So we will stop allowing the OEMs to sell things so cheap."

Nobody's ever explained why Shimano just couldn't lower their wholesale prices in the US.
ROI. Andy
Old 09-25-19, 09:21 AM
2old

When my shop has reasonable prices I always try to use them, but obscene profits force me to the internet. Fortunately, Shimano parts are available, and even though the profit margin might be high, the prices are low enough to not make this an issue.
Old 09-25-19, 10:51 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
... obscene profits ...
I've always wondered what those are but nobody has ever given an objective definition. Funny how we never hear complaints of obscene losses.
Old 09-25-19, 05:25 PM
gauvins

Things are possibly a little more complicated than it appeared. Comparing a few prices between German online and Amazon.com, I found them to be very close, and sometimes lower at Amazon. Because I am in the market for a trekking crank, it doesn't solve my (more) local availability problem. But I am no longer convinced that European consumer-facing sites are always much cheaper. Sure thing is that things have changed. Why and how, not clear. Upshot is that the situation in North America may be improving.
Old 09-25-19, 05:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
BTW what do your do? Who pays for your life? Andy
Sewer & Water aren't going away and can't be offshored or onlined. Infrastructure construction and maintenance is pretty much a local, or at least regional, thing.
The ratepayers support my bike stuff. If it makes you feel better, we only specify domestic materials on most everything we buy
Old 09-25-19, 06:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

dedhed- Yes I agree to a very large degree. But even with the basic social services we see out sourcing, privet contracting what had been classically a government supplied service. And the loss of feedback/control enters. I talked about intangibles being part of the situation, it if here that even basic services can falter with the loss of local oversight.

But you do make a good point. Not much to do with manufactures consumer goods, or having a choice to source form elsewhere. But a good point. Andy
Old 09-25-19, 10:47 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Working in the US bike industry, it was an annoying fact of life that some products were available near or actually below dealer cost. Businesses like CRC were buying parts outside of Shimano's normal supply chain, which US distributors would love to do, but cannot, and often relied on parts intended for the OEM market ending up in the aftermarket. Hey, I've actually ordered Shimano parts from CRC myself because it was cheaper than the 30% below wholesale I can get for completing all their training. I have heard of US shops ordering from CRC selectively.

In most of the EU there isn't legal enforceability of MAP, which is arguably a good policy, but really what accounts for the difference in price between the US and the EU is whether things come from Shimano NA's supply chain, another official Shimano supply chain, or diverted from OEM equipment. To my knowledge, in both China and in the EU it is an enforceable contract to stipulate that parts are to be installed on complete retail bicycles, and this has been ignored to a significant degree.

Unintended consequence on the trekking stuff and parts not intended for the NA market.

There's some shift in the industry towards focusing on service as a profit center because the real end margins on hard goods is typically pretty bad.

As or the price of tubes etc--on a lot of things, fully assembled bikes and other high price components, consumers shop prices pretty aggressively and/or they have pretty high risk or other costs (like the time to assemble bicycles, the space they consume, and the high rate of depreciation they have) and thus have actually very low margins, and in many cases actually result in a loss when all business costs are factored--so yeah, for some items that are not aggressively shopped margins are sometimes very high--classically, for tubes. Its pretty much a convenience tax for the very high costs of physically having a brick and mortar business. We pretty much assume if you are an enthusiast rider and you go through a lot of tubes and are sweating the cost, you're going to buy those online, although many shops will in fact sell at a much more ordinary margin if you want a bunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.