Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement Crank for mid-80’s Ciöcc

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-26-19, 12:07 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts

We recently received this lovely mid-80’s Ciöcc with full Campy Victory group as a donation at Bike Works in Seattle (bikeworks.org). Everything in excellent condition, except the drivetrain needs a thorough cleaning as well as the usual cable/housing replacements and clean white bar tape.

The Campy self-extracting crank bolt worked on the DS, but the NDS not at all. And this one has left-hand threaded dust cap threads! I think we will be doing the future owner a great service by putting on a crank with normal threads there.

So what crank would the esteemed C&V crowd suggest? BTW, I’m not sure yet if the Campy BB spindle is recoverable, but a replacement Italian-threaded BB can certainly be acquired.

And I will also post inquiries as to value in that BF Forum when we’re ready to sell, but suggestions here are certainly welcome. Note that the sew-ups and their rims look nearly new!

Old 09-26-19, 12:29 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
My Vitus 979 has a Victory Crankset. I rode 40 easy miles on it yesterday.

This crankset uses 116 BCD rings; my crankset is set up with climbing-friendly 36-50 rings.

The crankarms are removed with a 7mm hex key. Yes, 7; if you use a 6, you'll strip it. There is no reason (ever) to remove the self extracting bolts.

The BB has a 111mm symmetrical spindle, with a Campagnolo (ISO) taper. If you install a JIS taper unit, the arms will sit out roughly 3mm too far out on each side.
Old 09-26-19, 01:49 PM
Dfrost 

Originally Posted by hazetguy
It would be a shame to put a different crankset on there, since everything else looks to be a matched Campagnolo groupset. If I were looking at it, and the cranks had been changed, while everything else matched, it would really turn me off.
Yeah, the outer part of the self extracting bolts are left thread, but the hex part is righty-tighty/lefty-loosey on both sides.
Put "normal" crank bolts on with press-in dust caps?
Thanks for your thoughts. My concern for your suggested approach is that the crank will then only be removable with either a nearly unobtainable Campy tool or the dreaded “pickle fork”.

Last edited by Dfrost; 09-26-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 02:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Put a 110 bcd crank (use a MTB triple and use only the outer two rings). That will give the bike decent hill climbing abilities which is not a bad thing in the Pacific NW. The bike co op has to have a bunch of those floating around so that costs are zero (other than labor). Thrown in the old campy crank with the sale of the bike and let the buyer sort out what he or she wants to do. You are not going to maximize your return by paying an exorbitant amount of money for a defunct campy standard (116 bcd) to install on this bike. Keep the repair cheap and move the bike.
Old 09-26-19, 03:28 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Not picturing how you weren't able to use the self extracting bolt to get the arm off.
That's my first impression about this as well.

Yeah, unless the extractor threads in the crankarm (or the hex hole) been stripped, it should still be removable. Best option IMO is to use a 7mm hex bit socket with a big socket or torque wrench. Soak interface with penetrant first.
Old 09-26-19, 04:07 PM
Dfrost 

Can you explain how the self extracting bolt didn't work or why the nds arm didn't come off?
Did you try to remove the self extracting bolt from the crank arm by itself before trying to remove the arm? As Dave Mayer said "The crankarms are removed with a 7mm hex key. Yes, 7; if you use a 6, you'll strip it. There is no reason (ever) to remove the self extracting bolts."
Did the bolt strip the threads in the arm?
Not picturing how you weren't able to use the self extracting bolt to get the arm off.
The DS crank self-extracted just fine with a 7mm hex wrench. But the NDS crank bolt, using a not worn 7mm hex wrench, would not budge the arm from the spindle. We also tried with a brand new 7mm hex in a proper socket. No, we never used a 6mm wrench. I was hesitant to use any force against the frame itself, which is in gorgeous condition (cleaned up BB photo after everything had been removed below). With both tools, the hex in crank bolt started to round so the tools slipped. We tried to loosen the self-extracting “nut” from the arm, but the pin holes are smaller than any pin wrench we had available.

We were able to remove the spindle+arm+NDS cup from the bike, and also the Italian-threaded fixed DS cup. So the bike is now able to accept a replacement BB and crank. I’d like to use a Campy crank since the bike is so nice and complete, but we might just end up doing as you suggest, @bikemig, with one of the many cranks we have available.

One of the lead mechanics at Bike Works has managed to separate arm from spindle, but I haven’t seen the resulting parts yet.

Old 09-26-19, 06:23 PM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I wouldn’t be offended if swapped out the crank for something else (provided it was Italian) . But that’s just me,

Here’s a pic of mine, completely stock (except tires & cables, pedals which were ofmega), but mine was a “custom” build from Nashbar back in ‘85
Old 09-27-19, 02:26 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Get a Triomphe crank. They're better looking, anyway. And it will look like the rest of the group.

Triomphe and Victory used the same bb cups. The Triomphe spindle is a little longer, maybe by 5mm.
Old 09-27-19, 01:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Thanks for your thoughts. My concern for your suggested approach is that the crank will then only be removable with either a nearly unobtainable Campy tool or the dreaded “pickle fork”.
Euro-Asia Imports shows the proper tool in their catalog, but unless you have a dealer account with them, you'll have to order it through a bike shop:

https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...1731p11416.htm
Old 09-27-19, 01:59 PM
Dfrost 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Get a Triomphe crank. They're better looking, anyway. And it will look like the rest of the group.

Triomphe and Victory used the same bb cups. The Triomphe spindle is a little longer, maybe by 5mm.
Thanks for that suggestion. And they use conventional dust cap threads!

I’m having a PM conversation with a C&V member regarding a Triomphe crank + BB, and we’re also looking at what’s in the Bike Works Campy inventory.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 10-06-19, 10:31 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by shoff535
Here’s a pic of mine...
How do you like it? How does it stack up to your others?

The op's bike is still available. I don't "need" it, but it's so good looking...