Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Seatstay Crack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon Seatstay Crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 07:12 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Carbon Seatstay Crack

After my ride today, I noticed a small crack in the carbon monostay of my Bianchi S9. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or a failure. Anyone seen anything like this? The stays are Reynolds, and the crack is about a quarter inch long, right at the top of the monostay.
Old 10-02-19, 07:35 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Looks more like a join between the smooth part of the CF tube and the 'dimpled' part of the CF.
Doubt a coin tap would help. Probably needs bike shop eval if the you are first owner and a
warranty is applicable, but you might lose use of bike for awhile if it is. Based on the pix,
I think it is nothing to be concerned about.
Old 10-02-19, 07:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Was this bike bought by you through a shop? If so the I agree with having the shop (or other Bianchi dealer) examine the bike and have notes in their service system made. Even if they suggest it's no big deal you want the company to be on notice now. Do remember that most shops have no one with real carbon construction experience, sure there're lots of opinions but very few with true abilities. That isn't the point though. Getting documention now for any future ssue is.

I would also witness mark (love that term) the "crack's: ends best possible to further track development. Is there access to the mono stay's interion (vents, openings to other tubes)? If so then a penetrant could be introduced to the interion to see if it bleeds out via the "crack", Note that as a layered construct any crack might not be fully through the tube wall. Andy
Old 10-02-19, 08:17 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
If you'll carefully notice, it looks like there is a section of more textured carbon that runs up to a smoother section. Both seem to intersect at that junction point that appears to be a "crack". I think it's just a point of where the carbon layers met, not really a crack. But if it were me, I'd still have it looked at by someone competent in making such evaluations.

My guess is it shouldn't be so scary. But hey, I've been wrong before. I am married, after all.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 10-02-19, 08:54 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
What year is the frame?

Last edited by hefeweizen; 10-03-19 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 09:17 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Riding season gets shorter every year.
Old 10-03-19, 03:10 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
What is the opposite side like?
Pull it back and forth and see doesn't open up.
Go from there.
Old 10-03-19, 10:17 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Frame dates from 2005, and I did not buy it new. I did notice the difference in carbon texture right at the hairline. I will monitor the situation and see if it gets worse.
Old 10-03-19, 10:52 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
That is an odd place for a crack to develop, plus it does not follow the lug line, but is straight across the tube. As you said, monitor and inspect to see if it travels.